Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are the drunken Irish really a nuisance ?

Are the drunken Irish really a nuisance ?

Old Aug 10th 2012, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are the drunken Irish really a nuisance ?

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
You said 'the Irish'. If you mean a small minority of Irish people then perhaps thats what you should have said.
You're correct, I did say 'the Irish', however that was within a sentence that listed other things as being part - not all - of creating what St Patricks day is often seen as now, which is a massive piss up.

If you go out on St Patricks day in many countries you will see a lot of people pissed up, and that is the image of what "being Irish" can be taken as because its a national day of Ireland. Therefore it's not difficult to understand why there may be people who have a perception that Irish people are big drinkers, as people tend to generalise about a people group or country (just read threads in the barbie to see that).
Your question is irrelevant as I was talking about a particular perception. Why must Irish people prove themselves to be something just so that we don't gain a bad perception by others?
We're talking about how other people may perceive a people group, and why that might be the case. I've given an indication of where this might come from. It's not about the people group proving anything, it's about how other people see the way that the people group is represented - and a big piss up once a year is part of that.
But, perhaps many people see Irish as being artistic, creative, innovative and experienced in times of trouble. Also, perhaps caring, friendly, hard working and very charitable. Would you think otherwise? Your last statement suggests you've shared your opinion on this.
I've not given my opinion about the Irish, as I've already said. The question I asked is relevant, however you don't seem to be understanding the concept of people getting a perception of a people group from what has become a large international party for a national day of one small country.

However, as you can't get past this suggestion of where a perception might come from, and think from an outside point of view, I will say that I do not share that perception of considering the Irish are a bunch of drunks.

If you don't think that St Patrick day piss ups might be a part of people forming this perception, then what do you suggest that it could be from?
Old Aug 10th 2012, 11:42 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy©
in my opinion there not many better or kinder than the irish

i grew up in an area full of irish, i even went there when i turned 18
i have never met people so kind in my life!
its something that has always stuck with me and i often mention it
to the point when im pissed and i bump into someone irish i can just see them thinking
oh here we go
another 'ive been to ireland once'
but they would never brush me off
they are proud proud people.
they love a drink, cant blame them for that. they work bloody hard enough to earn it.
most of all they love to party, and be heard while they are doing it.
it annoys a lot of people because they dont see the world they way the irish do.
in my opinion the irish way of thinking is work hard, party hard and always make sure your family around you are secure first

i love a night out with the irish. have you ever tried to have a serious conversation with a group of them when they are on the piss lol

Rant over
I nearly,very nearly,had a wee tear in me eye there pal.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 7:33 am
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Zambia
It was, I was reading yours that made a basic sweeping statement about all Irish being a a nuisance.

Is that what you meant ?

Bout sums it up. Every geo-ethnic region has to have it's pee on people. UK is the Irish. Canada is the Nuffies (sp?). USA has Arkansas...
Old Aug 11th 2012, 7:47 am
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

I can't think of many other Olympic medal winners whose relatives would be barred en masse from celebrating in local pubs, can you ?

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...y-3196651.html
Old Aug 11th 2012, 7:55 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furbacchione
Bout sums it up. Every geo-ethnic region has to have it's pee on people. UK is the Irish. Canada is the Nuffies (sp?). USA has Arkansas...
Newfies (derivitive of Newfoundlanders)
Old Aug 11th 2012, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cuthbert Rizla
I can't think of many other Olympic medal winners whose relatives would be barred en masse from celebrating in local pubs, can you ?

Amazing. How do you rate countries who have athletes busting up shop fronts, taking performance enhancing drugs, having countless affairs, beats up their colleagues, steals? My opinion on those countries is that they have the occasional tosser just like all countries.

The story you reference gives no detail on what happened. Are you a sucker for the tabloids?

Regarding Ireland being a piss on country for England. True in many ways. But Ireland wins more respect around the world than England. It's a shame that some idiots insist on being ignorant. They prove themselves to be a weak human being.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 8:51 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a boxing thing more than an Irish thing.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 8:58 am
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

Amazing. How do you rate countries who have athletes busting up shop fronts, taking performance enhancing drugs, having countless affairs, beats up their colleagues, steals? My opinion on those countries is that they have the occasional tosser just like all countries.

The story you reference gives no detail on what happened. Are you a sucker for the tabloids?

Regarding Ireland being a piss on country for England. True in many ways. But Ireland wins more respect around the world than England. It's a shame that some idiots insist on being ignorant. They prove themselves to be a weak human being.
Did you actually read it ?

Nevin was Ireland's first medal winner at the Olympics yet his relatives - who are all from Traveller/Gypsy stock were barred from watching the fight in his home town.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 9:00 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I was on your side until you came out with that nonsense

Regarding Ireland being a piss on country for England. True in many ways. But Ireland wins more respect around the world than England.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 9:02 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

It sound as though there was a fight in one of the pubs ?

Did you actually read it ?

Nevin was Ireland's first medal winner at the Olympics yet his relatives - who are all from Traveller/Gypsy stock were barred from watching the fight in his home town.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 9:48 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Every time you post something its says a little bit about you. What do you think this tells me about you champ?
Old Aug 11th 2012, 10:39 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, In Australia we have those "fresh off the plane" type twats that go out & buy Aussie hats & sunnies & try & fit straight in:
Attached Thumbnails Are the drunken Irish really a nuisance ?-fresh-plane.jpg  
Old Aug 11th 2012, 12:33 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zambia
Every time you post something its says a little bit about you. What do you think this tells me about you champ?
Why? He's not wrong. Doesn't matter how non PC it is, it's a fact of life.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 1:18 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Why? He's not wrong. Doesn't matter how non PC it is, it's a fact of life.
I asked him to clarify something which he did in the first 4 words there. Thats what spoke volumes to me.

You need to examine the whole exchange of posts
Old Aug 11th 2012, 1:27 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

they are a nuisance, drunken or sober

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.