Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are the drunken Irish really a nuisance ?

Are the drunken Irish really a nuisance ?

Old Aug 10th 2012, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are the drunken Irish really a nuisance ?

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
My comment was about the perception of Irish people and yet the real idiots are the ones with these small minded opinions.
Its not really much of a surprise that there is a perception of Irish people being a bunch of drunks, whether true or not. St Patricks day has been pushed and morphed so much into a massive piss up in multiple countries, largely down to the Irish, descendants of Irish, or certain Irish drink companies. That is the image of Ireland and the Irish being pushed globally. Other than that, what image of Ireland and the Irish is being pushed around the world, especially to such a level?
Old Aug 10th 2012, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Its not really much of a surprise that there is a perception of Irish people being a bunch of drunks, whether true or not. St Patricks day has been pushed and morphed so much into a massive piss up in multiple countries, largely down to the Irish, descendants of Irish, or certain Irish drink companies. That is the image of Ireland and the Irish being pushed globally. Other than that, what image of Ireland and the Irish is being pushed around the world, especially to such a level?
Oh it's our own fault. I see. Thanks for your wisdom. Perhaps this is just your opinion that the Irish have themselves to blame for this label. St. Patricks day is celebrated the world over not only by the Irish. In fact, it would be impossible for it to even be mostly Irish. Most people seem to enjoy it. We don't all get fitshaced and start fights.

Quite amazing that people over here would have that opinion about St. Patricks day when Australia day and Anzac day are far bigger drinking days than it. In fact, they are far bigger drinking days than a St. Patricks day in Ireland.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Oh it's our own fault. I see. Thanks for your wisdom. Perhaps this is just your opinion that the Irish have themselves to blame for this label. St. Patricks day is celebrated the world over not only by the Irish. In fact, it would be impossible for it to even be mostly Irish. Most people seem to enjoy it. We don't all get fitshaced and start fights.
I said the Irish, descendants of Irish (e.g. particularly big in the US), and certain Irish drink companies. I didn't put it all on the Irish, and I also didn't put it all on those 3 categories - if you read my post. Some of it is down to the Irish, quite a bit of it actually (and it seems you've just presumed that I don't have any Irish blood in me, which is a bit of a surprise coming from someone shouting xenophobia).
Quite amazing that people over here would have that opinion about St. Patricks day when Australia day and Anzac day are far bigger drinking days than it. In fact, they are far bigger drinking days than a St. Patricks day in Ireland.
Not sure if you've noticed, but Australians have a reputation elsewhere of being big drinkers...

Other than that, what image of Ireland and the Irish is being pushed around the world, especially to such a level?
I notice you missed this question?
Old Aug 10th 2012, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I said the Irish, descendants of Irish (e.g. particularly big in the US), and certain Irish drink companies. I didn't put it all on the Irish, and I also didn't put it all on those 3 categories - if you read my post. Some of it is down to the Irish, quite a bit of it actually (and it seems you've just presumed that I don't have any Irish blood in me, which is a bit of a surprise coming from someone shouting xenophobia).Not sure if you've noticed, but Australians have a reputation elsewhere of being big drinkers...

I notice you missed this question?
Your first point says 'All Irish' every way I read it. I never made a call on whether you have irish blood or not. It's irrelevant.

Yes, Australians have a reputation of being big drinkers. But yet, its the Irish who are seen as the drunken idiots. Makes little sense, doesnt it?

Your question is irrelevant.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Your first point says 'All Irish' every way I read it.
Perhaps you should read it slowly and calmly, and read what I actually wrote. Also, I haven't even suggested what my own opinion or perception is of Irish people, only that which can be considered being reinforced due to one big thing.
Your question is irrelevant.
It is totally relevant as we're talking about perceptions of a people group, and the question relates directly to that. Seriously, what image other than a massive party on St Patricks day with loads of drinking is being pushed globally to that level?
Old Aug 10th 2012, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Perhaps you should read it slowly and calmly, and read what I actually wrote. Also, I haven't even suggested what my own opinion or perception is of Irish people, only that which can be considered being reinforced due to one big thing.It is totally relevant as we're talking about perceptions of a people group, and the question relates directly to that. Seriously, what image other than a massive party on St Patricks day with loads of drinking is being pushed globally to that level?
You said 'the Irish'. If you mean a small minority of Irish people then perhaps thats what you should have said.

Your question is irrelevant as I was talking about a particular perception. Why must Irish people prove themselves to be something just so that we don't gain a bad perception by others?

But, perhaps many people see Irish as being artistic, creative, innovative and experienced in times of trouble. Also, perhaps caring, friendly, hard working and very charitable. Would you think otherwise? Your last statement suggests you've shared your opinion on this.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 8:16 am
saoirse

Call me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 10th 2012, 8:34 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Aussie have a bad reputation overseas but as with anything it is the minority giving the majority a bad name, same with the Irish I suspect.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 9:05 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

in my opinion there not many better or kinder than the irish

i grew up in an area full of irish, i even went there when i turned 18
i have never met people so kind in my life!
its something that has always stuck with me and i often mention it
to the point when im pissed and i bump into someone irish i can just see them thinking
oh here we go
another 'ive been to ireland once'
but they would never brush me off
they are proud proud people.
they love a drink, cant blame them for that. they work bloody hard enough to earn it.
most of all they love to party, and be heard while they are doing it.
it annoys a lot of people because they dont see the world they way the irish do.
in my opinion the irish way of thinking is work hard, party hard and always make sure your family around you are secure first

i love a night out with the irish. have you ever tried to have a serious conversation with a group of them when they are on the piss lol

Rant over
Old Aug 10th 2012, 9:30 am
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Cuthbert Rizla
A number of stories have appeared in the Irish media about the drunken antics of Irish youths who have moved in large numbers to Australia since the Celtic Tiger crashed.

This is the latest:

A 28-year-old Irishman has been charged with aggravated assault following an attack on an Australian MP during an anti-violence press conference.

A video on YouTube appears to show John Elferink, a politician with the CLP party, being kicked from behind during the outdoor press conference in Darwin yesterday afternoon.

A scuffle ensued with the alleged attacker, who appeared to be drunk. Mr Elferink, a former policeman, is seen trying to hold on to the man.

"I turned and grabbed him by the collar to hold him until I could hand him over to police custody," said Mr Elferink.

Friends of the Irishman then became involved in the altercation before all three fled the scene.

It follows a recent story about an Irishman who has banned fellow Irish people staying in his Oz hostel.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...el-199096.html

Are these isolated incidents or are the Irish a more significant nuisance than other immigrants ?

Maybe I've missed the point but aren't all irish a nuisance regardless of sobriety.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 9:50 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furbacchione
Maybe I've missed the point but aren't all irish a nuisance regardless of sobriety.
Is there any way I have misread your post ?
Old Aug 10th 2012, 9:53 am
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Zambia
Is there any way I have misread your post ?
You might want to read the original post. Wasn't it about drunken irish
Old Aug 10th 2012, 10:17 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furbacchione
You might want to read the original post. Wasn't it about drunken irish
It was, I was reading yours that made a basic sweeping statement about all Irish being a a nuisance.

Is that what you meant ?
Old Aug 10th 2012, 10:22 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zambia
It was, I was reading yours that made a basic sweeping statement about all Irish being a a nuisance.

Is that what you meant ?
I think he was trying for a rather crass attempt at a wind up.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 10:25 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I think he was trying for a rather crass attempt at a wind up.
lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.