Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are the drunken Irish really a nuisance ?

Are the drunken Irish really a nuisance ?

Old Aug 6th 2012, 12:48 pm
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold
Default Are the drunken Irish really a nuisance ?

A number of stories have appeared in the Irish media about the drunken antics of Irish youths who have moved in large numbers to Australia since the Celtic Tiger crashed.

This is the latest:

A 28-year-old Irishman has been charged with aggravated assault following an attack on an Australian MP during an anti-violence press conference.

A video on YouTube appears to show John Elferink, a politician with the CLP party, being kicked from behind during the outdoor press conference in Darwin yesterday afternoon.

A scuffle ensued with the alleged attacker, who appeared to be drunk. Mr Elferink, a former policeman, is seen trying to hold on to the man.

"I turned and grabbed him by the collar to hold him until I could hand him over to police custody," said Mr Elferink.

Friends of the Irishman then became involved in the altercation before all three fled the scene.

It follows a recent story about an Irishman who has banned fellow Irish people staying in his Oz hostel.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...el-199096.html

Are these isolated incidents or are the Irish a more significant nuisance than other immigrants ?
Old Aug 6th 2012, 12:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are the drunken Irish really a nuisance ?

Three of them proposed marriage to my friend and I last night, they were definitely a nuisance!
Old Aug 6th 2012, 1:57 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cuthbert Rizla
It follows a recent story about an Irishman who has banned fellow Irish people staying in his Oz hostel.
http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...el-199096.html
...which is illegal under s9(1) of the Racial Discrimination Act 1975 (Cth) (if it's not a spoof that's been misreported as a straight story, of course).
Old Aug 6th 2012, 3:41 pm
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

More on the original nuisance ...

http://youtu.be/_vf8u-a82cI
Old Aug 7th 2012, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

The video is quite funny. I'm not sure it was the best idea to hold a press conference outside a backpacker bar.

You do get a lot of irish drunken idiots but then theres a fair few drunken british and aussie idiots around too. They are all a nuisance but its probably nothing worth worrying about too much.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 8:06 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

They're no more annoying than the millions of pseudo Irish that crawl out of the woodwork on St Pats day. You can't move in Brisbane for ockers doing their best "diddly dee potato's & to be sure" impersonations
Old Aug 7th 2012, 8:08 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed...............and us Jocks are just so freaking perfect.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe in the circles where people hire backpackers in large numbers. There was one report out of Perth that I remember.

Thinking back to things reported on here it is possibly more likely fights between drunken Brits in places like the northern suburbs of Perth may have pierced the general populations conscious more due to the far larger number of British immigrants.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 11:38 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly we have exported these d**kheads from various places in Ireland. They are just your basic knacker scumbag.

On the other hand I have met far more Irish people with a hard work ethic and a desire to excel in Hospitals, building sites, offices, the civil service etc. No nationality should be measured by its lowest piont.

This is bloke is just some w*nker who thinks he is funny.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 11:53 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

well said that man!
Old Aug 7th 2012, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is bordering on xenophobia. When I came over here, it was assumed that I drank a lot. I don't. This type of thing really annoys me. I lived in Waverley for a very short time and saw just how crazy that area can get. But, even though there were plenty of Irish in the mix, there was plenty of other nationalities too. Drug taking, loud house parties most nights etc. Not my scene, good luck to those who live like that. I moved.

But, it's the Irish that get this reputation. My ex boss from the last job was an actual idiot who had no concept of professionalism in the work place. Telling Irish jokes, calling me a pikey, making statements about some of the girls in the office and what they were wearing. In Ireland, where common sense is applied, he'd have been sacked in a like for like company.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 9:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
This thread is bordering on xenophobia....... .
Far from it in my case; yes the guys who kept proposing to us were pains of the Irish backpacker type, but some of their mates were very funny, as were the Irish & Scottish guys we met earlier. I've had more painful nights fending off pissed-up Aussies, prefer the Irish any day! My best mate is Irish and there's no-one better to share a beer with - or a glass of water come to that, don't have to be drunk to have fun
Old Aug 9th 2012, 9:13 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
My ex boss from the last job was an actual idiot who had no concept of professionalism in the work place. Telling Irish jokes, calling me a pikey, making statements about some of the girls in the office and what they were wearing. .
There's a pretty high tolerance of that rubbish in oz. imagine what it's like to be Indian or Sudanese...
Old Aug 9th 2012, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
There's a pretty high tolerance of that rubbish in oz. imagine what it's like to be Indian or Sudanese...
Is there? Never witnessed behaviour like that in decades of office jobs...
Old Aug 9th 2012, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
There's no denying they have it far worse. But I wasn't calling Australians racist. My comment was about the perception of Irish people and yet the real idiots are the ones with these small minded opinions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.