Drones

Old Jan 7th 2017, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Drones

So with the new CASA rules it doesn't look like you can fly with 5km of an airfield - does this include Helicopter landing pads?

Found this site which seems to map the restricted zones. If I look at Sydney, options are pretty thin.

http://www.wickedcopters.com.au/page/apps/
Old Jan 7th 2017, 11:17 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drones

Originally Posted by Beoz
So with the new CASA rules it doesn't look like you can fly with 5km of an airfield - does this include Helicopter landing pads?

Found this site which seems to map the restricted zones. If I look at Sydney, options are pretty thin.

Apps
It's pretty obvious that these aren't viable rules going forward and that CASA are going to have to be dragged in the direction of sanity eventually. In particular those helicopter landing pad exclusion zone are going to have to go. The problem with a bureaucratic mindset is the idea that just because you had a committee and defined some (usually regressive/conservative) view of the world, everyone is going to follow you. Bad rules are worse than no rules since people just ignore they whole thing - as they have been.

The place it could get really interesting is at the intersection of drone heights, flight paths, and noise envelopes. The aviation community has conventionally ignored the complaints of those they overfly at a low height causing noise disturbance. Now those same people are going to get told "because of the aviation noise you suffer from, no delivery drones for you". I get the feeling they are going to tell the aviation industry in no uncertain terms to take a running jump and that they can no longer fly so low or determine that airspace - invalidating many airports.

Of course, we could take a good free market view of it and say that air users have to pay for access, and for disturbance caused - with the money winning out (as it usually does).
Old Jan 7th 2017, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
It's pretty obvious that these aren't viable rules going forward and that CASA are going to have to be dragged in the direction of sanity eventually. In particular those helicopter landing pad exclusion zone are going to have to go. The problem with a bureaucratic mindset is the idea that just because you had a committee and defined some (usually regressive/conservative) view of the world, everyone is going to follow you. Bad rules are worse than no rules since people just ignore they whole thing - as they have been.

The place it could get really interesting is at the intersection of drone heights, flight paths, and noise envelopes. The aviation community has conventionally ignored the complaints of those they overfly at a low height causing noise disturbance. Now those same people are going to get told "because of the aviation noise you suffer from, no delivery drones for you". I get the feeling they are going to tell the aviation industry in no uncertain terms to take a running jump and that they can no longer fly so low or determine that airspace - invalidating many airports.

Of course, we could take a good free market view of it and say that air users have to pay for access, and for disturbance caused - with the money winning out (as it usually does).
So back to the present, there seems to be some vagueness around the rules. The helipad thing discounts most urban places but the rules seem to suggest its ok, below a certain height, with care.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Apps
I agree, you couldn't possibly get a drone off the ground with 5 km of an airfield (attached).

Happy New Year.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Jan 10th 2017 at 11:53 pm. Reason: Edited. Irrelevant and baiting.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 7:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

https://www.suasnews.com/2017/01/virginia-tech-assessing-injury-risk-unmanned-aircraft/

Here you go Garry. Keep an eye on these studies. When the results are through you can send them to CASA.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 3:52 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Apps
That rule has been around for all model aircraft for a while

It's a bit OTT but CASA are a bit more switched on to recreational drone use compared to the FAA
Old Jan 10th 2017, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
That rule has been around for all model aircraft for a while

It's a bit OTT but CASA are a bit more switched on to recreational drone use compared to the FAA
So where do you fly your drones to keep within the rules?
Old Jan 10th 2017, 11:36 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

So where do you fly your drones to keep within the rules?
At the park, out in the bush, at the beach

Don't stress too much about the 5km rule - just be sensible. Don't fly too high, near people, keep the drone in sight etc - unlike this asshole:

Old Jan 11th 2017, 1:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
At the park, out in the bush, at the beach

Don't stress too much about the 5km rule - just be sensible. Don't fly too high, near people, keep the drone in sight etc - unlike this asshole:

I had it flying in a pretty quiet section of a park the other evening. Dog walkers kept coming through, a few of them stopped for a chat (within 30m). Their dogs wanted to get the chops on the drone. Time to leave.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 7:16 am
Proudly Deplorable

I had it flying in a pretty quiet section of a park the other evening. Dog walkers kept coming through, a few of them stopped for a chat (within 30m). Their dogs wanted to get the chops on the drone. Time to leave.
Flying in a busy park can be tricky - everyone wants a look. But I've seen people flying them in Kings Park without any bother. Someone was flying a Phantom 3 around the campsite at Hamelin Bay a few weeks ago - nobody minded too much as he kept his flights short and didn't hover it near people
Old Jan 18th 2017, 5:38 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I started making drone films for fun and to promote my photography business early last year and am going to get licensed very soon. The laws around where you can and can't fly a drone are incredibly restrictive and, like so many things in Australia, every organisation/government body wants to have a say in it. That said, people do fly them stupidly - right over the top of extremely busy beaches, around Sydney Harbour, off hotel balconies at night - I've seen 'em all. Sooner or later someone's going to hurt someone with a drone and the suddenly thousands of recreational flyers will be left with expensive paperweights.

There's a senate review coming towards the middle of this year when, hopefully, a lot of it will resolved.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 5:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hutch
I started making drone films for fun and to promote my photography business early last year and am going to get licensed very soon. The laws around where you can and can't fly a drone are incredibly restrictive and, like so many things in Australia, every organisation/government body wants to have a say in it. That said, people do fly them stupidly - right over the top of extremely busy beaches, around Sydney Harbour, off hotel balconies at night - I've seen 'em all. Sooner or later someone's going to hurt someone with a drone and the suddenly thousands of recreational flyers will be left with expensive paperweights.

There's a senate review coming towards the middle of this year when, hopefully, a lot of it will resolved.
The current laws say that commercial use needs approval / license. So it looks like your photography business falls into that category. Even posting you droned video on youtube needs a license as the video can be for commercial use.

I was on a Christmas cruise on Sydney Harbour where they were flying a drone and capturing snaps of people on the boat. The pilot swore he new all the rules and was complying.

Yep needs some clear guidelines
Old Jan 18th 2017, 5:54 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

The current laws say that commercial use needs approval / license. So it looks like your photography business falls into that category. Even posting you droned video on youtube needs a license as the video can be for commercial use.

I was on a Christmas cruise on Sydney Harbour where they were flying a drone and capturing snaps of people on the boat. The pilot swore he new all the rules and was complying.

Yep needs some clear guidelines
I'm well aware of the laws mate, sounds like you aren't. There was a change to CASA regs in September 2016, whereby any drone under 2kg (which mine is) can be flown commercially when abiding by standard drone operating procedures - 120m height, 30m from people, boats, vehicles and buildings, never over populous areas, 5.5km from airfields etc etc. You need to get an ARN (which I have) and notify CASA five days prior to first flight (which I did).
Old Jan 18th 2017, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hutch
I'm well aware of the laws mate, sounds like you aren't. There was a change to CASA regs in September 2016, whereby any drone under 2kg (which mine is) can be flown commercially when abiding by standard drone operating procedures - 120m height, 30m from people, boats, vehicles and buildings, never over populous areas, 5.5km from airfields etc etc. You need to get an ARN (which I have) and notify CASA five days prior to first flight (which I did).
Touchy ......... Apologies, I didn't mean to tread on your drone expertise.

You mean these laws for the under 2kg commercial flights?

https://www.casa.gov.au/standard-pag...raft-under-2kg

Still requires time consuming actions. Can't just get up in the morning and say "hey I want to take some stunning images of that beautiful sunset" and post them on Facebook.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 7:32 am
Australia's Doorman

Still requires time consuming actions. Can't just get up in the morning and say "hey I want to take some stunning images of that beautiful sunset" and post them on Facebook.
Absolutely correct. There is a clear disconnect between the sale of consumer grade drones in high street electronics stores to customers of any age ... and the stringent flight regulations attached to the use of same. And that's before you even get into subjects like controlled and restricted airspace, the complete ban on drones in Commonwealth parks, the complete ban on drones in Marine parks, the written permission required to fly in National Parks and the touchy subject of privacy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.