Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Driving License Swap

Wikiposts

Driving License Swap

Old Oct 28th 2008, 8:07 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light
Default Driving License Swap

Hi All

I need to get my UK driving license swapped to an ozzy one. Can I go to any motor registry in NSW? There is one in Castle hill that is quite handy, OR is there a central one that I will have to visit?

Also, I can only find the photo part of the license, will I need the paper part too?

Mark
Old Oct 28th 2008, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

jancath2008 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Driving License Swap

It has been 4 years since I swopped mine so this might be out dated info.
I believe you can go into any RTA, I went to my local one in the shire.
You can go on the RTA web site and all the info is there.
I took all of bits of licence but they only photocopied my photo card. I also had to do the computerised part of the driving test, I believe you do not have to do this anymore. If you do take the on-line do the practise tests on the web site. I failed miserably.......one going Awww bless beware of possums instead of flying cows,ran out of time, 2 cos I thought a hazardous waste sign on the back of a semi was a narrow bridge!
Also, your first licence only lasts for a year, so check the expiry date until you can pay the $140 for the 5yr one!
Hope this helps!
Good luck!
jancath
Old Oct 28th 2008, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

margy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to all

Hi,

We transfered our UK driving licence on Monday at the licencing centre in Perth. I just took my card driving licence, God knows where the paper part is, also took passport and proof of an Aussie address. Cost $150 in all for the transfer and the 5 year licence. You can just do it for a year and then renew after that. Don't forget to take your glasses or wear your contacts as they ask you to read a board to make sure you can see.

They take a digital picture of you whilst you are there and they let you keep the temporary licence and send the actual licence to you in about 5-10 working days.

Thanks.

M
Old Oct 28th 2008, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

jancath2008 will become famous soon enough

State to State can be different. In NSW they process your licence immediatelyand give you the card. Gosh you are right Marji, I forgot the proof of address,
It has been 4 years!
Take care
Jancath
Old Oct 28th 2008, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Got ours in May. Not sure if you need the paper part...we had ours. Didnt have to do a test, just a vision test. Licence was issued immediately & for 5 years. Just went in to local RTA office & we are in NSW.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 10:42 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks all, I'll pop down there tomorrow...