Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Dreading summer 😓

Dreading summer 😓

Old Oct 17th 2019, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dreading summer 😓

Originally Posted by Beoz
I live in Sydney with only ceiling fans in the house. Aircon would be ok on the odd day but very low priority.
Clearly not Western Sydney then
Old Oct 17th 2019, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarahnal
I’m not sure if it’s getting worse, or I’m getting more intolerant of it as I get old(er).
So, I’m thinking of moving somewhere a little kinder - not too humid in summer and not too cold in winter.
Definitely not just you Sarah! The climate is changing. I have noticed that in the last 7 years since I emigrated over, the summer hot periods are not just a little hotter, but they go on for longer. I have evaporative air con which works well most of the time, is very cheap to run (especially with solar on the roof too) but it struggles a bit over 40C. When we have the 44-45C days the air con is not much more than a big fan blowing fresh air through the house, but still that's better than no cooling at all.

If you're considering a move, have you considered moving inland? It still gets hot, but it tends to be a dry heat rather than a humid in-your-face heat.
Old Oct 17th 2019, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

We are relative newbies, having only been over here from NZ for the last 2 1/2 years. We live in Western Sydney and the summers have been quite brutal at times, with the first rental not have operable aircon for most of it.

We have also been looking at other places, and Port Macquarie is one that we are looking at also. The only real issue that keep coming up is that people sometime feel isolated because there is no other place within easy striking distance, but certainly the climate seems cooler most of the time due to the coastal element. We are also looking at around Newcastle and also south of Sydney, or even going down to the Alpine mountains as getting higher tends to take the temperature down, although again this can be more isolated.

Yesterday my other half was almost hyperventilating with the warmth (she's laughing about it today), and we are not anywhere near the pointy end of the heat :O
Old Oct 17th 2019, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, spouse of scouse, thanks for your reply and for welcoming � ����
I used to be a member many moons ago, I discovered this site AFTER we emigrated - it would’ve been so much easier if I’d found it before!
I haven’t been to Perth, but I’ve been in Victoria (Ovens Valley!!) over summer before which was really hot, but a dry heat. It’s the humidity here that kills me here, its only 9am and the beginning of spring and I’m already shut inside with the aircon on dry mode after nearly expiring walking the dog this morning!
I’d just like a reprieve from the heat during the day for a bit longer than a few weeks in the depths of winter.
Queensland is beautiful, I love it here, but it’s gonna kill me soon � ����

i don’t know where you live on the Sunshine Coast, but I’ve lived here for 16 years and I think much older than you well in my 70’s and I really don’t feel the same as you. I don’t know where you walked to get so hot by 9am but I must live in a different area, as I walked this morning and didn’t expire, and there is no way I am inside with the aircon on. I also walked at 5pm, lovely breeze blowing, a great walk.
Suggest if you live close enough that you walk by the sea, it’s usually cooler, but that’s not where I walked today.
i agree that it is hot and humid for about 3 months of the year, but the other 9 months are lovely.

Mind you I lived in Brunei for 10 years and that really is hot and .humid

Last edited by tomar; Oct 17th 2019 at 9:15 am.
Old Oct 17th 2019, 9:23 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomar

i don’t know where you live on the Sunshine Coast, but I’ve lived here for 16 years and I think much older than you well in my 70’s and I really don’t feel the same as you. I don’t know where you walked to get so hot by 9am but I must live in a different area, as I walked this morning and didn’t expire, and there is no way I am inside with the aircon on. I also walked at 5pm, lovely breeze blowing, a great walk.
Suggest if you live close enough that you walk by the sea, it’s usually cooler, but that’s not where I walked today.
i agree that it is hot and humid for about 3 months of the year, but the other 9 months are lovely.

Mind you I lived in Brunei for 10 years and that really is hot and .humid
That's the thing though, what feels pleasant to some people can feel like a sweat box to others. We're all different
Old Oct 17th 2019, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
That's the thing though, what feels pleasant to some people can feel like a sweat box to others. We're all different
i realise that, which is why I posted an alternative view.
Old Oct 17th 2019, 9:51 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

We often retreat to Mount Tamborine in the height of summer, it’s nice up there and a fair chunk off the heat and humidity even though it’s less than an hour’s drive.

Still QLD though so never going to be what you call temperate and a fair way from an airport (Gold Coast being the easiest to get to).

Maybe get yourself some elevation?

We find a large metal frame pool helps maintain sanity, ours has lasted 3 years and it’s been $600 well spent.
Old Oct 17th 2019, 10:39 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomar

i realise that, which is why I posted an alternative view.
Oh, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, sorry if it came across that way. Just excusing my own dicky thermostat I suppose
Old Oct 24th 2019, 1:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbo25
Clearly not Western Sydney then
Never ..... if you had to live in many parts of Western Sydney you might as well save a buck and live in Brisbane.

But you make a good point. The temperature difference between Western and Eastern Sydney is vast, on some days a 10 degree difference over 40km's. Eastern Sydney gets the sea breeze and benefits from the coastal temperate climate. Western Sydney does not.

Old Dec 1st 2019, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

PittwaterPrincess is an unknown quantity at this point

OH works in Townsville.
I really like Magnetic Island. The sea breeze and forest makes it cooler than the mainland I have found, and your OH can catch the ferry to Townsville each day.