Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Dreading summer ๐Ÿ˜“

Dreading summer ๐Ÿ˜“

Old Oct 15th 2019, 12:45 am
Just Joined

Sarahnal has a reputation beyond reputeSarahnal has a reputation beyond reputeSarahnal has a reputation beyond reputeSarahnal has a reputation beyond reputeSarahnal has a reputation beyond reputeSarahnal has a reputation beyond reputeSarahnal has a reputation beyond reputeSarahnal has a reputation beyond reputeSarahnal has a reputation beyond reputeSarahnal has a reputation beyond reputeSarahnal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dreading summer ๐Ÿ˜“

Hey Everyone, Iโ€™ve lived on the Sunshine Coast for 16yrs now and at this time every year I seem to dread summer a little bit more than the year before. I just donโ€™t get on with the humidity, Iโ€™m not sure if itโ€™s getting worse, or Iโ€™m getting more intolerant of it as I get old(er).
So, Iโ€™m thinking of moving somewhere a little kinder - not too humid in summer and not too cold in winter.
Ive been looking into Port Macquarie, but know absolutely nothing about the area. Iโ€™m open to suggestions of a nice community, on the East Coast, not too far inland or too far from a major(ish) airport as OH works in Townsville.
looking forward to hearing your suggestions ๐Ÿ˜Š

Old Oct 15th 2019, 12:54 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dreading summer ๐Ÿ˜“

Originally Posted by Sarahnal
Hey Everyone, Iโ€™ve lived on the Sunshine Coast for 16yrs now and at this time every year I seem to dread summer a little bit more than the year before. I just donโ€™t get on with the humidity, Iโ€™m not sure if itโ€™s getting worse, or Iโ€™m getting more intolerant of it as I get old(er).
So, Iโ€™m thinking of moving somewhere a little kinder - not too humid in summer and not too cold in winter.
Ive been looking into Port Macquarie, but know absolutely nothing about the area. Iโ€™m open to suggestions of a nice community, on the East Coast, not too far inland or too far from a major(ish) airport as OH works in Townsville.

Hi Sarah, welcome to BE

Can't help with your questions as I live in WA, just wanted to offer some sympathy re your discomfort with summer. I'm Aussie born and bred and still dread the dry heat of Perth summers - I'd be the same if they were humid though. Our winters can get very cold, and I love it
Old Oct 15th 2019, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. We look like possibly being back in Australia for Christmas and the thought fills me with horror. - I've so enjoyed the British weather for the past 8 years!!!
Old Oct 15th 2019, 10:57 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Aw mate !

I feel the same about the NZ summer here. Burn time of seconds and just so blustery these years. It just isn't a comfortable season at all.

Yup. I think as we get a little bit older , our thermostats get a bit clunky and don't work so well.

Good luck with wherever you end up moving to.
Old Oct 15th 2019, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

Sarahnal has a reputation beyond reputeSarahnal has a reputation beyond reputeSarahnal has a reputation beyond reputeSarahnal has a reputation beyond reputeSarahnal has a reputation beyond reputeSarahnal has a reputation beyond reputeSarahnal has a reputation beyond reputeSarahnal has a reputation beyond reputeSarahnal has a reputation beyond reputeSarahnal has a reputation beyond reputeSarahnal has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, spouse of scouse, thanks for your reply and for welcoming ๐Ÿ˜Š
I used to be a member many moons ago, I discovered this site AFTER we emigrated - it wouldโ€™ve been so much easier if Iโ€™d found it before!
I havenโ€™t been to Perth, but Iโ€™ve been in Victoria (Ovens Valley!!) over summer before which was really hot, but a dry heat. Itโ€™s the humidity here that kills me here, its only 9am and the beginning of spring and Iโ€™m already shut inside with the aircon on dry mode after nearly expiring walking the dog this morning!
Iโ€™d just like a reprieve from the heat during the day for a bit longer than a few weeks in the depths of winter.
Queensland is beautiful, I love it here, but itโ€™s gonna kill me soon ๐Ÿ˜‚

Last edited by Sarahnal; Oct 15th 2019 at 11:16 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2019, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by quoll
I agree. We look like possibly being back in Australia for Christmas and the thought fills me with horror. - I've so enjoyed the British weather for the past 8 years!!!
I feel your pain!
I wish I was one of those weird people that look forward to summer here, but my blood is obviously British through and through!
Which part of the furnace will you be in over Christmas?
Old Oct 15th 2019, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
Aw mate !

I feel the same about the NZ summer here. Burn time of seconds and just so blustery there years. It just isn't a comfortable season at all.

Yup. I think as we get a little bit older , our thermostats get a bit clunky and don't work so well.

Good luck with wherever you end up moving to.
Thank you ๐Ÿ˜Š
I know what you mean about the burn time in NZ - by the time you think, I should probably put more sun screen on, itโ€™s too late - youโ€™re burnt to a crisp ๐Ÿฅต
Damn those CFCโ€™s for destroying the ozone layer!

My thermostat definitely needs replacing, itโ€™s been going wrong for years, but isnโ€™t functioning at all now!

Old Oct 16th 2019, 2:39 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ql

Hi, spouse of scouse, thanks for your reply and for welcoming ๐Ÿ˜Š
I used to be a member many moons ago, I discovered this site AFTER we emigrated - it wouldโ€™ve been so much easier if Iโ€™d found it before!
I havenโ€™t been to Perth, but Iโ€™ve been in Victoria (Ovens Valley!!) over summer before which was really hot, but a dry heat. Itโ€™s the humidity here that kills me here, its only 9am and the beginning of spring and Iโ€™m already shut inside with the aircon on dry mode after nearly expiring walking the dog this morning!
Iโ€™d just like a reprieve from the heat during the day for a bit longer than a few weeks in the depths of winter.
Queensland is beautiful, I love it here, but itโ€™s gonna kill me soon ๐Ÿ˜‚
When you can't do something like walking the mutley without feeling like you're going to cark it then you are indeed suffering, you poor love.

I've visited Qld a few times, stayed in a little place called Ayr. It's about 90kms south of Townsville and I remember that as very hot and humid. Not to mention the cane toads , which are to be expected since it's in the middle of sugar cane country. I hope you find somewhere a bit less humid to live, we don't want you to be killed!
Old Oct 16th 2019, 4:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I feel your pain!
I wish I was one of those weird people that look forward to summer here, but my blood is obviously British through and through!
Which part of the furnace will you be in over Christmas?
Canberra! At least we don't get your humidity but you crisp up more effectively in the dry heat!
Old Oct 16th 2019, 8:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by quoll
Canberra! At least we don't get your humidity but you crisp up more effectively in the dry heat!
Fried crisp and dry ๐Ÿฅ“
Old Oct 16th 2019, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Ql

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
When you can't do something like walking the mutley without feeling like you're going to cark it then you are indeed suffering, you poor love.

I've visited Qld a few times, stayed in a little place called Ayr. It's about 90kms south of Townsville and I remember that as very hot and humid. Not to mention the cane toads , which are to be expected since it's in the middle of sugar cane country. I hope you find somewhere a bit less humid to live, we don't want you to be killed!
๐Ÿ‘ป
Old Oct 16th 2019, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Sydney with only ceiling fans in the house. Aircon would be ok on the odd day but very low priority.
Old Oct 16th 2019, 10:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Can't wait for summer!

One of the reasons we choose to live in this great country
Old Oct 16th 2019, 10:27 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Can't wait for summer!

One of the reasons we choose to live in this great country
Two of my sisters love summer here too, they wait for it like a kid waits for Christmas. Like most things it just comes down to personal preference (and some of us have dicky thermostats, like me)

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Oct 16th 2019 at 10:30 am.
Old Oct 16th 2019, 10:30 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Beoz
I live in Sydney with only ceiling fans in the house. Aircon would be ok on the odd day but very low priority.
We got zoned reverse cycle in the house we bought when we moved back to Oz. Scouse doesn't really like air con except on the hottest of days, I like it when it turns 28 degrees. With zoned we can both have what we want. We installed solar panels too, has made a huge difference to the electricity bill. Last one, covering two months, was only $33! Averages $80 in the hottest months, $40 a month.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.