British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Domestic goddesses (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/domestic-goddesses-835677/)

Kelli28 Jun 5th 2014 9:00 am

Domestic goddesses

Hope there's some domestic goddesses that can offer me some advice I've recently upgraded to a king bed so I bought a new doona just a target everyday one and some beautiful and expensive covers from Hardly normals.

However I'm having a very serious issue with the doona forming a ball shape though the night inside the cover! I've never had this problem before what causes it, and how can I stop it?

scottishcelts Jun 5th 2014 9:08 am

Re: Domestic goddesses

Originally Posted by Kelli28 (Post 11288965)
Hope there's some domestic goddesses that can offer me some advice I've recently upgraded to a king bed so I bought a new doona just a target everyday one and some beautiful and expensive covers from Hardly normals.

However I'm having a very serious issue with the doona forming a ball shape though the night inside the cover! I've never had this problem before what causes it, and how can I stop it?

Is the doona polyester?

Kelli28 Jun 5th 2014 9:18 am

Originally Posted by scottishcelts (Post 11288975)
Is the doona polyester?

The tag says Cotton cover with a polyester fill

scottishcelts Jun 5th 2014 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Kelli28 (Post 11288986)
The tag says Cotton cover with a polyester fill

Voila. Polyester is the devil.

Kelli28 Jun 5th 2014 9:42 am

Originally Posted by scottishcelts (Post 11288987)

So buy a new doona? Thing is though I've never had fancy feather or wool doonas before and this is the first time that I've had this happen! It's very odd!:unsure:

moneypenny20 Jun 5th 2014 10:06 am

Originally Posted by scottishcelts (Post 11288987)

:confused: Daughter has a polyester one, never had any problems.

Sew plastic poppers on the corners of the duvet and the other bit of the popper on the inside of the cover, pop them together and Bob's your auntie.

carolinephillips Jun 5th 2014 12:14 pm

My duvet does the same since I bought a new King sized one. I sometimes find it is because I have put it in the wrong way- it is nearly but not quite square and it is important to get the corners right into the cover's corners. It is worse with the thicker covers than the cheap thin cover I got for $30 from K-mart!!

Kelli28 Jun 5th 2014 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by carolinephillips (Post 11289176)
My duvet does the same since I bought a new King sized one. I sometimes find it is because I have put it in the wrong way- it is nearly but not quite square and it is important to get the corners right into the cover's corners. It is worse with the thicker covers than the cheap thin cover I got for $30 from K-mart!!

You might be on to something there with the thicker covers! The new cover is very thick and heavy and the doona is quite thin.

Umm decisions decisions do I risk buying a heavier doona and hope that fixes it or will I be faced with wrestling with an even heavier lump on the bed each morning or put the gorgeous expensive cover in the cupboard and buy a cheapie cover :unsure:

Molly Coddle Jun 5th 2014 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Kelli28 (Post 11289541)
You might be on to something there with the thicker covers! The new cover is very thick and heavy and the doona is quite thin.

Umm decisions decisions do I risk buying a heavier doona and hope that fixes it or will I be faced with wrestling with an even heavier lump on the bed each morning or put the gorgeous expensive cover in the cupboard and buy a cheapie cover :unsure:

If you really love your new cover then go for the heavier doona Kelli. :thumbup:

SillyOldBag Jun 5th 2014 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Kelli28 (Post 11289541)

I think moneypenny's suggestion is pure genius! That's what I would do - if I ever got round to doing things that I should do that are a good idea..... but I don't, I just continue to bitch and whine and mutter darkly to myself and continue to think "I really should do that..... " :rofl:

cresta57 Jun 5th 2014 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Kelli28 (Post 11288965)

We've had a strange ball shape under the doona for the last few nights. Turns out the dog thinks he's a small boy & curls up under the doona by Deb's feet. I thought she just needed to shave her legs at first:eek:

Kelli28 Jun 6th 2014 2:00 am

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag (Post 11290007)
I think moneypenny's suggestion is pure genius! That's what I would do - if I ever got round to doing things that I should do that are a good idea..... but I don't, I just continue to bitch and whine and mutter darkly to myself and continue to think "I really should do that..... " :rofl:

Yeah I'm not great with sewing I'm a bit lazy with stuff like that last time I stitched something was Cub Scout badges and that was a disaster! Looks like it might be an option to try though, wonder if there's someone that would do it for me for a few $s

Originally Posted by cresta57 (Post 11290009)
We've had a strange ball shape under the doona for the last few nights. Turns out the dog thinks he's a small boy & curls up under the doona by Deb's feet. I thought she just needed to shave her legs at first:eek:

:rofl: that's what's great about winter the hairy legs can be hidden under tights and long trousers :lol:

BadgeIsBack Jun 6th 2014 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Kelli28 (Post 11290317)
Yeah I'm not great with sewing I'm a bit lazy with stuff like that last time I stitched something was Cub Scout badges and that was a disaster! Looks like it might be an option to try though, wonder if there's someone that would do it for me for a few $s

:rofl: that's what's great about winter the hairy legs can be hidden under tights and long trousers :lol:

There is nothing I like better, apart from supermarkets, than a good domestic subject.

My wife coopts me once every few days to have a bit of a jiggle in the bedroom and we end up, working as a team, getting edges in corners and sides where they should be, aligning this and folding that. She even knots quilts together in winter to double their thickness. ..

She's good like that.

lesleys Jun 6th 2014 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Kelli28 (Post 11290317)

Test if it will work - use large safety pins that you can't accidentally pull open. Not very elegant :p I have a feeling poppers might not be strong enough.

Kelli28 Jun 7th 2014 5:50 am

Originally Posted by lesleys (Post 11290637)
Test if it will work - use large safety pins that you can't accidentally pull open. Not very elegant :p I have a feeling poppers might not be strong enough.

I'm off shopping this afternoon will have a look at my options, I'm thinking a new doona might just be the easiest option or I googled and found some clip like things on amazon that are made for this very purpose but not sure if I want giant bag clips.
I think the popper option is good I'd need to sew quite a few of them on though and it'd be fiddly making sure they all line up... Just wondering if Velcro would be strong enough? I may have just answered my own question :lol: