Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Dogs and landlords ...

Wikiposts

Dogs and landlords ...

Old Jun 14th 2006, 9:56 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future
Default Re: Dogs and landlords ...

Originally Posted by iPom
My landlord says I can have 'an outdoor dog only' .... How on earth do you do that when it's a puppy? Wouldn't it freeze out here overnight on it's own?
As others have said most dogs out here are 'outdoor' dogs. We go for a walk with ours about 10pm and as we pass the end fences of a line of houses they all go nuts ...lol. There must be a dog in every other house in this stretch!

Ours is sposed to be outdoors, but he's a bit of both. Problem we have is Cane toads as in the UK my dog would play with frogs, but obv Cane toads are a danger so we aint taking the chance!

We have a yapper next door too so are considering moving and a house we've looked at is ok with dogs indoors so they are out there! ...
Old Jun 14th 2006, 10:07 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
As others have said most dogs out here are 'outdoor' dogs. We go for a walk with ours about 10pm and as we pass the end fences of a line of houses they all go nuts ...lol. There must be a dog in every other house in this stretch!

Ours is sposed to be outdoors, but he's a bit of both. Problem we have is Cane toads as in the UK my dog would play with frogs, but obv Cane toads are a danger so we aint taking the chance!

We have a yapper next door too so are considering moving and a house we've looked at is ok with dogs indoors so they are out there! ...

Whatever dog I get, it has to be a bit of both I think. I want one who will be happy outside for most of the time and that way, we keep sweet with the landlord. I also just want a dog I can walk for miles with ... The shelters up here are full of tiny little dogs and they just don't feel right to me. I need a hunka chunka sort of guy.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 10:18 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Whatever dog I get, it has to be a bit of both I think. I want one who will be happy outside for most of the time and that way, we keep sweet with the landlord. I also just want a dog I can walk for miles with ... The shelters up here are full of tiny little dogs and they just don't feel right to me. I need a hunka chunka sort of guy.
I'm biased but think Staffies are the best breed you can get. Totally loyal, reliable, Intelligent, friendly (with people), and mine is excellent around the home. He gets left for 6 - 8 hours sometimes and has NEVER once damaged a single thing or fouled indoors once!

Wouldn't be without him! ...
Old Jun 14th 2006, 10:21 pm
Account Closed

I'm biased but think Staffies are the best breed you can get. Totally loyal, reliable, Intelligent, friendly (with people), and mine is excellent around the home. He gets left for 6 - 8 hours sometimes and has NEVER once damaged a single thing or fouled indoors once!

Wouldn't be without him! ...
I like the Staffies - there are hundreds of them around in rescue, poor things. My hub won't have one as he's concerned about the kids being attacked. I can understand that as they do look like a fairly serious pup. I can't persuade him of their sweet natures though ...

He's still not really agreed to a dog properly, but he'll be the owner of one tomorrow. He's not a doggy person... he doesn't know ... yet!
Old Jun 14th 2006, 10:27 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

My landlord says I can have 'an outdoor dog only' .... How on earth do you do that when it's a puppy? Wouldn't it freeze out here overnight on it's own?
Bit concerned about this....our Milly is an 'indoor' dog..are we going to have trouble finding a rental that will allow a dog inside for most of the time? (as if I haven't got enough to worry about... )

D D
Old Jun 14th 2006, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
Bit concerned about this....our Milly is an 'indoor' dog..are we going to have trouble finding a rental that will allow a dog inside for most of the time? (as if I haven't got enough to worry about... )

D D

I think the trick is to get your house with the 'outdoor dog permission' and then it 'may' just come inside ... ooh, every so often.... like, every day!

I'm sure you'll be fine... pet dogs are so common here now - they didn't use to be but things are changing.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 10:31 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

I think the trick is to get your house with the 'outdoor dog permission' and then it 'may' just come inside ... ooh, every so often.... like, every day!

I'm sure you'll be fine... pet dogs are so common here now - they didn't use to be but things are changing.
Thanks for the reassurance sweetie,

D D
Old Jun 14th 2006, 10:32 pm
Account Closed

Thanks for the reassurance sweetie,

D D

We had no probs getting permission for the cat and there are others here who have dogs and are renting.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 10:41 pm
Account Closed

My hub won't have one as he's concerned about the kids being attacked. I can understand that as they do look like a fairly serious pup.
They get a bad name in the UK, not sure about out here, but they can be aggressive to another dog without doubt, mine can be, but they just love humans to death.

The Kennel Club of GB will recommend 2 breeds as 'good with children' and the Staffy is one of them!

My other half wasn't a lover of dogs and it took me about 15 years to get her to finally give in and let us get a dog. Now she too wouldn't be without him! The funny thing is sometimes when out with him a big dog will come over and she'll hold onto my arm as she's still frightened of big dogs. The owners are always confused as we have a Staffy, how can she be scared of dogs? ... ... but she's just got used to him and we've had him from 8 weeks!
Old Jun 14th 2006, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

They get a bad name in the UK, not sure about out here, but they can be aggressive to another dog without doubt, mine can be, but they just love humans to death.

The Kennel Club of GB will recommend 2 breeds as 'good with children' and the Staffy is one of them!

My other half wasn't a lover of dogs and it took me about 15 years to get her to finally give in and let us get a dog. Now she too wouldn't be without him! The funny thing is sometimes when out with him a big dog will come over and she'll hold onto my arm as she's still frightened of big dogs. The owners are always confused as we have a Staffy, how can she be scared of dogs? ... ... but she's just got used to him and we've had him from 8 weeks!
Oh and to quote:

Characteristics

Traditionally of indomitable courage and tenacity. Highly intelligent and affectionate especially with children.

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/

Not that I don't know it anyway ...
Old Jun 14th 2006, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

He sounds such a sweet boy. There was a honey coloured staffy cross today in the pound and she was so lovely. Maybe when hub is used to having a dog and I can break him in gently with it. I grew up riding on a bull mastiff's back ... they have a bad name too, but are so good with children. I am personally more keen on large breeds but for my hub to find one acceptable, we're going for a medium size dog. I am so excited....
Old Jun 14th 2006, 11:06 pm
Account Closed

This was him the day before we picked him up, aged about 8 weeks:

And this was a couple of years ago, aged about 3:

We had murders with jabs and the vet literally weeks before we came here and I was willing to stay behind with him for up to 6 months till he was ready to go! ... I think many on here thought we was crazy, but he's our baby and we couldn't go without him.

All turned out in the end tho! ...
Old Jun 14th 2006, 11:06 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

I am going here http://www.renbury.com.au/ tomorrow and I'm not coming home without a doggy! There is a beagle there. Also a thorough bred german short haired pointer....
Good luck for tomorrow, post a pic when you can.

I've just looked at the website and it's broken my heart seeing all those dogs needing homes...

D D
Old Jun 14th 2006, 11:09 pm
Account Closed

This was him the day before we picked him up, aged about 8 weeks:

And this was a couple of years ago, aged about 3:

Ohhhh, so gorgeous! What a beautiful dog! I will take lots of pics of whoever I get and let you know ...
Old Jun 14th 2006, 11:10 pm
Account Closed

Good luck for tomorrow, post a pic when you can.

I've just looked at the website and it's broken my heart seeing all those dogs needing homes...

D D

Plenty to keep you busy when you're settled Dolly!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.