British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   dog/scruffy teddy story (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/dog-scruffy-teddy-story-683182/)

Drell Aug 29th 2010 9:48 am

dog/scruffy teddy story

Hi,

We have a rescue dog who has had a teddybear we gave him since we got him. As he was taken from him mum before he was old enough to be weaned this teddy is a comfot to him- but he doesn't chew it or play with it, he just sucks it. He's a very special dog.

I wondered if there was any way we would be able to bring this scruffy teddy with us when we bring the dogs over? I would imagine we probably wouldn't but I wondered if anyone had any similar experiences when shipping their hounds.

Thanks

Drellie

Pollyana Aug 29th 2010 10:02 am

Re: dog/scruffy teddy story

Originally Posted by Drell (Post 8810668)
Hi,

We have a rescue dog who has had a teddybear we gave him since we got him. As he was taken from him mum before he was old enough to be weaned this teddy is a comfot to him- but he doesn't chew it or play with it, he just sucks it. He's a very special dog.

I wondered if there was any way we would be able to bring this scruffy teddy with us when we bring the dogs over? I would imagine we probably wouldn't but I wondered if anyone had any similar experiences when shipping their hounds.

Thanks

Drellie

What's it stuffed with? The only teddies that have problems AQIS-wise are the very old ones filled with straw. If its just got the normal modern stuffing it'll be fine :)

Drell Aug 29th 2010 10:10 am

Hi,

It's just stuffed with regular stuffing. Thanks for this- looks like Elvis wont be parted from his comforter anytime soon.

Pollyana Aug 29th 2010 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Drell (Post 8810701)
Hi,

It's just stuffed with regular stuffing. Thanks for this- looks like Elvis wont be parted from his comforter anytime soon.

Should be absolutely fine then, no different from kids brining in teddies :)

pumpkin blossom Aug 29th 2010 1:39 pm

Yes, we had a simular thing. Manky dog. In the end we decided to chuck it and find a replacement as manky dog was old, and well, manky lol. It had been re stuffed many times and we didn't want them thinking we had stuffed it with drugs.
The company we used to send the dog over said no to toys in the crate, so it would have to be taken and dropped off, or posted.

Drell Aug 29th 2010 5:39 pm

We've tried replacing it but he wont touch any replacements. Teddy has holes but hasn't been restuffed so maybe that would be ok.

Whilst we're at it, could anyone tell me how their dogs faired with being shipped and processed? Do they let you walk the dogs and pet them when u visit?

Drell Aug 29th 2010 5:55 pm

when you visit them in quarantine i mean :)

breezeboylan Aug 30th 2010 3:40 am

Originally Posted by Drell (Post 8811417)
We've tried replacing it but he wont touch any replacements. Teddy has holes but hasn't been restuffed so maybe that would be ok.

Whilst we're at it, could anyone tell me how their dogs faired with being shipped and processed? Do they let you walk the dogs and pet them when u visit?

Ours was in quarantine in Perth and we visited every day. They have quite a few exercise areas where you can take your dog to play. Felt guilty as hell though when we had to put her back in her pen!

Drell Aug 30th 2010 9:31 am

When you leave them are they in the pen the whole time?

We have one dog that should be fine- though he's the rescue dog he's very resilient. Our other dog is very nervous and the's the one we're more worried about.

They're Yorkshire Terriers and we're going to Melbourne.

chris1386 Sep 1st 2010 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8810706)
Should be absolutely fine then, no different from kids brining in teddies :)

SO pleased to hear this, my springer is really pathetically soft and spends her life with her 'chrismoose' teddy in her mouth, takes it everywhere, she's on her 4th one now, averaging 2 years each, and we have a few new ones in the loft as spares to hopefully last her , so this is great news as she is a bit frantic without it and i know she'd settle ok in kennels with her trusty moose by her side.As I type this she's fast asleep with its neck in her chops!

Best of luck Drell!:thumbsup:

Kayelem Sep 1st 2010 1:19 pm

ahhh he sounds like a lovely dog. We bought a stuffed toy to quarantine for our dog but it got lost in the bedding when it was washed so it might be a good idea to get him a few spares and get him used to them now. Take his teddy in your suitcase so you can take it when you visit him. Our dog was in quarantine in Byford, WA and I wasn't impresed but we weren't able to visit everyday and she stank of urine wen we collected her. The exercise areas are really nice though. She is absoutely fine now back to her usual self. It isn't easy and it broke my heart to leave her at Heathrow but it will be a little easier for you as your dogs will be together and not alone like mine was. Its cruel but I kinda tried to forget about her to stop myself getting upset and the day you pick em up is a fantastic feeling. Good Luck on your journey.

Drell Sep 14th 2010 5:49 pm

Thank you for your replies- sorry about the delay.

I think I'm going to try and re-introduce the other teddies as replacements- problem is, he removes the eyes then just leaves them alone. He likes them blind and then nowhere near him.

Like I said earlier- he's rather special :rolleyes: