Wikiposts

Dog ownership

Old Jun 15th 2006, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

miss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant future
Default Re: Dog ownership

She'll come round to the cat very quickly once she realises that your the boss, then the cat & that she's bottom of the pile ! I used to breed ducks in the UK & my pointers were fine with them - even the one we rescued as a 3 year old who had been a working dog before. They were very circumspect around the birds & no problem at all with the cats.
They're really easy dogs to train as they do want to please SO much. Crate training is FANTASTIC - I wish more people did it.GSP's also tend to be food & toy obsessed which makes training easier still (though they can be thieves - I lost an entire dinner party down one of mine - that athleticism means table surfing is all too easy!).
Once you've covered the basics if you can find an agility club near you give it a whirl - gives them something to focus on , they really enjoy it & it's a great way for you to meet people socially.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 10:04 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

At the mo, I've put the cat in the office with hub so dog can get used to the house. Later on, I'll put the pup back in our room whilst the cat gets the run of the house. After I've taught Emma to sit properly, I'll introduce them by crating Emma and letting the cat roam without paying to much attention to the cat ... Then I can let them meet.. with E on a lead.
It's a gradual process I've read although never had to do it, but recall parents doing it. The cat's been on his own for all his life, so he's not going to be too happy about it, but he's just come half way around the world and settled in. Meeting a dog shouldn't be too much of a problem.

My spaniel was an expert in unwrapping easter eggs and leaving the wrapper complete!

Emma seems to be very good at bringing a ball back and letting it go in my hand. Whoever had her before obviously took care of her.

Yes, I'll get her into agility - she's a bright pup that's for sure.

She does seem to be afraid of the dark/going outside at night though.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 11:06 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding insurance - over here we used PetPlan - the difference with them is that if your pet's ill, they carry on paying for any medication or whatever associated with an illness for the pet's life - rather than for just a year which all the other policies do. They also operate in Australia - http://www.petplan.com.au/ - it's who we're going with.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

oh my gosh!!!!!!!

i totally looked at her pic from the first post you made about the pound place and thought she was a real beaut!

am so called she's got a great home!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 16th 2006, 1:07 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by YoSemite
oh my gosh!!!!!!!

i .......thought she was a real beaut!

She is that, Yo. Gorgeous pup.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

sapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the rough

Congratulations, Emma is gorgeous. I hope you have a very happy life together - there is nothing like the love of a rescued dog.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

She's absolutely gorgeous. Hope you get as much joy from her as I do from my girl. By the way we have a dog trainer coming next week to help us with the Harriet Houdini act!! He reckons he will sort her no problem, my moneys on Skye!!
Tracie
Old Jun 16th 2006, 11:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
She's absolutely gorgeous. Hope you get as much joy from her as I do from my girl. By the way we have a dog trainer coming next week to help us with the Harriet Houdini act!! He reckons he will sort her no problem, my moneys on Skye!!
Tracie

LOL - Mine's on the trainer. Let us know how you get on eh?