Wikiposts

Dog ownership

Old Jun 2nd 2006, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog ownership

here's my two... Bailey and Brogan

have not got a clue how much the cost me... wouldn't care really. they're just soooo funny I'd pay a million bucks for them every day if i had to! It's cheaper to keep them here compared the UK though. We had to have an emergency trip to the vets for the one on the right as she cut her leg - cost about a 1/4 of the price it would have going to the same size (and quality) of pratice in UK.
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 2:12 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I know We originally went there to get a staffie, and it tore my heart out looking at all those other poor dogs... and then the wifey called me over to see this arrogrant springer spaniel, who just ignored every other dog, even though they were nipping him and biting him and barking in his face. He just stood proud and ignored it all.

And for some reason we took him Best choice we ever made.

But visiting these places is tough, because you do want to take them all, but, I feel just by taking one, you are reducing the problem by 2. Whereas, people buying pure bred dogs are increasing the problem.
No, people buying puppies from petshops & people breeding designer dog crap like labradoodles & any other "oodles" you can think of - often at wildly inflated prices many times more than a registered purebred puppy from a good breeder I might add - are the ones increasing the problem. Reputable breeders of purerbred registered puppies add very little to the stray dog population problem as the numbers of puppies that come out of registered breeders is tiny compared to backyard breeders & puppymills. Add to that all the other advantages of buying a registered puppy ie parents being health checked for genetic diseases, temperament more predictable, being able to confidently predict exactly what the puppy will look like, how big it will grow etc as well as the fact that many many breeders will take a dog back if, at any time in the future there becomes a problem or you have to rehome it, & you can see why buying a registered purebred puppy is a much better choice. Just have a look at how many pure bred dogs of any breed end up in the pound etc, compared to cross breds & you can quickly see where the problem lies.

Personally I'd like to see every petshop in Australia banned from selling kittens & puppies - if we could get rid of the puppy farms that supply petshops & the like & the stupid designer dog phase (& anyone that would like to deny there is a problem need only look in the dogs for sale section of any newspaper to get an idea of how big it's becoming) our dumped dog numbers would diminish considerably.

If you are happy with an older dog, definitely go to the RSPCA or such & rescue one, otherwise ONLY buy from a registered ethical breeder.

This is my newest addition - got him yesterday .
Attached Thumbnails Dog ownership-jonty.jpg   Dog ownership-m-jonty.jpg  
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 2:31 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, if anyone is considering rescuing a dog, there are many rescue clubs & foster carers that save dogs from the pound as well as the usual suspects like AWL & RSPCA that JTL mentioned earlier.

If anyone needs contact details to find a rescue dog (both purebred & crossbreds) just about anywhere in Australia please let me know & I can put you in touch with someone .
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
No, people buying puppies from petshops & people breeding designer dog crap like labradoodles & any other "oodles" you can think of - often at wildly inflated prices many times more than a registered purebred puppy from a good breeder I might add - are the ones increasing the problem. Reputable breeders of purerbred registered puppies add very little to the stray dog population problem as the numbers of puppies that come out of registered breeders is tiny compared to backyard breeders & puppymills. Add to that all the other advantages of buying a registered puppy ie parents being health checked for genetic diseases, temperament more predictable, being able to confidently predict exactly what the puppy will look like, how big it will grow etc as well as the fact that many many breeders will take a dog back if, at any time in the future there becomes a problem or you have to rehome it, & you can see why buying a registered purebred puppy is a much better choice. Just have a look at how many pure bred dogs of any breed end up in the pound etc, compared to cross breds & you can quickly see where the problem lies.

Personally I'd like to see every petshop in Australia banned from selling kittens & puppies - if we could get rid of the puppy farms that supply petshops & the like & the stupid designer dog phase (& anyone that would like to deny there is a problem need only look in the dogs for sale section of any newspaper to get an idea of how big it's becoming) our dumped dog numbers would diminish considerably.

If you are happy with an older dog, definitely go to the RSPCA or such & rescue one, otherwise ONLY buy from a registered ethical breeder.

This is my newest addition - got him yesterday .

Hey Mrs D, he a real cutie. Our daughters want a dog when we get to Oz, but I just don't know. Maybe I should start another poll on what I should do!
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 12:17 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
If you go to one of the dog pounds... AWL or RSPCA they can give you a good dog for $135 provided you can give it a good home.

I know I keep banging on about this but its because its true. We got our springer spaniel from there, and out of everything we have bought since we arrived, he has been the best buy. Why encourage new dogs when there are so many abandoned and homeless dogs already.

Here, look at these boys & girls:

http://www.awlqld.com.au/dogsmedium.htm

GO ON!! You'll feel better for it too
I'm looking at all our local shelters right up to Sydney for the right dog... It's Mr iPom who's stuck on the beagle because he had one when he was growing up which then got stolen and I really think he pines after this sort of dog.
I need to get a puppy I think because I can't risk there being any problems with unexpected biting or any other psychotic behaviour. (My friend's have a rescue dog which is lovely in the house but outside on the lead turns into a monster of a dog which then goes hysterical and bites as I found out to my cost)
The risk with an adult could be quite high as you never really know what their past traumas have been.

But I am looking,,, and will let you know what I find.
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 12:46 pm
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Hey Mrs D, he a real cutie. Our daughters want a dog when we get to Oz, but I just don't know. Maybe I should start another poll on what I should do!
Hey ManxF, I'll bring him to meet you when you get here, then you wont be able to resist - either that or your kids will drive you mad until you give in :scared: .

IPom, if you get one thats been in foster care the foster carer can usually tell you a great deal about the dogs temperament & behaviour - probably a better bet than just a straight pound or RSPCA rescue. They often do have puppies & young dogs as well.

These are the sorts of dogs you can get from foster carers http://www.fosterdogs.org/ - have a look at the extensive information about each dog, thats because they have lived in the foster carers home, rather than just being seen at the shelter in a pen. If you are interested in any of these guys Im sure ARF will organise transport to Sydney or there are other organisations in Sydney that do the same thing.

Your friends dog simply sounds like it needs some obedience training - dogs don't become good citizens just by being left in the backyard .
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Irish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Thanks for that. I'm looking at getting a beagle.

I'm trying to keep my common sense in the face of it's utter cuteness factor.
OMG thats adorable! like butter wouldnt melt!!! awww!
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

Your friends dog simply sounds like it needs some obedience training - dogs don't become good citizens just by being left in the backyard .
It's currently having therapy for it's hatred of cars.
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 1:12 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's just a pic I found on the internet.

Here's the dog I reallly want... I'm working on my husband as we speak.

Oh how cute. How could your husband resist????

Last edited by Pollyana; Jun 13th 2006 at 10:24 pm. Reason: link removed from quote
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by tygwyn
Oh how cute. How could your husband resist????

HE can't. He's ringing the rental agent to get permission.

I've had a deaf dog before and you just have to work harder to train them. We're both at home all day and we live in a fab place so hopefully she'll be ours in a couple of weeks.
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 1:52 pm
Rocket Scientist

It's currently having therapy for it's hatred of cars.
LOL oh dear, where did they get it from? shouldnt laugh I guess but the therapy thing is funny

See thats the beauty of getting one thats been living with someone - those sorts of issues would have been spotted .

XXX looks lovely - just be aware that being deaf puts her at much greater risk of injury eg cant hear you call her back from a dangerous situation, cant hear a car coming, cant hear you walking up behind her & may get a fright etc. Training a dog to respond to hand signals only (rather than voice or both) is a bit more difficult than training to respond to voice but not insurmountable, the hardest thing is getting her to see the signal ie you cant call her name to attract her attention. But it certainly can be done without major trouble, especially if you have any previous experience with training dogs, you just have to remember you have to be her *ears* for her .

Last edited by Pollyana; Jun 13th 2006 at 10:25 pm. Reason: Edited to remove name
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 1:53 pm
Rocket Scientist

HE can't. He's ringing the rental agent to get permission.

I've had a deaf dog before and you just have to work harder to train them. We're both at home all day and we live in a fab place so hopefully she'll be ours in a couple of weeks.
Great news, hope it works out & you're allowed to get her .
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 4:29 pm
Account Closed

LOL oh dear, where did they get it from? shouldnt laugh I guess but the therapy thing is funny

They got her from a woman who got her from a rescue place. The dog kept attacking her dog (big warning signal if you ask me) so she gave her to my friend... who has two children. It was a pit bull cross ... one black eye, floppy ears, bloody powerful shoulders, named rather cutely as 'Molly'. When confronted with a car coming towards her, she'd go hysterical and completely lose it (maybe she'd been knocked by one in her past but who knew?) and start lunging into the road.

The one and only day I took it for a walk up to school to pick up the children, it lunged, bit my leg and knee, ripped my trousers and went wild at other people's dogs. It went for legs of the kids too. I tied it to a railing and called my friend ... who bought me a new pair of trousers. In the house, the dog was fine. On the streets, a complete accident waiting to happen. Very very bad, esp with two children in the house. I think she's crazy, but hey ....
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 9:04 pm
lisa

lisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nice

They got her from a woman who got her from a rescue place. The dog kept attacking her dog (big warning signal if you ask me) so she gave her to my friend... who has two children. It was a pit bull cross ... one black eye, floppy ears, bloody powerful shoulders, named rather cutely as 'Molly'. When confronted with a car coming towards her, she'd go hysterical and completely lose it (maybe she'd been knocked by one in her past but who knew?) and start lunging into the road.

The one and only day I took it for a walk up to school to pick up the children, it lunged, bit my leg and knee, ripped my trousers and went wild at other people's dogs. It went for legs of the kids too. I tied it to a railing and called my friend ... who bought me a new pair of trousers. In the house, the dog was fine. On the streets, a complete accident waiting to happen. Very very bad, esp with two children in the house. I think she's crazy, but hey ....
we lost our cairn terrier zoe on monday, she was 9 and black like toto off wizard of oz, gorgeous friendly, placid loved kids did as she was told and im devastated, had to be put to sleep. im a fan of them, and the kids keep pining for another, but there are plenty of rescue dogs that, if you set your mind to it and put some effort into looking after them , they can be just as good as my zoe. go for it, husband said can have another, may go to the rspca , see how i feel.
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 9:11 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

This is our Babe now 6mths.
(not from rspca but from a reputable breeder)
Attached Thumbnails Dog ownership-pic_0001.jpg  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.