Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Dog nipping - Does it ever stop......

Dog nipping - Does it ever stop......

Old Jun 2nd 2010, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Dog nipping - Does it ever stop......

Hello,

We have a puppy aged 8 months and he is still nipping, we have completed puppy school and now attend dog obedience but this constant nipping is driving us mad, we can't even stroke him without him turning around to give us a nip. The dog obedience class doesn't give us much help regarding the problem so I was wondering if anyone can anyone give me any advice on how to stop it or when it does stop ?

He has lots of toys to bite, he picks on nobody in particular he just likes to give us all a nip which is starting to really drive me mad...... and could be more serious problem the older he gets....
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 2:57 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog nipping - Does it ever stop......

Originally Posted by macy
Hello,

We have a puppy aged 8 months and he is still nipping, we have completed puppy school and now attend dog obedience but this constant nipping is driving us mad, we can't even stroke him without him turning around to give us a nip. The dog obedience class doesn't give us much help regarding the problem so I was wondering if anyone can anyone give me any advice on how to stop it or when it does stop ?

He has lots of toys to bite, he picks on nobody in particular he just likes to give us all a nip which is starting to really drive me mad...... and could be more serious problem the older he gets....
Remove his teeth
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Remove his teeth
What type of dog is it? Some breeds are more nippy than others. I know this sounds a bit old school and I might get hanged for saying it, but a slap each time would probably do the trick.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 3:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

We had a problem with our dog, who came to us as an old boy, thoroughly spoilt & naughty as.
When he snaps, we tell him no & gently tap his nose. It is not meant to hurt, just be unpleasant. You have to be consistent though & do it every time.
There are plenty of websites that offer good advice too, just google dog behaviour & you should get plenty.
http://www.ozdoggy.com.au/dog_behaviour_advice.html

Good luck!
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 3:05 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RenShen
What type of dog is it? Some breeds are more nippy than others. I know this sounds a bit old school and I might get hanged for saying it, but a slap each time would probably do the trick.
I had a greyhound when i was a kid,man he was nippy,as soon as the trap was open he was gone like a mmm greyhound.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Hello,

We were told by our breeder to hold her by the scruff of the neck and growl at her. Once she relaxed/submitted we let her walk away. This is what the mother would have done with the pup. We only had to do it for a couple of weeks and she soon got the idea.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 8:54 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't growl at a dog. And you don't need to smack it. If you do, you'll make it 'hand shy' and that can be an issue.

http://www.dogtrainingbasics.com/Nipping.htm

You need to go with the high pitched squeal technique. It's non invasive and non punishing, but your dog will not like it one bit. You need to startle him and then turn your back on him, walk away from him and ignore him. It's kind of the same as having a child... you put them in 'time out'. Dogs don't like being ignored. No eye contact, turn your back, ignore (everyone else should in the house/room too) and then try again. Should take him about 5 mins to get it. Less if he's clever.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

chris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud of

one method is to scrag it by the scruff of the neck(great term , that) and gently rag it, or shake it , as mother would have done, BUT the one i have used for all manner of doggie delinquencies is a water pistol, squirt the dog each time he does it, evrytime if poss, it'll soon stop, its non invasive, non cruel doesnt cause side effects and works everytime, or has for me.Good luck. My dog was a relentless barker for years when in the park, for no reason, an old police dog trainer suggested i try it. Took 5 days to stop, and shes never done it since, really i'd put up with the noise for bloody years!!!
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Have you had the pup since he was born? I'm no Dr Harry but maybe if you adopted him something happened to him early on that causes him to react like this.

Speaking of Dr Harry, I found this - scroll down to the nippy Jack Russell video - on google, may give you some ideas?
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 10:12 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Dogs do not scruff shake each other to communicate dominance. It is not a dog behaviour. It's a predatory 'prey' behaviour and you should NOT do it with your dog.

http://www.k9concept.com/articles/leadership.html
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

Hello,

I'd agree with Chris the water pistol or old fairy liquid bottle squirt is very effective. I've used it like him for barking as well. Downside is sometimes makes the dog anti bath as I found out when he needed a medical wash over. If he keeps it up he'll just feel more dominant and become worse.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

This is a great site ...

http://www.gooddogzone.com/content/aggression-0
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 12:47 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

When our dog nipped we gave him a short gentle smack on the nose and just said 'NO!' and that sorted it. Didn't give him any hand complexes, he wasn't afraid of us, no ill effects at all, just no more holes in my sleeves!
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

salopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud of

Bite him back.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 1:13 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

he's still a puppy? Drop kick him out of the house...I'm guessing he'll learn that lesson...

I'd concur with a little nip back actually, It can be effective...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.