Wikiposts

Dog Insurance

Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud of
Question Dog Insurance

Hi just wondering
1)what kind of dog insurance the BE Dog Owners have if any
2)Also I have discoverd you will aquire 3 points on driving licence if a dog is unrestrained in the car. Do you have a harness or a mesh screen in your car?
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:25 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dog Insurance

Originally Posted by Wilgar
Hi just wondering
1)what kind of dog insurance the BE Dog Owners have if any
2)Also I have discoverd you will aquire 3 points on driving licence if a dog is unrestrained in the car. Do you have a harness or a mesh screen in your car?
I have a doggy harness... goes through the seatbelt. But if my dog is in the booy, I put her harness on and attach the leash to it, then secure the leash to the babyseat attachment thingy.
Never been stopped though so dunno if it's legal or not.

Don't have insurance for my dog.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:29 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I was with (PM me for details as I dont want to mention them on here) and had a huge dispute with them which now involves the insurance ombudsman - they kept taking money out of our account - 3 times in one day, would put it back and then take it out.

They took months to pay out for a claim on my puppy and even one of the underwriters said our treatment was unnacceptable. I know many people who have been with them without any problems but after I told them not to keep taking money from our account and they got us overdrawn, I decided I could no longer trust them.

We have now registered our pets with Medibank private - which also offers cash towards heartworm, flea treatment, vaccines.

I never knew that about the harness and dogs in the back of cars - thanks for that. Can you get doggy car harnesses? I must check into that.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud of

Presumably she still has ability to move in the harness?

I also think dogs go in the car less here in Oz due to hot weather. In England I rarely went anywher in the car without our dog. He just loved car rides, but then I could leave him in car outside shops etc for longer than here.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:33 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Presumably she still has ability to move in the harness?

I also think dogs go in the car less here in Oz due to hot weather. In England I rarely went anywher in the car without our dog. He just loved car rides, but then I could leave him in car outside shops etc for longer than here.

We just chuck the dog in the back and he is away with us, I didnt even know there were special harnesses - Im off to google it.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

www.dlg.nsw.gov.au
There is info on this site as to responsibiities of dog owners ( In NSW)
Its also an offence to have them running free in public areas.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:38 am

www.dlg.nsw.gov.au
There is info on this site as to responsibiities of dog owners ( In NSW)
Its also an offence to have them running free in public areas.
This is mine:

Yes, she can move.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Sal1705 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have cover with Petplan and have made a claim already and I have no complaints with them. Approx $50 per month.

I have emailed the RTA re restraining a dog in the car but we were informed of this law at our Obedience Training.

Will your dog not fit in your car boot Wilgar? If so, a harness may not be most appropriate as I always assumed harness was for a dog to sit on back seat of car????
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

He prefers to sit up on passenger seat. He has delusions of grandeur!!!!!!!!
I would prefer to keep him in the back of staion wagon as with my driving I`d hate to put him thro front window!!!!!
What did you clim for?
After Rosscarberrys` sad experience and huge bills I think some sort of insurance would be good.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Tiddly, I cannot open the picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!?
Old Jan 28th 2010, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

He prefers to sit up on passenger seat. He has delusions of grandeur!!!!!!!!
I would prefer to keep him in the back of staion wagon as with my driving I`d hate to put him thro front window!!!!!
What did you clim for?
After Rosscarberrys` sad experience and huge bills I think some sort of insurance would be good.
Why does that not surprise me!!!

Our dog trainer told us that a dog guard was considered enough if you were thinking of putting him in boot - ours cost about $50 I think from Autobarn.

I will let you know when I hear back from RTA.

Claimed when his ear was ripped and he needed stitches/general anesthetic after being attacked in the not so friendly "off leash" dog park.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 12:06 pm

Tiddly, I cannot open the picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!?
It should just show up in the thread.

Copy URL to your address bar and have a look.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

DUR!
It has now. Thanks.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sal1705
Why does that not surprise me!!!

Our dog trainer told us that a dog guard was considered enough if you were thinking of putting him in boot - ours cost about $50 I think from Autobarn.

I will let you know when I hear back from RTA.

Claimed when his ear was ripped and he needed stitches/general anesthetic after being attacked in the not so friendly "off leash" dog park.
Poor Max. That`s dreadful.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Ok - are you ready for this........This is the reply I got from the RTA

The Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act Rule 7, states that a person must not carry or convey a dog (other than a dog being used to work livestock), on the open back of a moving vehicle on a public street unless the dog is restrained or enclosed in such a way as to prevent the dog falling from the vehicle.

Dogs should not ride unrestrained in either the front or back seats of any vehicle as the police may fine you if they deem that you do not have proper control of the vehicle due to the animal interfering with your control. Specially designed animal boxes and harnesses are available and should be used. A pet harness can be attached to the vehicle's seat belt allowing the dog to sit or lie on the seat. These harness and boxes can be purchased in a variety or sizes from the RSPCA or from pet supply stores.

It is stated in legislation that a driver must not drive with a person or animal in the driver's lap. This is Road Rule 297 (1A) Drive motor vehicle with person or animal in lap.

Dogs riding on the back of an open vehicle must be restrained or enclosed in such a way that they cannot fall off. If tethered, this should be to a short chain attached by a swivel to a central anchor point on the floor behind the cabin. The other end of the chain should be attached to the dog's collar by another swivel to prevent tangling.

A driver must not drive with a person or animal in the driver's lap. The rider of a motorbike must not ride with an animal on the fuel tank. This does not apply to a person who travels less than 500 metres for the purposes of farming.

To view the complete road rule please click on the below link to find Road Rule 297 which relates to your enquiry:

http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/vi...79+2008+fn+0+N

Hope this helps!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.