They drive me nuts. day and night!
8.33%
Support dog free zones on Oz. Click for yes
8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Dog Free Zones

Old Jan 16th 2006, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice
Default Dog Free Zones

A while ago I posted a thread about where we lived in Mornington being like living in a petshop. The good news is the animal noises (mainly dogs) improved after that, but the bad news is that we had to move to another rented house and the barking dogs are driving us nuts.

Do you reckon they should create some dog free zones in Oz, a bit like the smokeless zones in the UK in the '70s?
Old Jan 16th 2006, 11:37 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog Free Zones

Originally Posted by Neil S
A while ago I posted a thread about where we lived in Mornington being like living in a petshop. The good news is the animal noises (mainly dogs) improved after that, but the bad news is that we had to move to another rented house and the barking dogs are driving us nuts.

Do you reckon they should create some dog free zones in Oz, a bit like the smokeless zones in the UK in the '70s?

Hi Neil,

no we are lucky, its very quiet where we are and rarely hear any dogs barking, what causes the noise here is the Kookaburras, the noise they make is unreal !!!! and those sakata thingies (is that how you spell it) they sound like crickets on speed, very very noisey !!!!!! but we're getting used to them now, quite like hearing the crickets at night, quite relaxing
Old Jan 16th 2006, 4:18 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Neil S

I know it's ironic that I have an opinion on this as we have a large GSD (sorry, Mrs JTL) but our rental is surrounded by dogs on all sides, and ours is the only one that doesn't bark gratuitously. Drives me nuts. There was a very loud party going on recently, and they sounded like the hounds from hell at 1:00 a.m. And they all trigger each other off too.... One side of us has two large dogs (been told rotties) that are *never* walked, hardly ever played with or even spoken too, and are never even let out of the yard. The other side of us has two little yappers that also live outside and never seem to get walked or talked to - and they go off on a barking/yapping bender when I hang the washing out....

Having said that I think owners should be more responsible and accountable - I don't think there should be no-go areas for dogs.

Sue
Old Jan 16th 2006, 6:40 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree, dog barking can be very irritating!!

However, we have a Boxer, who is hooked on barking her mouth off at anyone who dares walk past our fence!!

If someone can tell me how the hell to shut her up, I would be most greatful!

Seriosly though, we make an effort to ensure she only goes out when people are 'out' of bed and if she does start barking loudly and/ or continuously, she comes in!
Old Jan 16th 2006, 7:42 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer

However, we have a Boxer, who is hooked on barking her mouth off at anyone who dares walk past our fence!!

Seriosly though, we make an effort to ensure she only goes out when people are 'out' of bed and if she does start barking loudly and/ or continuously, she comes in!
Our Boxer only barks if someone knocks at the door (even then it`s not all the time) needless to say we don`t have him for his guard dog capabilities
Old Jan 16th 2006, 8:56 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Errr, Hey dudde, I thoughttt you saaid u wentedd a druugg fre zown, sowie

Woof Woof
Old Jan 17th 2006, 4:00 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer

Although ours doesn't respond to the surrounding howlings, he does have a problem with barking whenever someone comes to the door. If that someone comes in, he then sits and barks his head off at them. I think he's nervous and thinks if he barks long enough and loud enough, he'll get rid of the visitor. We've been told that there is some training you can do to stop it - so if it works, I'll let you know!

Sue