Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Doesnt the nature here just knock you out?!!

Doesnt the nature here just knock you out?!!

Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Doesnt the nature here just knock you out?!!

Showed the guys at work your ant photo....basically they weren't interested other than it just confirmed that I am nuts

Did you notice that the one in the middle is bigger than the others....size of the head and legs.....

Must get to the library for an ant book......
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I found the biggest shiniest purple slug on the veranda today. Sadly, I realised it's the first slug I've seen since I've been here. This bugger made up for that though. It was HUGE!
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:05 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

I am trying to be a little self sufficient - I have chickens and have planted lots of herbs, veg, grapes, fruit trees etc.

What a complete nightmare I am having
stink bugs
caterpillers that are 2 inches long with big eyes - lot of them
little grasshoppers that eat an entire crop of a herb in one sitting - hundreds of them
elephant bugs
black soldier flies (now my friends but previously the larvae were intruders in my worm bin)
Mango tree pest - unknown name

Last night I went in my bathroom and there were hundreds of tiny tiny worm like things with black heads - the entire thing being the size of a tiny tiny piece of cotton. No idea what they are - I bleached it right through yesterday pm and then last night I saw these things. I did it all again at 2am and now this morning there are more. Mysterious and distinctly unnerving.

I dont suppose gecko babies are like that are they?

the list goes on.

I am just about to reach for the pyrethrum

Vivienne
Old Feb 5th 2009, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Talking of geckos....this one really made me jump today. It was in one of our server rooms, so it was quite cool in there.
Attached Thumbnails Doesnt the nature here just knock you out?!!-n646881659_2076872_8311.jpg   Doesnt the nature here just knock you out?!!-n646881659_2076874_9084.jpg   Doesnt the nature here just knock you out?!!-n646881659_2076875_9442.jpg  
Old Feb 5th 2009, 8:11 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by medwaymark
Showed the guys at work your ant photo....basically they weren't interested other than it just confirmed that I am nuts

Did you notice that the one in the middle is bigger than the others....size of the head and legs.....

Must get to the library for an ant book......
ROFL! Awww.. you are unappreciated in your day!

If you come up with anything, then let me know!

Em x
Old Feb 5th 2009, 11:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by medwaymark
Talking of geckos....this one really made me jump today. It was in one of our server rooms, so it was quite cool in there.
He/she's gorgeous
Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:39 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
Not literally of course!! but you know what I mean..

I love it here (no?! really! LOL!) and one of the major reasons is the nature.. not just the views etc, but the birds and creatures etc etc..

Today I was driving to Coles and went around the roundabout and an entire family of ducks with ducklings en-situ were waddling across the road (was a back road)... I put on the hazard lights and blocked the road (haha! am being a lollypop lady here!) and another car pulled up and we sat there grinning at each other watching this entire family waddle slowly across! Cheered me up no end.. if only I had a camera on me!

Love the big big birds... saw some fantastic eagles whilst we were travelling up WA on highway 1... never seen anything like it before.. totally wild in their own environment... we see other birds up here on the coast, at a guess I think they are Kestrels but I am not an avid birdwatcher so wouldnt know..

Em x
I know exactly what you mean...the nature and wildlife over here really is stunning... a couple of times spring to mind. Last year we went lychee picking at a farm at the foot of mount beerwah, it really is quite a beautiful spot, hidden from the world. On our way home, through the back roads, we had to stop as there was a huge kangaroo on the road, not letting us pass... it was somewhere between 5 and 6' tall. Not like the tiddlers you normally see round these parts...

What else...a couple of weekends ago we went fishing at north stradbroke. The waters there are crystal clear. In the morning we fished surfside and in the afternoon we fished from some rocks at Dunwich. A decent sized carpet shark decided to investigate us, and he spent 20mins swimming back and forth in the waters below our feet !
Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:46 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

On the flipside, Australia has its fair share of extremely annoying creatures.

e.g. the horse fly. Last time I was on main beach at north stradbroke I didn't notice any.... but this time, there were tonnes of the b*ggers.

For anyone who hasn't seen them, they are about 1inch long, big, brown, and they bite. (and it hurts).
Old Feb 5th 2009, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Well that's true. We were sitting outside trying to cheer ourselves up with the fact that we don't have many flies, no bull ants, no snakes, no heartworm or paralysis ticks etc.

But it's just not the same watching starlings and blackbirds eat the bread you throw on the back lawn. In Australia we sat outside our camper and watched rosellas, black and white cockatoos, galahs and kookaburras, and we loved walking along a beach sporting pelicans rather than just seagulls. I loved watching kangaroos and emus in the wild but I'm afraid I can't shake the kiwi idea that possums are vermin.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 10:44 pm
Account Open

Originally Posted by kiwinow
and we loved walking along a beach sporting pelicans rather than just seagulls.
I like the drive on the houghton highway bridge across to redcliffe....there's a streetlight every 30m or so with a pelican perched on top.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah. Don't they look ridiculous up there?
We saw one perched on a lamppost on Urangan Pier in Hervey Bay. They look so uncomfortable with their massive webbed feet balancing on this little perch.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 8:34 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
On the flipside, Australia has its fair share of extremely annoying creatures.

e.g. the horse fly. Last time I was on main beach at north stradbroke I didn't notice any.... but this time, there were tonnes of the b*ggers.

For anyone who hasn't seen them, they are about 1inch long, big, brown, and they bite. (and it hurts).
we have got a lot down here too and yep they do hurt
Old Feb 8th 2009, 9:00 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, when you look up at the really high electricity pylons and see a huge birds nest up the top! Usually an Eagles nest I would think??

Em x
Old Feb 8th 2009, 10:11 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I've posted this before but this little chap was about a metre from my patio door, in the garden of our tiny terraced house 5 minutes from the North Sydney CBD. How cool is that. Shame about all the poo he and his mates drop off the pergola onto the patio.

One reason we moved into such an urban area was so that we wouldn't have any wildlife, due to having 3 cats.

Said cats, however, are thankfully in awe of the local critters, including the noisy miners that gang up on and screech at them.

Saw a cassowary half way up the track at Mount Lewis a few years ago when on safari; our guide said it was a rare sighting.
Attached Thumbnails Doesnt the nature here just knock you out?!!-possum.jpg  
Old Feb 9th 2009, 3:42 am
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by emelems
Not literally of course!! but you know what I mean..

I love it here (no?! really! LOL!) and one of the major reasons is the nature.. not just the views etc, but the birds and creatures etc etc..

Today I was driving to Coles and went around the roundabout and an entire family of ducks with ducklings en-situ were waddling across the road (was a back road)... I put on the hazard lights and blocked the road (haha! am being a lollypop lady here!) and another car pulled up and we sat there grinning at each other watching this entire family waddle slowly across! Cheered me up no end.. if only I had a camera on me!

Love the big big birds... saw some fantastic eagles whilst we were travelling up WA on highway 1... never seen anything like it before.. totally wild in their own environment... we see other birds up here on the coast, at a guess I think they are Kestrels but I am not an avid birdwatcher so wouldnt know..

Em x
Couldn't agree more I was just leaving work on saturday backing my car out of the parking bay as I saw a lone Koala just wandering across the road in front of me just wish I'd been able to get a pic of it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.