British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Does 'dogging' over here have a different meaning? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/does-dogging-over-here-have-different-meaning-671273/)

Howard Jenings Jun 6th 2010 11:30 am

Does 'dogging' over here have a different meaning?

I drove past a hire place today for heavy machinery and on the sign it listed the jobs you use the machinery for, you know drilling, boreing, digging and then dogging, I had to drive past again to make sure I had read it right and I had, the sign had not been tampered with. Does it mean something different over here?

EvannTel Jun 6th 2010 11:36 am

Re: Does 'dogging' over here have a different meaning?

Originally Posted by Howard Jenings (Post 8614702)
I drove past a hire place today for heavy machinery and on the sign it listed the jobs you use the machinery for, you know drilling, boreing, digging and then dogging, I had to drive past again to make sure I had read it right and I had, the sign had not been tampered with. Does it mean something different over here?

Lol yes it does. A dogger is a bit like a rigger but not exactly the same

Mrs Kiwi Jun 6th 2010 11:46 am

Ha, this thread cheered me right up. Was trying to explain the UK term "dogging" to an Ozzie colleague the other day (not sure how the subject came up!) and they'd never heard of it. It was a fun conversation though!

fish.01 Jun 6th 2010 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi (Post 8614731)
Ha, this thread cheered me right up. Was trying to explain the UK term "dogging" to an Ozzie colleague the other day (not sure how the subject came up!) and they'd never heard of it. It was a fun conversation though!

Those tiny houses in the UK are responsible for a lot of mischief aren't they ;)

TakenThePlunge Jun 6th 2010 12:24 pm

I sure hope so, it seems like you need an awful lot of protection otherwise...

http://www.easyguides.com.au/sitebui...07/qld013b.jpg

Never needed to use a hardhat yet...

EvannTel Jun 6th 2010 12:27 pm

Now if that girder were more phallic we'd know what dogging really was!

cresta57 Jun 6th 2010 12:50 pm

Nope, rigger/dogman is the same job in the U.K as it is over here. Only difference here is that in the usual Aussie way dogman is shortened to dogger.
Also some places call young or inexperienced riggers "doggers":blink:

Sally Simpson Jun 6th 2010 2:15 pm

:lol:

jothefw Jun 7th 2010 6:01 am

Out here in the sticks of Woop Woop dogging is what the boys do every other night - no guns needed for fox hunting, just a ute and a pack of hunting dogs.

Every time they ring my brother up to organise it he gets a fit of hysterics because they just don't get it!

Broad Shoulders Jun 7th 2010 6:18 am

Originally Posted by Howard Jenings (Post 8614702)

I'm picturing a guy sitting in his JCB with his indicators on and his windscreen wipers going

Mrs Kiwi Jun 7th 2010 9:03 am

:rofl::rofl::thumbsup:

tartankoala Jun 7th 2010 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 8616130)
I'm picturing a guy sitting in his JCB with his indicators on and his windscreen wipers going

Is that the sign is it? ;)

Bernieboy Jun 7th 2010 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 8616130)

Voice of experience ??

Burbage Jun 7th 2010 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly (Post 8616428)
Voice of experience ??

Or optimism?

2coxys Jun 7th 2010 10:45 am

I asked someone what he did for a living he said he was a dogger, after looking at him a bit strange he explained that he kills dogs, not sure that was much better!