Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

does 'cheap' Sydney suburb equate to 'unsafe'???

does 'cheap' Sydney suburb equate to 'unsafe'???

Old Nov 11th 2008, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: does 'cheap' Sydney suburb equate to 'unsafe'???

Don't like Miller.

I drive to work through Wetherill Park (think that's how it's spelt) and Graystaines (again...check spelling) and they seem quite nice...
Old Nov 11th 2008, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

$350K isn't too much to go on, however, having said that, there's a no. of suburbs that would fit the bill, Richmond included. Try Quakers Hill (a nicer duplex would be advisable on the newer Farnham Rd side), Riverstone, Schofields and parts of the west. You really need to see it for yourself to gauge the "safety" factor, or else trust the advice of someone who lives in the area or is familiar with it.

If it were me, I'd prefer a duplex or large unit in a suburb a little closer in. Try the Hills district on the Northwest side, or even southside places like Campbelltown or Narellan.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 8:15 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacque
$350K isn't too much to go on, however, having said that, there's a no. of suburbs that would fit the bill, Richmond included. Try Quakers Hill (a nicer duplex would be advisable on the newer Farnham Rd side), Riverstone, Schofields and parts of the west. You really need to see it for yourself to gauge the "safety" factor, or else trust the advice of someone who lives in the area or is familiar with it.

If it were me, I'd prefer a duplex or large unit in a suburb a little closer in. Try the Hills district on the Northwest side, or even southside places like Campbelltown or Narellan.

Yep the Hills District is pretty nice. Would you be able to get a duplex for $350k there? I've never really looked at the prices to be honest...just assumed it was too expensive for me!! Some of the areas are really nice (the older areas I prefer, where all the houses aren't on top of each other).
Old Nov 11th 2008, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

$350K will get you a duplex and possibly house in Quakers Hill, a townhouse or large unit in Baulkham Hills, Castle Hill, Kings Langley and even Northmead. It's a large area, made up of some 20+ suburbs.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

ozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really nice

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Soon... perhaps one morning this week?

Thurs?

Thursday will be fine ... sometime during the second half of 2009.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

poppyjasper is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
We are south west down past Campbelltown near Camden and its fine down here. Over an hour to the city though but thats fine for us as hubby works in Bankstown.
Try looking at Mt Annan, Currans Hill, Narellan Vale, Camden and surrounds, you can get a 3/4 bed house for $350k and there are loads to choose from.

P x
Old Nov 11th 2008, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

We live at Cowan 2081, a village with a bit less than 200 houses, 55 mins from Sydney Central using the Inter Urban trains. We have a railway station with a one hour service which is generally on time (except when you have an urgent appointment), a couple of extra trains at peak time, you can drive to Berowra, 3.5 Kms for three trains an hour. We have a primary school and a bus to alternative schools, one general store with mini-post office and a boat sales yard. Berowra heights, 8.5 Kms has a Coles and IGA supermarkets, Hornsby 18 Kms has a huge Westfield Shopping Centre with more than 250 shops including three supermarkets (Aldi, Coles & Woolworths), two department stores (DJs & Myers) and two variety stores (K-Mart & Target). We've lived here for 27 years and compared to many others are newcomers. It is a fairly quite suburb with hardly any crime, lots of trees, plenty of fresh air and wildlife, we are surrounded by National Parks and Nature Reserves. We hope that we never have to move but guess that one day we will end up in a retirement village. It is rare for houses to come on the market, only three at the moment, when they do three beds on reasonable block would be around 450K but very occasionally you do get the one that needs a lot of work doing for much less. If you are house hunting it is worth including Cowan in any searches. The local shop is also a café if you'd like to call in for a look, it's on the Old Pacific Highway, go left after Berowra and just before the F3 on ramp. We are now retired but when working we both travelled to the city, got a lot of reading done on the train.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 2:16 am
Just Joined

foxy_rich will become famous soon enough

I can vouch for the Windsor/Richmond area, really beautiful countryside and a lovely place. Moved here on Saturday, in temporary accomodation at the moment, but working for The Land newspaper, great place. Recommend Windsor for those who like traditional Australia.

While I'm on here, if anyone has a rental property around the Hawekebury, I'd be interested!
Old Nov 12th 2008, 2:23 am

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by foxy_rich
I can vouch for the Windsor/Richmond area, really beautiful countryside and a lovely place. Moved here on Saturday, in temporary accomodation at the moment, but working for The Land newspaper, great place. Recommend Windsor for those who like traditional Australia.

While I'm on here, if anyone has a rental property around the Hawekebury, I'd be interested!
Hey welcome to the Hawkesbury!! Rentals are pretty hard to come by at the moment arent they - we've just bought to escape them!

Whereabouts are you staying? Are you on your own or with a family? If theres anything I can do to help out just shout
Old Nov 13th 2008, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

foxy_rich will become famous soon enough

Hey, thanks! The Hawkesbury is a lovely place, very surprised by it actually! Currently living on a farm in a spare room in Box Hill, with 30 horses for company! The rental market is a bit annoying, the real estate agents seem very reluctant to help too. I'll get there though!
Old Nov 14th 2008, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

ozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really nice

Hi again

what about flooding?
House with river at the back of garden not recommended?
Old Nov 14th 2008, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by ozbaz
Hi again

what about flooding?
House with river at the back of garden not recommended?
Depends whereabouts and whether or not the house is on stilts or at least a certain height off the ground. In certain areas of the Hawkesbury it wouldnt be a good idea.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

mi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ozbaz
Hi

By 'affordable' I mean we have decided to eventually buy a house for around 350.000 tops!

30km of CBD ----- try 230km and you may find something.

Have you actually been to Sydney and the surrounding districts?

Most of "us" coming over with Kidz working in the city have to find a place about 1 to 2 hours driving north, south or west of Sydney to find something affordable. There are places out west, smaller all wood mainly. If you dont want a mortage, it sounds as though you aint looking for work, so why do you need to be in the Sydney area at all?
Anything near a bus, train or highway within 1.5 hour of CBD is usually taken up by working comuters.

Best of luck.... do keep us all informed cos if you find a place...maybe we can also!
Old Nov 14th 2008, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

mi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by foxy_rich
Hey, thanks! The Hawkesbury is a lovely place, very surprised by it actually! Currently living on a farm in a spare room in Box Hill, with 30 horses for company! The rental market is a bit annoying, the real estate agents seem very reluctant to help too. I'll get there though!

I will vouch for that ! family contacts had a place fore sale and not having any liuck, changed to renting and we phoned the estate agent, did not mention any connetion and asked about viewing saturday 15th ( its vacant and no furniture in) Oh we have somebody coming...best give us a call next week to check again!
What happened to teh UK method of pack um in and take the first with a deposit!

Advised our "contact" ...we view in 2 hours!

Contacted virtually every estate agent around between Sydney and Newcastle - Wollongong....only 1 reply on 30 peoperties asked about!
Old Nov 14th 2008, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocciecake
we also lived in leichhardt, in a victorian semi, for £360 wk, and that was a great suburb, and close to everything....
.....and under the flight path...or at least very close to it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.