Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Does anyone who's moved to Oz actually like it????

Wikiposts

Does anyone who's moved to Oz actually like it????

Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone who's moved to Oz actually like it????

We love it here and will definitely be staying. We did however struggle to settle in the first place.........long story but the short version is that at first the whole family did not come...so I think I was missing my hubby more than anything. People's expectations are different, but we came for an adventure and decided that the minute we landed on Australian soil we would embrace the Australian way of life, and tried not to compare things, we just accepted that things are done differently here.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sa2uk2oz
we love it here............. won't be going anywhere in a hurry
ditto and we ping pongd!
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 10:14 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

We're on the fence, like both places the same but we're still moving back to England at some point.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 10:20 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I love it.. but I still see the negatives a bit too much at the moment.. like the prev poster said, its prob just due to the time of the year

Em x
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

We love it, been in Oz 12 years, Sydney for 3 - now Brissy. There are things we miss about England, it's not perfect here, but on the whole it suits us and we are very happy. Keep an open mind.

Lots of good replies on here for you - I hope it gives you some confidence in your decision. Good luck!
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 10:23 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

It's nothing special but it is where I will be for a while.

G
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 10:30 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I love it, but then I'm easily pleased.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

Generali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Bear in mind that in both camps of "loving it" or "hating it" people have come from different background, have arrived for different reasons and subsequently wish to leave for different reasons.

To make a go of it people need to:
Really focus on their reasons for coming
Do as much research as possible
Have as much possible positive attitude

Having said that sometimes even with attitude and endless amounts of research things go against you and for what ever reason they are trapped in a place they don't want to be.

All you can do from this forum is listen and learn. And perhaps use your own intuition to what is a whine and what is knowledge too soak up.

Common things that come across are:
Distance to family - not so apparent to alot of people until it happens
Different work related methods - often backwards due to distance from rest of world.
Costs of living - well hello consider the difference in populations and therefore spread of costs. If it was cheap as chips would not half the european population being migrating?
Good things come to those that put in the effort - so come thinking your looking for an easy life? ha ha to you.

Utopia its not - if your searching for that you miss out on life.

To those stuck due to items outside your control - Karma to you and hope the coming months bring some sunshine in your lives.
I got into a chat with an Aussie bloke on NYE who'd worked with a Pom who hated Aus. He started asking me about specific complaints his colleague had had.

As he mentioned each thing I said, "Yeah, that's something that's better in the UK" or words to that effect.

When he finished he asked me (rather grumpily) why I'm here if that stuff is all better in the UK. My reply was that most of the things on the list were unimportant to me - that they're better in the UK has little bearing on my happiness. Many of the things in Aus that are better are important to me and so it makes the bad stuff (eg missing family, not being able to follow one of my hobbies) ok.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

MichPayne has a spectacular aura aboutMichPayne has a spectacular aura aboutMichPayne has a spectacular aura about

Thank you everyone Ive put my kleenex away and Im ready to pack my last bits n pieces, I hope we meet lots of people like you lot when we get there

Im moving to South Brisbane not far from South bank for the first few months anyway, if anyones not too far meeting up would be great.

See you there
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 1:36 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Beats the shit out of the yookay ... that's for sure.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 1:43 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Im happy, I can at least get my sunshine fix from the real thing rather than a lightbox.

We have a better quality of life - its just the way it worked out.

Emigrating is a total head ****, you wouldnt believe how it plays with your emotions and nothing can prepare you for how you will not only miss your loved ones in the UK, but how little things can make you incredibly patriotic.

I have forgotten what English money looks like, I panic because I cant even imagine it.

I need to keep a part of myself 'anchored' as to where I am from but at the same time I am quite at peace with where I am going as in the future.

Yes I am happy, I like it but it does come with baggage.

Would I move back? No.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
It's nothing special but it is where I will be for a while.G
Just out of interest, given that you don't seem to be very enamoured with Oz, why are you there? Family?
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I'd add another key ingredient to success here - a high degree of self sufficiency and a large dose of selfishness and I dont mean those in a derogatory sense. If you are enmeshed with people and things back in UK then you will find it so much harder to be on the other side of the world.

Personally I "absolutely loved" it here for the first 10 years, was indifferent for the next 10 years and have come to hate it over the last 10 years. I stay because I have to (DH!) but would be off like a shot tomorrow if he would agree to come too. After a few years the sameness and the blandness can get to you, but the initial sense of adventure is fun.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

Hills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud of

Some good advice from many posters. We've only been here for just over a year (and I'll bow to quoll's thirty year stint that things could change) but things are fine for us, for now.

My observation is only you can make it work or not. We have no real idea why people like it or don't like it here. Some people post their reasons on here, some don't.

Missing family and friends seems to be a common theme. My advice is if a potential migrant can't cope with a move within the UK (sell up, and move to an area at least 500 miles away, buy/rent a house, find schools for kids and get jobs, make a new circle of friends, etc.) then moving over here will be difficult.

The cost of living is another common comment. The thing to consider is that we're on big relatively isolated island (yes I know it's a continent) of c.22 million people. The UK is an island of c. 60 million people close to a market of c.300 million people. It's not sensible to compare in too much detail the relative cost of living between here and the UK. The simple fact is that some things are cheaper and some things are more expensive. That's the way it is.

The most important thing is to have (after money, unless you are cashed up) is the right (positive) attitude. Once you have a job and a roof over your head, your attitude will solve most challenges that come your way.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 8:43 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been here three years now and I'm 'used to it'. Which is probably about as good as its going to get for me. I doubt I will be returning to the UK anytime soon but only because of the cost and effort involved in doing so.

One thing you will find is that Oz is becoming very, very expensive in relation to the UK. The exchange rate moves are a killer for people moving out and I believe will start to put the brakes on future migrants. Those of us who have been here a while now obviously don't see any of that, but we have had friends out from the UK over Christmas and the New Year and they were staggered at the cost of some things.

Small example.... friends had just bought a new coffee machine in the UK from Comet, cost 219 pounds. Noticed the same one in the junk mail from Domayne. Cost in the Domayne sale $800. $350 dearer !!

About the only thing that they said was obviously cheaper was petrol and that you still get more bang for your buck when it comes to housing, at least where I am anyway.

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Jan 3rd 2009 at 8:51 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.