Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Does anyone who's moved to Oz actually like it????

Wikiposts

Does anyone who's moved to Oz actually like it????

Old Jan 2nd 2009, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

MichPayne has a spectacular aura aboutMichPayne has a spectacular aura aboutMichPayne has a spectacular aura about
Default Does anyone who's moved to Oz actually like it????

I've been reading so many negative posts on here about Australia, how expensive it is, how different it is from poeples expectations, loads of people moving back to the UK!

Were moving to Brisbane on Tuesday and Im now feeling full of dread and wondering if there are people who are glad they moved and have found it a positive experience?

Is there anyone that wants to stay there?
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 7:00 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone who's moved to Oz actually like it????

Lots of people love it, including us, but I think the negative views are just people trying to make it realistic and remove the rose tinted specs view that you can have before you are here working and earning dollars.

Same shit, shiner bucket really does sum up, and life's what you make it.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

We absolutely love it!!

yes, there are negatives and it's not cheap here but the positives by far outway the negatives for us!!

just don't think you're going to paradise and you'll be fine!!
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

MichPayne has a spectacular aura aboutMichPayne has a spectacular aura aboutMichPayne has a spectacular aura about

Hi, thanks for your messages, I agree about being realistic and I do think lifes what you make it. Im not coming over with a view to being on a permenant holiday or anything I was just given the opportunity when I applied for a job and got it :-)

I hope were going to like it and Im sure we'll make new friends and stuff. Its funny really everywhere you go here at home you here the hear people complaining constantly about the weather, the economy, the price of everything etc etc and Im worrying about moving

Im off to Brisbane 7th January and I am going to make the best of it...Like I do here
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 7:18 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MichPayne
Its funny really everywhere you go here at home you here the hear people complaining constantly about the weather, the economy, the price of everything etc etc
...and you will hear exactly the same things when you get here.

G
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 7:23 pm
ABCDiamond

I've been reading so many negative posts on here about Australia, how expensive it is, how different it is from poeples expectations, loads of people moving back to the UK!

Were moving to Brisbane on Tuesday and Im now feeling full of dread and wondering if there are people who are glad they moved and have found it a positive experience?

With 13,000 new permanent migrants arriving in Australia every month, you are bound to get some who don't like it.

Some people arrive here expecting Australia to be the same as the UK.

But if a new migrant is going to miss UK TV, UK Food, UK Pubs, UK family and other UK things, then .... well, it isn't the UK here.
They drive differently here, they watch different programs on TV, speak differently, and they don't have a Marks and Spencers !
Those people then have to change their thinking, or end up returning home.

Lots of people arrive in Brisbane, and all over Australia, and are very happy.

From some figures I found in the past, 90% of migrants will stay for 5 or more years, and about 70% will stay here for life.
My view is that the vast majority of migrants no longer use the forums once they are settled.

Therefore you will tend not to get the true average opinion of ALL migrants.
You will mainly only get opinions from those that are still not yet fully settled, and are still using the forums to keep in touch with other British people.
Obviously there are exceptions to this, as some are, or were, just addicted
What part of Brisbane are you going to be living in ?

Old Jan 2nd 2009, 7:33 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

A difference is not a negative. It's just a difference. Trouble is that most people resist change and see it as something to be avoided. It takes them out of their comfort zone. But what you need to accept is that when you emigrate you are forcing change on yourself. Some people cope with this better than others. Once the difference becomes the norm then the problem goes away.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Dairymilk04 will become famous soon enough

I think at the moment there are a lot of negative posts around as it has been Christmas and New Year, and people tend to feel homesickness/miss family and friends to a higher degree around this time.
But then with it being a public forum there is always going to be a difference of opinion, some love it, some hate it, and others are indifferent. But don't let anything put you off making a go of it, and lots of luck with the move next week
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like it here.....I bloody love it
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wendy
I don't like it here.....I bloody love it
Well said Wendy, that's exactly how we feel.You have to work at life and make it what you want it to be.Goodluck in your move

Allyson
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 7:55 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

of course some of us like it how could we not?

I am living in a wonderful place and am having a ball
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 8:15 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Bear in mind that in both camps of "loving it" or "hating it" people have come from different background, have arrived for different reasons and subsequently wish to leave for different reasons.

To make a go of it people need to:
Really focus on their reasons for coming
Do as much research as possible
Have as much possible positive attitude

Having said that sometimes even with attitude and endless amounts of research things go against you and for what ever reason they are trapped in a place they don't want to be.

All you can do from this forum is listen and learn. And perhaps use your own intuition to what is a whine and what is knowledge too soak up.

Common things that come across are:
Distance to family - not so apparent to alot of people until it happens
Different work related methods - often backwards due to distance from rest of world.
Costs of living - well hello consider the difference in populations and therefore spread of costs. If it was cheap as chips would not half the european population being migrating?
Good things come to those that put in the effort - so come thinking your looking for an easy life? ha ha to you.

Utopia its not - if your searching for that you miss out on life.

To those stuck due to items outside your control - Karma to you and hope the coming months bring some sunshine in your lives.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 8:23 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

There are lots of us on here who like it and intend to stay. Doesn't mean we don't say anything negative at times as Aus is a strange conundrum, it's like the UK in many ways but so unlike the UK in others and ahead of it in a lot of ways but ten to twenty years behind in others. But you get used to that if you don't come with rose tinted glasses on. It's still a great life and for many even though it's not the UK it's a home away from home.

If you come to the next The Spice Avenue Birkdale - Expats Curry League http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=92 you'll find lots of people who like Aus and are up for a good laugh. Also quite a few people go for drinks on a Tuesday at Gilhoolies you'll have to catch Pollyanna for info on that there's a thread somewhere.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 8:35 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

I was the one out of me and Mark that never really cared for Australia or would of visited here if it was not for him. We have been here three months now and i have to say it is growing on me and i am beginning to like it here and i can see us staying. I have to say it is not easy starting over and i miss my Mum and Dad like crazy but they are booking flights today to come out in September so things are getting better. We have just had new year with our friends and it was wicked. So i would say don't listen to all the negatives just get yourself settled into your new home and make you own decision about Australia, come over with an open mind.

Kerry.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

we love it here............. won't be going anywhere in a hurry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.