Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Does anyone despair at whats happening to Britain these days?

Does anyone despair at whats happening to Britain these days?

Old Jan 28th 2006, 2:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone despair at whats happening to Britain these days?

Originally Posted by stevieuk123
If only ! We all enjoy the plus side of immigration and overall I dont think people have too many racist hang ups in Britain.The do-gooders always use it as a defence for any one who questions some of the problems it is all causing. Its more of a concern about the scroungers and the crime a certain element get involved in. Also where are they all going to live if we keep going? Any governments ultamate responsability must be the protection of its citizens. Is one murder one too many? In Nottingham a local chased an immigrant youth shoplifting in the big centre and was stabbed to death. On the streets youths from eastern Europe who should never have been housed next to each other, were murdering their nieghbours in running street battles. A strict migration policy to vet incomers must be a sensible way to go.
I had to laugh following 9/11 when the minister in charge of security assured us that they were watching all of the small airports for security. At the same time lorry loads of youths were arriving picking up a wad of cash on entry and free housing, health care e.t.c many without question. Wern't the London bombers Asylum seekers? At least one of them was.

I'm somewhat confused by your postings, you talk about street battles, did you not hear about the 5000 odd aussies and lebs rampaging around sydney rioting over a long running race battle? Race clashes in Melbourne have gone on for years, on a smaller scale admittedly, also how do you feel about the hatred between some white aussies and our native people?

How many people murdered their neighbours in UK street battles? Do you know how many have been murdered in Melbournes gang wars, I believe its now around 30.

Your immigrants picking up a wad of cash on entry could be taken the wrong way, free housing and healthcare, umm, how many of us immigrants are accepting healthcare, childcare assistance, family tax benefits, home owners grants, rent assistance etc, what does that make us british then Lets hope the aussies feel more charitable about what we get on arrival

I thought a lot of the london bombers also included a british school teacher, kids of fish and chip shop owners etc , I think they can come from any background. On that point theres one suspected terrorist currently being sought who comes from a catholic private school, sunshine coast background, born and bred aussie lad. His mum used to sell houses about 2klm from where your bakery is sorry but its true.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's today's 'Australia is backward' statement (to annoy Vash)...

Why does Australia continually allow food manufacturers to use food additives in a widespread fashion? It is difficult find colourings 102 and 110 in foods in Europe due to their links with hyperactivity and yet Australian manufacturers use them widely.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
How much of australia have you seen then?

I would not base australias levels of anything on one of the most exclusive financially and racially elite parts of australia. Its a holiday destination, of course its looked after, its picturesque, most holiday spots are, it has the some of the most expensive real estate in Qld.
Actually Jad makes a very good point here. (What, she normally doesn't?)
She also underlines something I've been saying for years. All things being equal, if you are 'average' to below average in the UK then you may well be able to afford to move to a fantastic part of Australia. Of course it's bloody good, and I highly recommend you consider a move here.

This leads me on to say; if you live in a genuine sh*thole in the Uk then you are entitled to your opinion of the UK, and you get sympathy from me. I won't knock your opinion or try and post a balanced article saying how good the UK is. It is - but not for all.

However, if you have a good lifestyle in the UK then the poverty and blandness of the outer suburbs of any Aussie city could be a shock.

One of the things we've realised, and we didn't know this to start with, is that we moved to one of the best locations we could have ended up in Melbourne's outer suburbs where all the worse trappings of Australia bypass us. It's a different world here, yet move 10km away and we might have hated it here too and want to move closer to town or to another city. People often say how 'average' certain areas are, even 5kms away from us, yet they completely missed out on where we live as it is a bit hidden. We like it this way of course(!)

cheers

Badge
Old Jan 28th 2006, 7:09 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Here's today's 'Australia is backward' statement (to annoy Vash)...

Why does Australia continually allow food manufacturers to use food additives in a widespread fashion? It is difficult find colourings 102 and 110 in foods in Europe due to their links with hyperactivity and yet Australian manufacturers use them widely.
So why do so many food stuffs in the Uk have artificial sweetners in them, including things targeted at children?

I just about went around the bend trying to find things in the Uk that just had plain good old sugar in them when we were there 12 months ago! :scared:
Old Jan 28th 2006, 7:20 am
Des
Des

Des is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really nice

Hi folks

I,m living on the Sushine coast with my family and have been here for 4 months. Just opened a bakery in Kuluin. We moved here to escape the massive bills such as council tax £1800 a year, huge fuel bills, gas, electric, petrol. Also the crime and uncontrolled immigration. When we left we had asylum seekers having running street battles in Nottingham, killing each other with Samuri swords. What did Enoch say? Rivers of blood!
Its not easy here and I do miss going to Sainsbury's, the pub and of course friends and family but i,m not sure I could face all that again!
hey
i see you have an issue with asylum seekers so what are you going to do when they come to live where you are for some reason? maybe you should be a politician , but all the best
Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:12 am
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Totally agree. Both are great countries but I choose to live in Australia. End of arguement.
You've been shit-canning oz & the uk for as long as i've been on this forum, dropkick....why the big suck up?????????????
Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

stevieuk123 is a jewel in the roughstevieuk123 is a jewel in the roughstevieuk123 is a jewel in the roughstevieuk123 is a jewel in the roughstevieuk123 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Des
hey
i see you have an issue with asylum seekers so what are you going to do when they come to live where you are for some reason? maybe you should be a politician , but all the best
Thanks. They do seem to have a different aproach here. I remember watching an Ozzy politition getting slated for the tough policy but she explained that they had observed alot of the problems we had experienced in Europe and they were not going to let it happen here. I have no issue with genuine rtefugees anywhere but in Britain they are letting any one in under the guise of asylum.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:20 am
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
LOL

I guess I can think of places in the UK, where the outcome of Migration, wasn't as positive as some places here.
Are you talking germanic invasion?

You're dead rigt about Melb inner ring tough This city rocks!!
Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:20 am
Can't wait!

julie99k has a brilliant futurejulie99k has a brilliant futurejulie99k has a brilliant futurejulie99k has a brilliant futurejulie99k has a brilliant futurejulie99k has a brilliant future
Red face Re: Does anyone despair at whats happening to Britain these days?

Hi folks

I,m living on the Sushine coast with my family and have been here for 4 months. Just opened a bakery in Kuluin. We moved here to escape the massive bills such as council tax £1800 a year, huge fuel bills, gas, electric, petrol. Also the crime and uncontrolled immigration. When we left we had asylum seekers having running street battles in Nottingham, killing each other with Samuri swords. What did Enoch say? Rivers of blood!
Its not easy here and I do miss going to Sainsbury's, the pub and of course friends and family but i,m not sure I could face all that again!

Hi, we're coming back for a second holiday in feb and to do some more sussing out with a view to putting in applications for visas asap. It was only when we had to leave oz last year and came back into the uk that I realised I didnt want to come back here! it is grey, no one smiles, no one takes any pride in their work etc etc, obviously I generalise , but I grew up in East London and saw that change over the years , I then moved out to an idyllic village in Suffolk which I love but I know my children won't stay here and I wonder which part of the uk they would end up in and I dont want that uncertainty for them. I hope we can give them something better - but only time will tell!
Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gogdownunder
Are you talking germanic invasion?

You're dead rigt about Melb inner ring tough This city rocks!!
Lol, you need a dash of blond or ginger in your celtic genes

BTW, you should go on a pub crawl through Fitzroy one nite, Actually that could be a great blokes get together for the expats !!! Edit, .... or Richmond...
Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, you should go on a pub crawl through Fitzroy one nite, Actually that could be a great blokes get together for the expats !!! Edit, .... or Richmond...
Count me in Eagle, I used to work around there, (Richmond/Collingwood).

Badge
Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:51 am
Gwyllt

I'm so inbred, Tasmanians give me respect..seriously

does the phrase "you couldn't geta wellington in gertrude st." mean anything to you?
Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mackinnon
I'm still constantly amazed in this day & age that anyone, from any country on the face of this planet, can make the statement "my country is the best in the world" as if it were a fact.
Actually, I'm sympathetic to people like this. There are a few countries in the world where people actually can say that with confidence because they just know. Sure I think when the Yanks say that they are deluded(!), OK, I'm taking the piss, but I think a lot of Kiwis and Aussies, and Poms know on which side of their bread is buttered. If you've got confidence you just know it. You don't need to have someone question it.

When I served in the British Army, I knew my regiment was in the best. We just were, and enjoyed the prestigue we got as a result. I didn't have to serve in another regt to know this, nor was it a lack of confidence or problem to a) say we were the best to get a little rise out of the 'ordinary' regts or, b) to say others were crap.

As HiddenPaw says, sometimes subjective analysis and feeling is allowed to rule.

I haven't met loads of Aussies who say they live in the best country. I've met many who have lived elsewhere, and on balance, prefer Australia, and like it here to be proud of it. Show me the countries in the S Hemisphere where you can live on acreage an hour from a city that regularly crops up in the most liveable city indexes yet still have facilities the likes of which the richest countries in the N enjoy?

And vash, I like his posts. Sometimes people forget how backward the Uk is as well in many key areas (more than you would realise) and he gives you quite a reminder!

I lived in Central Europe for 2 years and they really hang it on the Uk.

Last edited by thatsnotquiteright; Jan 28th 2006 at 9:05 am.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gogdownunder
does the phrase "you couldn't geta wellington in gertrude st." mean anything to you?

No but we must discuss this in person one day gog

Errr it's not anything to do with shirt lifting is it ?

:scared:
Old Jan 28th 2006, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright

When I served in the British Army, I knew my regiment was the best. We just were,
First cowboys now soldiers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.