Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Dodgy fitted tiles in my new kitchen...............

Dodgy fitted tiles in my new kitchen...............

Old Apr 16th 2009, 9:36 pm
Best move in life

interested16 will become famous soon enoughinterested16 will become famous soon enough
Default Dodgy fitted tiles in my new kitchen...............

just spent 15 thousand on new kitchen and tiles behind cooker are like a waVE IN THE OCEAN IN A STORM.looks terrible.totally spoils the kitchen

the tiler claims its just normal as its where the plaster joins and he says it will look OK when range hood light is turned OF!not impressed but luckily not paid the last 50% for kitchen,what do i do???
Old Apr 16th 2009, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Dodgy fitted tiles in my new kitchen...............

Originally Posted by interested16
just spent 15 thousand on new kitchen and tiles behind cooker are like a waVE IN THE OCEAN IN A STORM.looks terrible.totally spoils the kitchen

the tiler claims its just normal as its where the plaster joins and he says it will look OK when range hood light is turned OF!not impressed but luckily not paid the last 50% for kitchen,what do i do???
Hi there
Sorry to hear about your dilemma. My OH is Tradesman and a lot of his jobs involve tiling kitchen and bathrooms. It should look good regardless with the amount of money that you have paid and also with the lights ON!

I suppose the one good thing is that you have not paid all of the money. I personally would not pay for a service for which I was not happy. Speak to them and tell them that you want them to rectify the problem, even if this involves removing them all and starting again.
Good luck and lets us know how you get on.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 11:03 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

$15000 on a kitchen !! WOW must be big and smart, is that 50% or have you gave them 7.5k and they still want the remaining 7.5k?

Anyway not that it matters that much,

Simple do not pay them another penny / cent until you are happy with the finish, its your 'hard earned' at the end of the day and do not give in to some cowboy contractor no matter how much bullsh1t he feeds you

Dougie
Old Apr 17th 2009, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Dazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE
$15000 on a kitchen !! WOW must be big and smart, is that 50% or have you gave them 7.5k and they still want the remaining 7.5k?

Anyway not that it matters that much,

Simple do not pay them another penny / cent until you are happy with the finish, its your 'hard earned' at the end of the day and do not give in to some cowboy contractor no matter how much bullsh1t he feeds you

Dougie
Listen to the others, Do not pay another cent until they have corrected the tiling. If you pay them anymore , you won't see them for dust.Stick to your gut feeling and Don't pay
Old Apr 17th 2009, 12:50 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/
Old Apr 17th 2009, 2:18 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Tell them to get another tiler in to do the job properly.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 10:34 am
FiP
Forum Regular

FiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really nice

Agree with all the above! We had the same issue in our new build and they retiled 3 times with a new batch of tiles and different tilers. Just keep insisting and don't take no for an answer. They always try it on first.:curse:
Old Apr 17th 2009, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Thrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant future

I work with lot of tilers some good some woeful, but like all ozzies the first reaction when you confront them over a "shonky" job is to make an excuse, always bear this in mind, your response to this pathetic excuse is " well if you think I'M paying for that!!!!"

The reality is that they can level the tiles using grout, it sounds like the walls uneven tand the dipstick just followed the uneven surface rather than levelling/compensating. ie they are not a real tradesman.

Give em hell.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 11:22 am
Best move in life

interested16 will become famous soon enoughinterested16 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Thrud
I work with lot of tilers some good some woeful, but like all ozzies the first reaction when you confront them over a "shonky" job is to make an excuse, always bear this in mind, your response to this pathetic excuse is " well if you think I'M paying for that!!!!"

The reality is that they can level the tiles using grout, it sounds like the walls uneven tand the dipstick just followed the uneven surface rather than levelling/compensating. ie they are not a real tradesman.

Give em hell.
called him up and came by right away and said "what do you want me to do!" Im like, i want them all removed and replaced! god dam right,no $$$ from me until im 100% happy with it! im sure he knew it was a balls up but was going to say nothing unless i did!
Old Apr 17th 2009, 1:57 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

called him up and came by right away and said "what do you want me to do!" Im like, i want them all removed and replaced! god dam right,no $$$ from me until im 100% happy with it! im sure he knew it was a balls up but was going to say nothing unless i did!
Good on you.
It is sad that people expect us to put up with shoddy workmanship that they would not find acceptable in their own houses.
Well done - I find things like that very hard to do but i am learning fast!!
J x
Old Apr 18th 2009, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

Thrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant future

You did exactly the right thing, lesson to all, keep money back from tradies, to many cowboys about.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Thrud

Give em hell.
Completely agree, I was a complete amateur with tiling when I was renovating my house but tiled my kitchen and bathroom successfully despite very uneven walls. I levelled it with extra grout on each tile (not sure if this was what you are supposed to do but hey it worked!) Can't believe that a "professional" couldn't do a better job than that!
Old Apr 19th 2009, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

bu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of light

Out of interest how much do tilers get paid in oz? most tilers get paid by the meter square, over here (uk)about £25 per Sq. meter,
If i do a tiling job i just charge a days wage for a days work i.e bathroom floor 1 day = £150. Hallway floor 2 days = £300. Havent had any complaints yet (fingers crossed)
Attached Thumbnails Dodgy fitted tiles in my new kitchen...............-rosary.jpg   Dodgy fitted tiles in my new kitchen...............-rosary1.jpg   Dodgy fitted tiles in my new kitchen...............-rosary2.jpg  
Old Apr 19th 2009, 11:08 am
Best move in life

Originally Posted by bu1lder
Out of interest how much do tilers get paid in oz? most tilers get paid by the meter square, over here (uk)about £25 per Sq. meter,
If i do a tiling job i just charge a days wage for a days work i.e bathroom floor 1 day = £150. Hallway floor 2 days = £300. Havent had any complaints yet (fingers crossed)
not sure as it was part of my kitchen package...it was actually the kitchen fitter that fitted the tiles,likely how so shabby!
Old Apr 19th 2009, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

bu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of light

not sure as it was part of my kitchen package...it was actually the kitchen fitter that fitted the tiles,likely how so shabby!
sounds like he wanted to earn/save the money for himself, which is fair enough if your good at your job. I get the same thing over here with conservatorys, you get the window fitters attempting to construct the brick bases to keep the money for themselves, i honestly havent seen many good ones. Each to their own trade, suppose in heindsight he should have employed a skilled tiler for the job in hand. good luck with it, i'm sure it will all turn out fine in the end, it usually does.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.