Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

do you think being called a POM is an insult?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: do you think being called a POM is an insult?
Yes (English)
10.11%
No (English)
66.29%
Yes (Other)
3.37%
No (Other)
22.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

do you think being called a POM is an insult?

Old Dec 2nd 2006, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: do you think being called a POM is an insult?

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Which station is this?
Hot Tomato.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
I do that all the time When someone asks me if I'd like coffee, i say errm? I'm a pom! What do you reckon? Then i get a cup of tea I also say things like "if you want real chips you should go to England, us poms know how to cook them properly" etc etc. Its banter is all. Sure, you will always get the people who use the term in a derogatory fashion, but you will probably find they are just racist knobs so their opinion doesn't matter anyway

Exactly
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 6:15 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Anybody surprised by the fact that we now have close to 1 in 6 English who ARE offended by being called a Pom? Should we be taking the wankers and tossers, as Vash so eloquently called them on the other Pom thread, who are campaigning against its use any more seriously now?
It must be difficult for Aussies to guess what to say and what not to say as the majority of us don't mind

If someone says something you don't like tell them.

If they are genuine they'll stop.

If they are pricks they'll continue.

Either ignore them ........or give em back as much slavver till they cry
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 6:18 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz

Now THATS what I was trying to say
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 6:25 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
It must be difficult for Aussies to guess what to say and what not to say as the majority of us don't mind

If someone says something you don't like tell them.

If they are genuine they'll stop.

If they are pricks they'll continue.

I have said it before, but I will say it again. I am NOT offended by being called a Pom, but I don't think the Aussies are confused one bit as every bloody one of them I deal with seems to call me Pom
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 6:28 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder if you have a regional accent it makes a big difference to them calling you a pom? Just thinking that I don't have an accent as such, though I do sound English, so I prob don't get picked as being English very often at all, hence my FIL is really the only one to call me a pom. Hmmmmm.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
I wonder if you have a regional accent it makes a big difference to them calling you a pom? Just thinking that I don't have an accent as such, though I do sound English, so I prob don't get picked as being English very often at all, hence my FIL is really the only one to call me a pom. Hmmmmm.

I have been called a POM by only one Aussie, but she thought I was from Scotland
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 6:31 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

having the worst accent in the world will help me then,sounding like barry (auvedezane,jessus thats a hard word)and benny(crossroads).
they will think i am from mars
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 6:33 pm
Account Closed

I have said it before, but I will say it again. I am NOT offended by being called a Pom, but I don't think the Aussies are confused one bit as every bloody one of them I deal with seems to call me Pom
Well, unless you're Scottish or Welsh or Irish...then I guess the Aussies are bluddy well right then. You're a Pom

On a lighter note: Aussies say it as they see it. The one thing I noticed was a "red bellied black snake" is....guess what...It's a black snake with a red belly

And...a brown snake...is..........a brown snake

So....it seems they say it as it is without meaning offence. If they do mean to be sly or offensive, then give as much back. Jeez if anyone can be cutting the Poms can. If they really wanna be that is
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 6:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wendy
I have been called a POM by only one Aussie, but she thought I was from Scotland

Well it just occurred to me that perhaps the more obvious the target, maybe they think we're more 'up for it'? I mean, someone with a broad Cheshire, or Yorkshire accent is going to get called pom because it's obvious to the Australian that they're English. Perhaps even the Australian assumes this 'type' of person can handle it?
If so, the Aussie is making a judgement based on a stereotype, much in the way we do about other cultures.....

Just a rambling hypothesis. Not enough coffee yet to make sense.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 6:34 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Well you know what part of the world I am from... and you are probably bang on. My Mancunian accent is pretty pronounced and identifies me as English instantly... strange thing is when I am in the US they predominately think I am Australian :scared:
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 6:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hevs
Now THATS what I was trying to say
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by aston man
having the worst accent in the world will help me then,sounding like barry (auvedezane,jessus thats a hard word)and benny(crossroads).
they will think i am from mars

Then, as Phoenix says, they're calling it how they see it, because it's screamingly obvious.

Maybe the Australian culture is to put labels on people and things... Why though?
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 6:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wendy
LOL....I got asked if we were Oirish....or from darn sarf in London....

.......and we're from Yorkshire

I said ..sort of....we're Poms
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 6:38 pm
Account Closed

strange thing is when I am in the US they predominately think I am Australian :scared:
Yes, people from the US can't spot my hub as an Australian. They usually ask him if he's from Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.