Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

do you think being called a POM is an insult?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: do you think being called a POM is an insult?
Yes (English)
10.11%
No (English)
66.29%
Yes (Other)
3.37%
No (Other)
22.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

do you think being called a POM is an insult?

Old Dec 2nd 2006, 5:04 pm
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: do you think being called a POM is an insult?

Originally Posted by tableland
Difficult. It probably depends on how it's being said, but then again, most words like this are used a short-cut to giving someone an identity. Like the BPARD guy said, there's no difference between calling an English guy a pom and an Italian guy a wop. It's difficult as the English are supposed to "take it on the chin".

Not sure about this one. Part of me wants to say it's not offensive, and part of me wants to say it's wrong to identify someone by a slur. Because "pom" has pre-conceived connotations that are fairly negative (doesn't wash, drinks warm beer, is stuck-up, won't join in, etc.) calling someone a pom is actually quite dismissive, and like most slurs actually quite dehumanising. It encourages the person using the term to see the other person in a generic way and not as an individual.

But then your average Aussie might just say it because it's so heavily in his culture and doesn't mean anything by it.

I give up.
Good post
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 5:25 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Yes it is a minority, but why? Insecurity is all I can think. Of the minority, this attitude must have been passed down through generations since the year dot. Quite sad.
Agree Ross. Insecurity breeds tosspots the world over.

I look at it this way. The Aussies who have referred to me/my family as Poms are true Aussie mates. They aren't superficial or boastful or pretentious. These are mates who ring to see how we are and who put themselves out for us and vice versa. We care as much about them as they do us. Respect is mutual. Why would they say anything to upset us? In fact I know it would upset them if they thought they'd offended us.

We call them our Aussie mates and they call us their Pommie mates. Cos that's what we are.

And proud of it
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 5:31 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
He's a bit of a tosser then?
I know where you can buy a present for him
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 5:47 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Anybody surprised by the fact that we now have close to 1 in 6 English who ARE offended by being called a Pom? Should we be taking the wankers and tossers, as Vash so eloquently called them on the other Pom thread, who are campaigning against its use any more seriously now?
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossifumi
From another thread:

Two of my son's mates just popped round to see if he was coming out.

I told them he was out and asked how come they weren't watching the cricket.

"Oh, we don't like the Poms" was the reply.

That's 9 year olds for you!

Would you honestly expect 'We don't like the Aussies' from English kids if you were an Aussie parent opening the door to your son's mates?

I can't for the life of me imagine where they get it from.
Queeensland is soooo backward

Don't seem to get that here, everyone wants to be "the POMS" friend, gets a bit tiring to be honest We have BBQ invites at least once a month, my 13 year old son thinks school is fabulous cos they want him to talk all the time

It takes me from 8:30 til 9:30 to get home from school in a morning (20 min walk) cos all the Aussie mums want to talk to me and my mate on the way home!

I think you should take them kids out with your son for a day of fun and say did you have a good time?, when they say yes, say well us POMS know how to have a good time
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy
the only reason i posted this was because i was listening to the radio the other day and one of the DJs claimed
that being called POM was no different from being called a PAKI (sorry not a word i like to use, but had to for this post)
he claimed it was a term of endearment
i have heard some really racist shit on the radio in the last week and really find it hard to listen to.
but again it must be just me.
and i suppose its just the way its said
try listening to luke, rob and renee in the morning
Agreed, the way in which he (Luke) uses the word 'pom' doesn't come across as an endearment.
The context in which he uses the describing word 'pom' appears to be bigoted, prejudice, intolerant and narrow minded.

The word pom is an easy way for Aussie's to lump together a specific group of people; and I don't find that insulting at all as loads of words are streamlined in Australia.

Luke or somebody on the show also made a comment to effect of "well the Aussie's call them selves Aussie's" . Well, yeah, of course they do, its short for Australia! British people in the UK don't usually call themselves Poms for short, it is as far as I know a term that Australian's use more or less exclusively as a replacement for the word English person.

And his comparisons of other names for nationals of countries other than Australia was offensive to me in the extreme ie Paki etc. What a shocker that was. And, I have never actually heard an Australian use the word Paki ever in my whole time here in Oz.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 5:55 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thebears
I know where you can buy a present for him
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 5:58 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
And, I have never actually heard an Australian use the word Paki ever in my whole time here in Oz.
I have, heaps. When the cricket was on, everyday on the radio, tv etc, you would hear "the Pakis are all out for 367 runs" etc. I used to physically cringe
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 6:02 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hevs
I have, heaps. When the cricket was on, everyday on the radio, tv etc, you would hear "the Pakis are all out for 367 runs" etc. I used to physically cringe
Eek! That's SO not good.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 6:03 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
say well us POMS know how to have a good time
I do that all the time When someone asks me if I'd like coffee, i say errm? I'm a pom! What do you reckon? Then i get a cup of tea I also say things like "if you want real chips you should go to England, us poms know how to cook them properly" etc etc. Its banter is all. Sure, you will always get the people who use the term in a derogatory fashion, but you will probably find they are just racist knobs so their opinion doesn't matter anyway
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 6:04 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

I know we stood no chance of meeting that score
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 6:09 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by thebears
I know we stood no chance of meeting that score

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Actually I'm with you on this. That Luke winds me up most mornings, it's not him saying POM that winds me up, it's his whole attitude to anyone not Australian although he never mentions how long his family have been here. He has to be one of the most obnoxious people simply because he doesn't say things because he thinks they're funny but because he actually believes some of the crap he comes out with. The other two are fine but I don't listen to that morning show anymore because of him. Sea FM is better in the morning.
Which station is this?
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Do they? Oh dear.

Obviously not a controversial word here in Oz amongst Aussie's then.
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 6:10 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
Do they? Oh dear.

Obviously not a controversial word here in Oz amongst Aussie's then.
Exactly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.