View Poll Results: Do you smoke? (anonymous poll)
Yes
10.96%
No, I've quit
42.47%
No, never
46.58%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Do You Smoke?

Old Jan 24th 2012, 2:34 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do You Smoke?

Originally Posted by bcworld
Why would you assume that?
I thought it was 'a given' that anyone who goes against accepted anti-smoking doctrine had to be in the pockets of the cig companies. No?
Old Jan 24th 2012, 2:38 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I thought it was 'a given' that anyone who goes against accepted anti-smoking doctrine had to be in the pockets of the cig companies. No?
Not that I'm aware of. Perhaps in your world that's the way you see it.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 2:42 am
Account Closed

Not that I'm aware of. Perhaps in your world that's the way you see it.
..and yet you just did exactly that, finding a link, that claims the author of the first report was paid by tobacco companies.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 2:53 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

..and yet you just did exactly that, finding a link, that claims the author of the first report was paid by tobacco companies.
I didn't say anyone who doesn't find a link with passive smoking is paid by tobacco companies though.

Are you not at all interested in the credentials and background of people who have conducted the research? You only care that you've found a piece of research that supports your predisposed viewpoint? Anyone can do that for any subject.

Personally I find that odd.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 2:57 am
Banned

Ptp113 is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't say anyone who doesn't find a link with passive smoking is paid by tobacco companies though.

Are you not at all interested in the credentials and background of people who have conducted the research? You only care that you've found a piece of research that supports your predisposed viewpoint? Anyone can do that for any subject.

Tossers smoke!
Old Jan 24th 2012, 3:03 am
Account Closed

As soon as I posted the original link I knew, in fact I was 100% certain, that the come back would be "paid for by tobacco". You just confirmed it.

If one of the riskiest thing you do, is walk past a smoker from time to time, then I'd be very surprised.

I don't even know why I'm bothering to discuss it. I don't even smoke.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 3:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ptp113
Tossers smoke!
You must be a 60 a day man then?
Old Jan 24th 2012, 3:15 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Even if you completely discount the health issues not being in the pocket of Big Tobacco is a large motivator for not doing it.

That and being addicted to anything is bad. And the costs. For no benefit (it don't relax you, it doesn't keep you thin, it does nothing a smoker says it does).

I'm not going to go all righteous ex-smoker on yo ass, I understand why people do it and how they justify it.

I was that soldier. 20 years of it.

The "Would you encourage your kids/partner/mother to smoke?" question is one worth pondering. Let's be honest, nobody would and the vast majority of smokers would like to go back to before they started.

To anyone interested and hasn't heard me bang on about it before, I read Allan Carr's "Easy Way To Stop Smoking". It don't preach it just removes the brainwashing.

If you don't want something you can't miss it. No willpower required.

Having said all that the government should make them illegal, stop collecting the tax or STFU with the nannying.

Ex-smoker friend of mine says that tobacco is a rubbish drug - all it does, while you are actually smoking, is stop you from wanting a cigarette.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 3:37 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Ex-smoker friend of mine says that tobacco is a rubbish drug - all it does, while you are actually smoking, is stop you from wanting a cigarette.
Yeh, it's amazingly pointless isn't it?

The only thing you are doing is satisfying the craving.

Given what it costs you might as well do the same thing with something herbal, at least you might get something out of it.

A sleep, a smile, a taste for funky basslines, no taste in clothes ...
Old Jan 24th 2012, 3:43 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh, it's amazingly pointless isn't it?

The only thing you are doing is satisfying the craving.

Given what it costs you might as well do the same thing with something herbal, at least you might get something out of it.

A sleep, a smile, a taste for funky basslines, no taste in clothes ...
And not only that, it now turns out that mushrooms might actually be good for you. Apparently they relieve depression and OCD symptoms. Why we are still selling addictive little heart attack cancer sticks is beyond me.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 3:45 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

That's unfair, there is no way he has achieved that level on a mere 60 a day

You must be a 60 a day man then?
Old Jan 24th 2012, 3:48 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

And not only that, it now turns out that mushrooms might actually be good for you. Apparently they relieve depression and OCD symptoms. Why we are still selling addictive little heart attack cancer sticks is beyond me.
To say nothing of the benefits of cannabis, to some people.

There are, of course, serious risks.

A liking for tie-died t-shirts and suspect hair to name but two.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 3:51 am

To say nothing of the benefits of cannabis, to some people.

There are, of course, serious risks.

A liking for tie-died t-shirts and suspect hair to name but two.
The thing is to give the patient proper support so that he goes down the reggae/ska road and not that of the Grateful Dead.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 4:57 am
Mostly Harmless

The thing is to give the patient proper support so that he goes down the reggae/ska road and not that of the Grateful Dead.
Ah, the Jerry question ... pick Dammers not Garcia.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 5:04 am
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

quit 1996