View Poll Results: Do you smoke? (anonymous poll)
Yes
10.96%
No, I've quit
42.47%
No, never
46.58%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Do You Smoke?

Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:31 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do You Smoke?

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
These studies are great. The Ottawa one was a huge, in depth study of 12 bars over a couple of hours. It's conclusion was..... wait for it....

"It is possible to be exposed to SHS on patios, even under windy conditions"

And therefore, given that SHS has proven negative benefits, it would be wise to avoid it.
If you're going to argue Creature, at least be logical. Your reasoning, is at best, flawed.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:31 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld
http://fsid.org.uk/document.doc?id=97

Over 300 babies still die every year as cot deaths in the UK

That's about 3 times your Aus number isn't it?
It is... but then again the site I found originally said 32 a year for the UK.
In the last two min I've found numbers for Australia that range from 80 to 300+. Looks like you can pick any number you fancy for either country..... none of which means squat in reality.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
And therefore, given that SHS has proven negative benefits, it would be wise to avoid it.
If you're going to argue Creature, at least be logical. Your reasoning, is at best, flawed.
I can come up with countless things that it's "wise to avoid". The level of risk involved is, or at least should be, the driving factor.

How much is my chance of contracting lung cancer increased by, if I sit across an open air bar, from somebody having a cig? Somewhere between zero and infinitesimally small?
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:40 am
Account Closed

Of course it is. It's no different to inhaling any other tiny particle coated in carcinogens which enters the lung but can't ever come out again.

The same goes for inhaling a cloud of diesel exhaust emissions of course. This is when you get into arguments about people's 'rights' to do something. Drive vs smoking etc.
I'm not going to argue the toss about people's 'rights'... I don't even smoke for God's sake. My point is that 'passive smoking' has been hyped up out of all proportion, simply as part of the general anti-smoking propaganda. The supposed 'risks' from passive smoking are massively overplayed.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:41 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

I can come up with countless things that it's "wise to avoid". The level of risk involved is, or at least should be, the driving factor.

How much is my chance of contracting lung cancer increased by, if I sit across an open air bar, from somebody having a cig? Somewhere between zero and infinitesimally small?
Tend to agree. There's a naturally occurring amount of lung cancer in non smokers although as we know its far more common in over 50s smokers. We have to die of something and feverishly searching out ways of protecting ourselves from any possible behaviour/disease links is bordering on neurotic in Western society in my humble opinion.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:44 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

The supposed 'risks' from passive smoking are massively overplayed.
I disagree.

Through no choice of my own I had to spend 6 months researching this.

I was the one in the lab coat chucking human lungs in a blender then boiling them in sodium hydroxide for 2 days. Took a while before I was able to make spag bol again!
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:48 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

This is dependent on several factors.
How often you do it.
Your predisposition to having lung cancer.
How much you inhale.

I like my air as clean as I can get it.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:54 am
Account Closed

I disagree.

Through no choice of my own I had to spend 6 months researching this.

I was the one in the lab coat chucking human lungs in a blender then boiling them in sodium hydroxide for 2 days. Took a while before I was able to make spag bol again!
OK. Then we will have to agree to disagree.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
This is dependent on several factors.
How often you do it.
Your predisposition to having lung cancer.
How much you inhale.

I like my air as clean as I can get it.
I'll take my chances.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sec...SECTIONGROUP=2
Old Jan 24th 2012, 2:10 am
Account Closed

Well if we are going to set off just chucking links at one another....

http://www.bmj.com/content/326/7398/1057.abstract

That's a study of nearly 120,000 people.... not just two blokes in a bar.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 2:26 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Well if we are going to set off just chucking links at one another....

http://www.bmj.com/content/326/7398/1057.abstract

That's a study of nearly 120,000 people.... not just two blokes in a bar.
Enstrom is a controversial figure who has accepted funding from the Philip Morris tobacco company and the Center for Indoor Air Research (a tobacco industry front group), and subsequently published research that contradicted scientific consensus about the health effects of secondhand tobacco smoke, also known as environmental tobacco smoke, or ETS.

Jus' sayin...not sayin it's bad research...jus' sayin.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 2:26 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Even if you completely discount the health issues not being in the pocket of Big Tobacco is a large motivator for not doing it.

That and being addicted to anything is bad. And the costs. For no benefit (it don't relax you, it doesn't keep you thin, it does nothing a smoker says it does).

I'm not going to go all righteous ex-smoker on yo ass, I understand why people do it and how they justify it.

I was that soldier. 20 years of it.

The "Would you encourage your kids/partner/mother to smoke?" question is one worth pondering. Let's be honest, nobody would and the vast majority of smokers would like to go back to before they started.

To anyone interested and hasn't heard me bang on about it before, I read Allan Carr's "Easy Way To Stop Smoking". It don't preach it just removes the brainwashing.

If you don't want something you can't miss it. No willpower required.

Having said all that the government should make them illegal, stop collecting the tax or STFU with the nannying.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 2:30 am
Account Closed

Enstrom is a controversial figure who has accepted funding from the Philip Morris tobacco company and the Center for Indoor Air Research (a tobacco industry front group), and subsequently published research that contradicted scientific consensus about the health effects of secondhand tobacco smoke, also known as environmental tobacco smoke, or ETS.

Jus' sayin...not sayin it's bad research...jus' sayin.
Of course he is.... I assume all these are as well?

http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/90/19/1440.short
Old Jan 24th 2012, 2:32 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Of course he is.... I assume all these are as well?

http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/90/19/1440.short
Why would you assume that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.