View Poll Results: Do you smoke? (anonymous poll)
Yes
10.96%
No, I've quit
42.47%
No, never
46.58%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Do You Smoke?

Old Jan 24th 2012, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do You Smoke?

It'll be 10 years on June 23rd this year that I gave up. Still have those dreams where I have a smoke and get really angry that I did. Then wake up and realise it was a dream and be delighted with myself for not having one.

Speaking of weird dreams, I dreamt last night that I was in parliament house and got up to share my views to Kevin Rudd. In my dream (not dreams) he was still PM. He said he'd be back in five minutes but never came back. Bastard.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:01 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Smoking was harmful to my health. I don't doubt that for one second, but I don't believe that passive smoking, as most people interact with 'it' is. For God's sake, we have people now saying that just walking past people in the street, who are smoking is 'bad for their heath'. It's just rubbish.
The Occupational Health and Safety Act 2000, the Smoke-free Environment Regulation 2007 would disagree with you, doctor.
As would these studies...
1. The health consequences of involuntary exposure to tobacco smoke : a report of the Surgeon General. – (Atlanta, Ga.) : U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Coordinating Center for Health Promotion, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health, (2006) (accessed 25 July 2011)

2. Barnoya J, Glantz SA. Cardiovascular Effects of Secondhand Smoke Nearly as Large as Smoking. Circulation 2005; 111:2684-2698. (accessed 25 July 2011)

3. National Health and Medical Research Council (Australia). The health effects of passive smoking: a scientific information paper. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia, 1997.

4. Office of Health and Environmental Assessment, Office of Research and Development, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Respiratory Health Effects of Passive Smoking: Lung Cancer and Other Disorders. 1992. Washington, D.C. (accessed 25 July 2011)

5. State of California Air Resources Board, California Environmental Protection Agency. Proposed Identification of Environmental Tobacco Smoke as a Toxic Air Contaminant. 2005. Sacramento, State of California Air Resources Board. (accessed 25 July 2011)

6. Tobacco Advisory Group of the Royal College of Physicians. Report on passive smoking and children. 2010. London, Royal College of Physicians. (accessed 25 July 2011)

7. World Health Organization, International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC). IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans - Volume 83. Tobacco Smoke and Involuntary Smoking - Summary of Data Reported and Evaluation. Lyon, 2004. (accessed 27 June 2011).

8. Turner P. Air Monitoring for Cigarette Smoke. Unpublished Report for The Cancer Council NSW, 12 May 2005.

9. Klepeis NE, Ott WR, Switzer P. Real-Time Measurement of Outdoor Tobacco Smoke Particles. Journal or the Air and Waste Management Association 2007; 57:522-534. (accessed 27 June 2011). (PDF Size 372 Kb)

10. Cameron M, Brennan E, Durkin S, Borland R, Travers MJ, Hyland A, Spittal MJ, Wakefield M. Secondhand smoke exposure (PM2.5) in outdoor dining areas and its correlates. Tobacco Control published on-line 21 October 2009. (accessed 27 June 2011).

11. Repace J. Measurements of outdoor air pollution from second-hand smoke on the UMBC campus. (accessed 11 February 2010). (PDF Size 846 Kb)

12. Boffi R, Ruprecht A, Mazza R, Ketzel M, Invernizzi G. A day at the European Respiratory Society Congress: passive smoking influences both outdoor and indoor quality (letter). European Respiratory Journal. 2006;27:862-863. (accessed 27 June 2011).

13. California Environmental Protection Agency Air Resources Board. Proposed Identification of Environmental Tobacco Smoke as a Toxic Air Contaminant. Sacramento, 2005. (accessed 27 June 2011)

14. Repace JL. Banning outdoor smoking is scientifically justifiable. Tobacco Control 2000;9:98 (Spring) - accessed 27 June 2011).

15. Kennedy RD. A study of air quality on patios that permit or restrict smoking in the city of Ottawa. Ottawa Council on Tobacco and Health. 2010 (accessed 27 June 2011).

16. Australian Council on Smoking and Health. Second-hand smoke in cafes, pubs and cars – Full Report. 2010. (accessed 27 June 2011)

17. Kaufman P, Zhang B, Bondy SJ, Klepeis N, Ferrence R. Not just ‘a few wisps’: real-time measurement of tobacco smoke at entrances to office buildings. Tobacco Control 2011;20:212-218 (accessed 27 June 2011).

18. National Heart Foundation. Smoke-free policy in outdoor areas: A 2010 survey of NSW councils. 2010 (accessed 27 June 2011).

Latest figure I found was 32 SIDS deaths a YEAR in the UK and 103 in Australia. Doesn't really stack up does it?
Irrelevant if you don't know whether their parents were smokers or not, surely?

But yeah. You're probably right.

Last edited by TiddlyPom; Jan 24th 2012 at 1:03 am.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:11 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
The Occupational Health and Safety Act 2000, the Smoke-free Environment Regulation 2007 would disagree with you, doctor.
As would these studies...
1. The health consequences of involuntary exposure to tobacco smoke : a report of the Surgeon General. – (Atlanta, Ga.) : U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Coordinating Center for Health Promotion, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health, (2006) (accessed 25 July 2011)

2. Barnoya J, Glantz SA. Cardiovascular Effects of Secondhand Smoke Nearly as Large as Smoking. Circulation 2005; 111:2684-2698. (accessed 25 July 2011)

3. National Health and Medical Research Council (Australia). The health effects of passive smoking: a scientific information paper. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia, 1997.

4. Office of Health and Environmental Assessment, Office of Research and Development, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Respiratory Health Effects of Passive Smoking: Lung Cancer and Other Disorders. 1992. Washington, D.C. (accessed 25 July 2011)

5. State of California Air Resources Board, California Environmental Protection Agency. Proposed Identification of Environmental Tobacco Smoke as a Toxic Air Contaminant. 2005. Sacramento, State of California Air Resources Board. (accessed 25 July 2011)

6. Tobacco Advisory Group of the Royal College of Physicians. Report on passive smoking and children. 2010. London, Royal College of Physicians. (accessed 25 July 2011)

7. World Health Organization, International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC). IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans - Volume 83. Tobacco Smoke and Involuntary Smoking - Summary of Data Reported and Evaluation. Lyon, 2004. (accessed 27 June 2011).

8. Turner P. Air Monitoring for Cigarette Smoke. Unpublished Report for The Cancer Council NSW, 12 May 2005.

9. Klepeis NE, Ott WR, Switzer P. Real-Time Measurement of Outdoor Tobacco Smoke Particles. Journal or the Air and Waste Management Association 2007; 57:522-534. (accessed 27 June 2011). (PDF Size 372 Kb)

10. Cameron M, Brennan E, Durkin S, Borland R, Travers MJ, Hyland A, Spittal MJ, Wakefield M. Secondhand smoke exposure (PM2.5) in outdoor dining areas and its correlates. Tobacco Control published on-line 21 October 2009. (accessed 27 June 2011).

11. Repace J. Measurements of outdoor air pollution from second-hand smoke on the UMBC campus. (accessed 11 February 2010). (PDF Size 846 Kb)

12. Boffi R, Ruprecht A, Mazza R, Ketzel M, Invernizzi G. A day at the European Respiratory Society Congress: passive smoking influences both outdoor and indoor quality (letter). European Respiratory Journal. 2006;27:862-863. (accessed 27 June 2011).

13. California Environmental Protection Agency Air Resources Board. Proposed Identification of Environmental Tobacco Smoke as a Toxic Air Contaminant. Sacramento, 2005. (accessed 27 June 2011)

14. Repace JL. Banning outdoor smoking is scientifically justifiable. Tobacco Control 2000;9:98 (Spring) - accessed 27 June 2011).

15. Kennedy RD. A study of air quality on patios that permit or restrict smoking in the city of Ottawa. Ottawa Council on Tobacco and Health. 2010 (accessed 27 June 2011).

16. Australian Council on Smoking and Health. Second-hand smoke in cafes, pubs and cars – Full Report. 2010. (accessed 27 June 2011)

17. Kaufman P, Zhang B, Bondy SJ, Klepeis N, Ferrence R. Not just ‘a few wisps’: real-time measurement of tobacco smoke at entrances to office buildings. Tobacco Control 2011;20:212-218 (accessed 27 June 2011).

18. National Heart Foundation. Smoke-free policy in outdoor areas: A 2010 survey of NSW councils. 2010 (accessed 27 June 2011).

But yeah. You're probably right.
Quote all the studies you want.

You will NEVER convince me, that walking past a smoker outside an office is bad for my health... and anybody who does think that is, is either deluded or has a vested interest... and probably both.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:14 am

Quote all the studies you want.

You will NEVER convince me, that walking past a smoker outside an office is bad for my health... and anybody who does think that is, is either deluded or has a vested interest... and probably both.
Like I said, you're probably right.
Account Closed

Rates of smoking in UK and Australia are comparable. If smoking is killing that many babies, then logic would dictate that the numbers for the UK, should be roughly three times those of Australia, based on population size.

It's actually a third. No chance that there are other, way, way, way, more important factors in play?
Account Closed

Like I said, you're probably right.
Yes. I usually am.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:20 am
Account Closed

I picked one of the dafter looking studies in that list, number 10. It's ground breaking conclusion was....

"When individuals sit in outdoor dining venues where smokers are present it is possible that they will be exposed to substantial SHS levels"

So sit near a smoker and you might possibly get smoke in your eyes. Earth shattering.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:20 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Rates of smoking in UK and Australia are comparable. If smoking is killing that many babies, then logic would dictate that the numbers for the UK, should be roughly three times those of Australia, based on population size?
http://fsid.org.uk/document.doc?id=97

Over 300 babies still die every year as cot deaths in the UK

That's about 3 times your Aus number isn't it?
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:21 am

I picked one of the dafter looking studies in that list, number 10.

One of the dafter looking ones, so you could prove yourself right? Fabulous.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:22 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Smoking marijuana is apparently "healthier" than smoking cigarettes.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:25 am
Account Closed

These studies are great. The Ottawa one was a huge, in depth study of 12 bars over a couple of hours. It's conclusion was..... wait for it....

"It is possible to be exposed to SHS on patios, even under windy conditions"

Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by commonwealth
Not if you have a predisposition to mental illness.

I guess smoking anything would be healthier than putting cigarette crap into your lungs.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:26 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
The less refined the tobacco product is, genereally the less harmful it is.

Cigarette tobacco is mixed with all manner of crap...many of the compounds added are more harmful than the tobacco leaf itself. This is why 'low tar' cigarettes are a complete waste of space...the tar is replaced with even more harmful compounds...but the marketing makes smokers feel better about it so it's effective on that front.

Marijuana and cigars are generally 'less bad' than packaged fags (sorry I couldn't help it!).
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:27 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

My Mum smoked throughout her pregnancy with me in the late 60's I was born 6 weeks early and am lucky to be here.

I was a passive smoker up until the age of 14 , where I chose to live pretty much in my bedroom instead of being downstairs in the fog all the time. I also spent alot of time in pubs whilst growing up...and then in pubs under my own steam from 15 onwards.....again in a fog.

I beleive that passive smoking is bad, how can it not be?

I will seriously cry if my kids start smoking

Edit: But having said all that I LOVE the smell of a newly lit ciggarette....old associations die hard I expect? :0s

Last edited by Jan4kids; Jan 24th 2012 at 1:30 am.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:31 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by Jan4kids
I beleive that passive smoking is bad, how can it not be?
Of course it is. It's no different to inhaling any other tiny particle coated in carcinogens which enters the lung but can't ever come out again.

The same goes for inhaling a cloud of diesel exhaust emissions of course. This is when you get into arguments about people's 'rights' to do something. Drive vs smoking etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.