Do you have a pool

Old Mar 13th 2014, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have a pool

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Cheers Timber, you're good un'!

I've noticed that. That some rentals are just bloody awful, the kitchens in some of them are just, well, I can't even think of a word to describe them to be honest. I don't actually know how they get away with calling it a kitchen.
That's looking online so just imagine what some of them look like in the flesh!
Old Mar 13th 2014, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad this subject has been resurrected as I have a few points to say:

1) We have an above ground pool with no salt chlorinator - ie there is the possibility that there is not enough chlorine doing it's job.

2) We are in cold Melbourne (people would have you believe it's just like the UK)

We have battled at times with leaves and the water going green. We cut back a tree this year.

We have had a perfect season and now in March - the water is starting to cool - deliciously so - we've had no really hot day since February. As a result: our season will most certainly end in April (ish). In Melbourne with an unheatred pool you will do November -April. Not too shabby. But remember: the best pool is the pool you didn't pay to install.

3)We have a new pump which runs at 100w an hour. In the last 10 years I have been a bit lazy with running our old-school pump which would use 700w an hour - and we had issues with water clarity and it turning green in a 'leafy' environment. By running the new pump it 8hrs a night - now reduced to 6 - we have had blue water all summer. Twice I have been told to increase my Total Alkanility but as the PH was controlled I have not adjusted it (I've been busy): essentially I have added sticks in the skimmer basket and shocked twice. The pool started to go green after the heatwave which I arrested with algaecide and more chlorine. We've found that since we run the pump more often it has solved all our issues.

Conclusion: Filtration is key! Get an energy efficient pump!

If you have a salt-chlorinator pool - then it will be much easier. Just educate yourself with pool chemistry and don't rely on the shops.

If we can do it -so can you
Old Mar 13th 2014, 11:01 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Yeah, handing my notice in will be hard. I'm good mates with my boss

She says I'm irreplaceable, I said to her, well my wage doesn't reflect that!

Luckily she has a sense of humour.
I wasn't treated very well by my boss once I'd handed in my notice. After > 10 years service over two spellls, it left a bitter taste - which is a shame but it did make it easier to leave with no regrets.

...Make sure you pack your container full of all the stuff that you don't know yet that you''ll wish you'd brought
Old Mar 13th 2014, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Often thought about it but we have a spa & use that nearly every night instead. Much easier to keep clean topped up & heated all year.
If I want to swim or chill in cold water there's the river at the end of the street with some nice rocks that you can lay back in with a stubby while the kids play.
Sir - we have decided to replace the above ground with a plunge pool -given that we have solar and that filtering the **** out of a plunge pool will be easy.

Cheers

PS we have not ruled out a spa
Old Mar 13th 2014, 11:24 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

We've got a pool and my husband and the kids are in it every day.
The outside entertaining area overlooks it and I love that.

We are renting though, and maintenance is included. I have friends with green pools because they do the maintenance themselves.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kapri
We've got a pool and my husband and the kids are in it every day.
The outside entertaining area overlooks it and I love that.

We are renting though, and maintenance is included. I have friends with green pools because they do the maintenance themselves.
I can guarantee they either don't understand pool chemistry or am not running their pump enough - (said the voice of 10 years of experience!)
Old Mar 13th 2014, 12:17 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

We have a very old fibreglass, saltwater pool

Love it and will always have a pool out of choice

I do the maintenance and it is always crystal clear over the summer - in the winter I let it go green

Running a saltwater pool is inexpensive if you keep on top of it - I spend an hour a week, tops, on hours

Modern pump systems are efficient and cheap to run

Buy your chemicals and salt from Bunnings or BigW. My local Bunnings has a water testing station that works well. Avoid pool shops as they can be very expensive

Coming home after work, I get some swimming shorts on, grab a couple of beers and jump in. I float around chugging beer, let the full ones sink to the bottom and grab them when needed. Superb. Spend plenty of time on the weekend in there with my son

Love it

Get one
Old Mar 13th 2014, 12:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
We have a very old fibreglass, saltwater pool

Love it and will always have a pool out of choice

I do the maintenance and it is always crystal clear over the summer - in the winter I let it go green

Running a saltwater pool is inexpensive if you keep on top of it - I spend an hour a week, tops, on hours

Modern pump systems are efficient and cheap to run

Buy your chemicals and salt from Bunnings or BigW. My local Bunnings has a water testing station that works well. Avoid pool shops as they can be very expensive

Coming home after work, I get some swimming shorts on, grab a couple of beers and jump in. I float around chugging beer, let the full ones sink to the bottom and grab them when needed. Superb. Spend plenty of time on the weekend in there with my son

Love it

Get one
I've always said that the maintenance has to be little and often. Apart from failing to filter enough, past failures for us have been equipment failures. For me - it's keeping that pump running.

Infact I now expect to keep it blue over winter - it's colder - and providing you filter over winter - it is less likely to go green.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimbersBack

Youtube won't let me see it for some reason.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curly
That's looking online so just imagine what some of them look like in the flesh!

yeah I have a rough idea.

Well, I'll soon be looking round them I expect, I really hope we manage to get something decent.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paulry
I wasn't treated very well by my boss once I'd handed in my notice. After > 10 years service over two spellls, it left a bitter taste - which is a shame but it did make it easier to leave with no regrets.

...Make sure you pack your container full of all the stuff that you don't know yet that you''ll wish you'd brought

That's totally out of order for your boss to treat you like that. I mean what is the point in being like that? I just don't get how some people tick. It must be so tiring to be full of bitterness.

Anyway onwards and upwards eh?

Pack a container? We actually weren't even going to bother with one, all I'm taking is a shed load of art work and a few bikes in a Movecube

And I now believe you can't even hang paintings up in rentals over there is this true?
Old Mar 13th 2014, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks everyone for all your input and information regarding pools, it's great to know all that stuff. much appreciated!

I haven't yet learnt how to multi quote I will get round to it at some point.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

TimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of light

You cannot hang pictures.

You just use these http://www.command.com/wps/portal/3M...4774739&rt=rud
Old Mar 13th 2014, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

It is true you can't put nails in the walls in rentals. Some do have places where you can hang things, but you have to either negotiate with the landlord, or use "command strips" which are supposed not to mark the walls. I didn't trust them with anything heavy though.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TimbersBack
You cannot hang pictures.

You just use these http://www.command.com/wps/portal/3M...4774739&rt=rud

What a good idea. But like Caroline said, they don't hold much weight.

Well it actually says 3lb per strip. So I wonder if that will mean use two and it holds 6lb in weight?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.