Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do you hate shopping for shoes?

Do you hate shopping for shoes?

Old Aug 14th 2013, 8:22 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do you hate shopping for shoes?

I have now spent two days trying to find a pair of plain, black, mid-heel, comfortable leather shoes for everyday wear.

It seems this is a big ask. It is made trickier by the fact that I have wide feet with one foot half a size bigger than the other and I refuse to buy shoes that have either slippery plastic heels or a thick rubber platform.

Honestly, I'm sure shoes didn't used to be such plastic crap. (Yes, I've got my grumpy old bat hat on. )
Old Aug 14th 2013, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you hate shopping for shoes?

I love shoes, but finding ones that fit is nigh on impossible -I have wide flat feet with bunions, and a very narrow shallow heel. If I get shoes wide enough for the front part of my foot they fall off the heel, and if the fit the heel they are almost unbearably painful. I cannot wear court shoes or flats and thus have to have unflattering lace ups or t-bar sandals. I was the one person that the Athlete's foot couldn't fit -they even tried jamming me into men's trainers and then told me I was making it up when I said they were uncomfortable!!

My daughter has just developed a shoe fetish- her latest purchase is a pair of black velvet platforms with 5 inch spiked heels. They look danged good on her and I'm jealous!!!
Old Aug 14th 2013, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

I always head for Harbourtown (outlet shopping mall GC) as I can visit about 20 shoe shops within a small area in a very short time. And never pay full price

Ou, parlez-vous francais?
http://www.laredoute.fr/achat-chauss...3%2C1000000538

Last edited by lesleys; Aug 14th 2013 at 11:29 am. Reason: added link for black, leather, wide/sensible shoes
Old Aug 14th 2013, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

J'aime les chausseurs.

Mais - my feet are so awkward that I have to try a shoe on to see if it fits- most don't.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 2:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Try James Taylor and sons.... They keep your lasts and can pretty much come up with most requests... A very sound investment IMHO
Old Aug 14th 2013, 10:53 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007 View Post
Try James Taylor and sons.... They keep your lasts and can pretty much come up with most requests... A very sound investment IMHO
I just had a quick look online and on a glance it seems they have shoes starting at just under $1500.

Sadly, not practical for me - but a nice suggestion, thanks.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 1:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Do not judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes...
because then you will be a mile away and you will have his shoes...

I think men's shoes are a monstrosity: wedge-shaped, square-toed, pointy toed...rubber soles. My father and grandfather swore by the Northhampton shoe industry. Loake (cheaper end) etc.

I spend several hundred dollars on a pair and they last me the best part of a decade if worn 5 days a week. and I have others which are 20 years old and are as good as new - (because they get little use!). A current pair do have a rubber sole (I was persuaded) and they have lasted 4 years - no sign of appreciable wear but they can be replaced so it was a good choice.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack View Post
Do not judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes...
because then you will be a mile away and you will have his shoes...

I think men's shoes are a monstrosity: wedge-shaped, square-toed, pointy toed...rubber soles. My father and grandfather swore by the Northhampton shoe industry. Loake (cheaper end) etc.

I spend several hundred dollars on a pair and they last me the best part of a decade if worn 5 days a week. and I have others which are 20 years old and are as good as new - (because they get little use!). A current pair do have a rubber sole (I was persuaded) and they have lasted 4 years - no sign of appreciable wear but they can be replaced so it was a good choice.
I have two pairs made for me in the 80s... classic, ladies black leather mid heel, button cross strap and one pair slim looking black flats with hand stitched laces... Even post pregnancies (when your feet broaden) they are like gloves...both need resoling, and I don't know a trustworthy place here and cant really afford the pennies to send them home....

OMFG that makes me feel old.

If I ever had silly money again I would invest in another couple of pairs.. They really can last a lifetime.... I've known plenty of people dead younger than my shoes are now....
Old Aug 15th 2013, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

My day to day shoes are a few pairs of Dunlop Volleys with the tongues cut out and laces discarded. Every couple of weeks soak them in Napisan overnight and dry in the sun. For walking it's Dunlop kt's - I've never been without a pair since 1979, and for all other purposes just plain leather shoes from Rivers. Rivers stuff is uber comfortable.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by brissybee View Post
I have now spent two days trying to find a pair of plain, black, mid-heel, comfortable leather shoes for everyday wear.

It seems this is a big ask. It is made trickier by the fact that I have wide feet with one foot half a size bigger than the other and I refuse to buy shoes that have either slippery plastic heels or a thick rubber platform.

Honestly, I'm sure shoes didn't used to be such plastic crap. (Yes, I've got my grumpy old bat hat on. )
There is nothing worse than having shoes that don't fit properly, I'm a half size as well and the trouble I have finding shoes in a 8 1/2 out here is unbelievable, they are never in stock.... I either buy the 8 and get blisters or the 9 and they flap around.... I can't order online as I have to try them on so I feel your pain, no suggestions just empathy.....
Old Aug 15th 2013, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macy View Post
I can't order online as I have to try them on so I feel your pain, no suggestions just empathy.....
I used to think that, but with free delivery and returns you just order 2 pairs in different sizes and return one or both.

http://www.styletread.com.au/return-policy

Same with Asos.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

One of the Brazilian mums imports from brazil and has started a website to market in Australia - will get the link during the week.

But she started because:
- the variety in Australia was poor
- the cost from Europe was high when most of the shoes were manufactured in Brazil in the first place
- she loves shoes and imported initially for her own use.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 2:29 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

I hate shopping for shoes . . . online!!!

Damn i regret buying shoes online, they don't fit very well, and it's expensive to ask for an exchange.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

It truly amazes me that in this day and age AKA 2013 we can't find shoes that fit and are comfortable (and the right colour).

I have found mine (work shoes) and buy 2 pairs at a time.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 9:26 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
It truly amazes me that in this day and age AKA 2013 we can't find shoes that fit and are comfortable (and the right colour).

I have found mine (work shoes) and buy 2 pairs at a time.
you look so good in red patent leather too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.