Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do you give blood, if so why?

Wikiposts

Do you give blood, if so why?

Old Jun 16th 2006, 12:50 am
Shopaholic

bradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to all
Default Do you give blood, if so why?

I have never given blood, mainly because my veins are not very generous and I hate needles, however after I had a c section recently I had to have a blood transfusion.

It made me realise how stupid my reasons for not giving blood were, and I felt very selfish.

My hubby regularly gives blood, and I planned on doing it in the future however when hubby's invite came last week to go and give blood again, it had a list of reasons why a person cannot give blood, and one of them was if you had received a blood transfusion.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 12:51 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Do you give blood, if so why?

Absolutely, it saves lives , my veins aren't great either, but the people are so experienced its never a problem
Old Jun 16th 2006, 12:55 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

yep, i do too, in fact just got my 25 silver thingy off them!!!

i do it because i can, and it can save lives. it feels great when you've given it knowing that you could have made a difference in somebody's life!

am also on the bone marrow list (both the anthony nolan and national blood)

a bit disappointed i cant carry on doing it in australia.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep - anyone who wants to give a pint or 2 needs to do it before they go to Oz.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 12:59 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by marco121068
Yep - anyone who wants to give a pint or 2 needs to do it before they go to Oz.
Yeah we are banned over here. Good ol mad cow.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 1:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Yeah we are banned over here. Good ol mad cow.
You can always hand over an organ or two though Bordy
Old Jun 16th 2006, 1:14 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You can always hand over an organ or two though Bordy
It also got rejected, to small.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 1:16 am
Shopaholic

bradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to all

It also got rejected, to small.
PMSL!
Old Jun 16th 2006, 1:17 am
The Godfather

Originally Posted by bradders
PMSL!
My liver I'm talking about.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 1:19 am
Shopaholic

My liver I'm talking about.
Yeah Yeah, don't be too embarrassed now will ya!!
Didn't your mum ever tell you size doesn't matter?
Old Jun 16th 2006, 1:21 am
The Godfather

Yeah Yeah, don't be too embarrassed now will ya!!
Didn't your mum ever tell you size doesn't matter?
No but wife tells me all the time.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 1:30 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

I have never given blood, mainly because my veins are not very generous and I hate needles, however after I had a c section recently I had to have a blood transfusion.

It made me realise how stupid my reasons for not giving blood were, and I felt very selfish.

My hubby regularly gives blood, and I planned on doing it in the future however when hubby's invite came last week to go and give blood again, it had a list of reasons why a person cannot give blood, and one of them was if you had received a blood transfusion.
I can't give blood because I spent longer than six months in the UK in the 80s. Theya re concerned about mad cow disease. I wish they could test for it as I'd like to be able to give blood to help others.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 2:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
I can't give blood because I spent longer than six months in the UK in the 80s. Theya re concerned about mad cow disease. I wish they could test for it as I'd like to be able to give blood to help others.
They do test for it......on autopsy. (Not all bodies thou)
Old Jun 16th 2006, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

WHAT!? you mean I cannot give my fabulous o neg ("universal") blood away 'cos of CJD in the UK? All I can say is "what is brown and comes steaming out of Cowes..."
Old Jun 16th 2006, 4:45 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kiwi_child

All tonsil and adenoid tissue will soon be sent for testing in Scotland , to try to gain better evidence and statistics of the disease

Last edited by Margaret2; Jun 16th 2006 at 4:48 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.