Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do you find people 'flakey' here?

Do you find people 'flakey' here?

Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:19 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you find people 'flakey' here?

Originally Posted by northernbird
It could be that they have just found new friends closer to where they are, they might not have 'dropped' you as such. I am sure it isn't that they don't like you either just that they have got caught up with their new lives. Only assumptions as I obviously don't know the people concerned.
Possibly ...

Anyway, not overly concerned... I know who my real friends are

It was just an example really.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: WAS, stourbridge w.mids NOW Waikiki, W.A.Hear almost 3 yrs.and still loving it.
ROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ub40fan
There's food for thought (not for you for me) cos I don't have many friends either

Still, I couldn't give a monkeys what anyone has or doesn't have, where they live or don't, what they drive or how big or new this or that is.

If they are nice to me I will be nice to them, they don't have to be my best friend and I don't want to live in anyones pocket or vice versa, but it would be nice to be able to go out for a coffee once in a while with a like minded person.

HEAR HEAR!!
"matie"

claire
x
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Do you find people 'flakey' here?

Have read this post with interest.
Has `flakey` changed its meaning? I thought `flakey`meant someone slightly but- ever -so- nicely loopy.You are all using it in a different way.
Pls explain and I may send you all the secret to making true,lasting friendships!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

caron n chris is a name known to allcaron n chris is a name known to allcaron n chris is a name known to allcaron n chris is a name known to allcaron n chris is a name known to allcaron n chris is a name known to allcaron n chris is a name known to allcaron n chris is a name known to allcaron n chris is a name known to allcaron n chris is a name known to allcaron n chris is a name known to all

Originally Posted by julesandco
I wondered if any of you had similar experiences?

Since we've been here, we've made a huge effort to make friends and settle. However *most* of the expats we've befriended (or tried to befriend) have been really flakey - by this I mean they say they'll turn up for something, then ten minutes before it's due to start they phone with a feeble excuse to cancel.

People seemed more concerned with 'what they've got' than they were in the UK. We know a family who were building two houses, one to live in whilst they built their 'proper' home and whenever you asked them how the house was coming along, they'd ask 'big house or little house?'. I just wanted to slap them!

Do you think it's the Brits that are overly concerned with what everyone's got - how big it is and how much it cost? The Aussies we've met don't seem to give a rats a*se!

Sorry - bit of a rant tonight. I'm just sick of people's attitudes at the moment. Everyone seems to be prepared to take but no-one wants to give!

Jules x

(P.S. In no way, shape or form does any of the above relate to the lovely lot who came to our last BBQ Honest )

YES VERY MUCH so, a great post can I say.

We have made some very good TRUE friends here but I have to say it is hard going with others, (and yes some from this site ) it's like pulling teeth. We have , in the past, made Big efforts with newies and they use you and spit you out when something better comes along

Didn't think we were that strange
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:46 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caron n chris
YES VERY MUCH so, a great post can I say.

We have made some very good TRUE friends here but I have to say it is hard going with others, (and yes some from this site ) it's like pulling teeth. We have , in the past, made Big efforts with newies and they use you and spit you out when something better comes along

Didn't think we were that strange
It would be the same anywhere in the world including back in the UK. People aren't always going to get along and along the way you will find people you don't like and who don't like you, nature of the world isn't it.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

maybe that is why I don't have too many mates then cos I don't have nowt!
If that's all they value........ ie how much you have (or haven't got)......... then you are much better off without them?
Old Sep 12th 2007, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

caron n chris is a name known to allcaron n chris is a name known to allcaron n chris is a name known to allcaron n chris is a name known to allcaron n chris is a name known to allcaron n chris is a name known to allcaron n chris is a name known to allcaron n chris is a name known to allcaron n chris is a name known to allcaron n chris is a name known to allcaron n chris is a name known to all

It would be the same anywhere in the world including back in the UK. People aren't always going to get along and along the way you will find people you don't like and who don't like you, nature of the world isn't it.
I know everyone doesnt get along, but there is such a thing as being polite, we make efforts to welcome new poeple, show them around, invite them to do's, invite them to BBQs, coffee, you name it. THEN ZILCH

Really beginning to wonder why we bother
Old Sep 12th 2007, 4:03 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caron n chris
I know everyone doesnt get along, but there is such a thing as being polite, we make efforts to welcome new poeple, show them around, invite them to do's, invite them to BBQs, coffee, you name it. THEN ZILCH

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/sp...smiley-004.gif

Really beginning to wonder why we bother
I agree it isn't nice for you when you have gone to all that effort.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 4:06 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Wilgar
Have read this post with interest.
Has `flakey` changed its meaning? I thought `flakey`meant someone slightly but- ever -so- nicely loopy.You are all using it in a different way.
Pls explain and I may send you all the secret to making true,lasting friendships!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
flakey as in not solid, unreliable i guess
Old Sep 12th 2007, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

If you want someone to meet up with then i will come along! I would love to be invited out!
Old Sep 12th 2007, 4:18 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
flakey as in not solid, unreliable i guess
Ooh Thanks for that.
I thought Jules meant she'd met people with leprosy or something (or maybe just eczema )
Old Sep 12th 2007, 4:29 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

I`ve made a few good friends through this forum - some of whom are in Perth and who I don`t see very often because I don`t drive and they work, but we still enjoy the old phone conversations. My trouble is that Im not really bothered about going out there (and my riends do nag me to make more effort)- I know I should really, but I just feel if Im meant to make friends they will come along-and indeed they have. I would far rather have a few good friends whose company I enjoy, than a wide group of aquaintences, that I feel I can`t be myself with(In my old age, I`ll be the scarey old woman woman living at the end of your street with a house full of cats and smelling of pee). Back in the UK I made most of my friends through work - here I don`t work, so I make sure I say hello to people when walking the dog and as they say out of small acorns large oak trees grow. As in the words of the Frankie Miller song "I`ve lost the friends that needed losing and made others on the way" - the migration process is good for reassessing relationships and friendships and I dropped a once good friend who I felt was wanting me there for her but not the other way round.
I had a very sobering thought a few weeks after we arrived here - I suddenly wondered who would come to my funeral if I dropped dead the next day and the answer on reflection was, only those who mattered.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 4:43 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Since we've been here, we've made a huge effort to make friends and settle. However *most* of the expats we've befriended (or tried to befriend) have been really flakey - by this I mean they say they'll turn up for something, then ten minutes before it's due to start they phone with a feeble excuse to cancel.

People seemed more concerned with 'what they've got' than they were in the UK. We know a family who were building two houses, one to live in whilst they built their 'proper' home and whenever you asked them how the house was coming along, they'd ask 'big house or little house?'. I just wanted to slap them!

Do you think it's the Brits that are overly concerned with what everyone's got - how big it is and how much it cost? The Aussies we've met don't seem to give a rats a*se!

Sorry - bit of a rant tonight. I'm just sick of people's attitudes at the moment. Everyone seems to be prepared to take but no-one wants to give!

Jules x

(P.S. In no way, shape or form does any of the above relate to the lovely lot who came to our last BBQ Honest )
I wouldn't want to be friends with people like that anyway. I agree that the Aussies arn't bothered about who has the biggest and best this 'n' that!!

I am quite the opposite, i am always putting myself down, i just hate braggers.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 7:52 am
Just Joined

nicopa is an unknown quantity at this point

Jules x

A lot of Brits come here from poor depressed parts of the UK and so they act like pools winners because of the contrast.
Ignore them and stick with real people.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 8:32 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bobcat
If that's all they value........ ie how much you have (or haven't got)......... then you are much better off without them?
I agree with this!

I don't bother with those that worried about what i've got...

then there were the ones who thought i should have loads of friends and they were going to be it! shame they didnt ask first especially as they all belong to the 'i've got this gang' (funny that!)
Found out that the people i class as friends i found myself!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.