Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do you find Australia boring/dull?

Do you find Australia boring/dull?

Old Feb 6th 2010, 3:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you find Australia boring/dull?

Originally Posted by UncleKev
Australia boring ??????????????

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1225827352758

Flood joy riders leave emergency workers fuming

EMERGENCY service workers are fuming after a jet ski and a speedboat careered through flooded streets in the southwest Queensland town of Roma.

Emergency Management Queensland's area director Scott Walsh says the jet ski and speedboat created havoc for flood prevention and management plans and police had to be called in to stop the joy riding.

The town of 7000, 475km northwest of Brisbane, is on flood alert with Bungil Creek, which runs through the town, peaking at seven metres yesterday, although it is now receding.

"I thought I had seen it all, but as always you're pleasantly surprised by the lack of intelligence of some people," Mr Walsh told AAP.

"In a public area that backs onto houses, a couple of individuals took it upon themselves to get their recreational vehicles out and give them a test run in the middle of town.

"We had to get police assistance to stop the person in the speedboat putting bow waves into properties.
Can't believe their stupidity - flood waters rising, houses sandbagged, SES working flat out. One of the eternal problems somewhere like that is the waves that speeding cars send eddying towards houses- often causing inundation where smooth water wouldn't enter. And then you get some pillock in a speedboat........ :curse:
I have to say though that I'm quite imprressed with Scott's restraint when talking to the media about it!
Old Feb 6th 2010, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Boring/dull? - absobloodylutely.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 9:19 pm
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Sorry, only boring people would get bored in Australia.

maybe you should move to Afghanistan or the projects of LA?
So if you like football, museums, galleries, country walks, history and culture you'll find all of the above in equal measure/quality in Australia, will you?

Idiot.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 9:42 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mono
So if you like football, museums, galleries, country walks, history and culture you'll find all of the above in equal measure/quality in Australia, will you?

Idiot.
Why does it matter to you??? You are a troublemaker, trying to stir up shit.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 9:46 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Idiot.
Why can't you take country walks in OZ? theres plenty of great scenic country walking trails all over OZ just as good as any in the UK. for example
http://www.auswalk.com.au/images/Bro...ast%20Walk.pdf

Last edited by mohogony; Feb 6th 2010 at 9:54 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

West Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to all

Uncle Kev:

What part of the UK are you comparing Australia to? I lived in Norwich, Reading, Leeds, Bradford, Edinburgh, St Ives, Barking, Lewisham. They are all different. I found that people in Edinburgh were much more friendly than people in Norwich. In Barking a lot of the people were very unfriendly. My wife and myself feared for our lives at times after coming home to Barking station after attending the theatre in the West End. In St Ives, some of the local Cornish people seemed to hate outsiders. Maybe you are missing people like this .......
I'm actually comparing Australians to the Irish. Having said that I did live in Plymouth for a while and visited Cornwall. I thought it was a beautiful part of the world and the locals there were very friendly to me indeed, but then again they consider me a "celt" and thus one of them I suppose.

No I miss people with the ability to make decent and interesting conversation. And what do I see on the front page of the Sunday Age Melbourne magazine this morning?? An article entitled "Flat chat, why small talk is so hard, and how to get better at it".

Obviously my aussie husband is not one of the many Australians I find as dull as ditch water or we'd never have gotten this far.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Idiot.
From Bristol to Melbourne yes - well apart from football, of course.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 10:23 pm
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
NO.

I don't try and tell people that the UK has everything Australia does (surf, sand, beaches, sun).

Why do those who love Australia try and insist to those that prefer the UK that they shouldn't because Australia has everything the UK does.

Which it plainly doesn't.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 10:25 pm
Banned

So I can't have an opinion or respond to someone rudely telling me to go to Afghanistan now, less it might upset you, Northernbird?

Now who's being arrogant?
Old Feb 6th 2010, 10:26 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

NO.

I don't try and tell people that the UK has everything Australia does (surf, sand, beaches, sun).

Why do those who love Australia try and insist to those that prefer the UK that they shouldn't because Australia has everything the UK does.

Which it plainly doesn't.
It doesn't, it isn't the same country for crying out loud. Most sensible people realise that. Everyones expectations and likes and dislikes are different. There are things I hate about the UK that others will like, things about Australia I like others won't and vice versa. Only the blinkered will see things in black and white.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by West Vic
Uncle Kev:

I'm actually comparing Australians to the Irish. Having said that I did live in Plymouth for a while and visited Cornwall. I thought it was a beautiful part of the world and the locals there were very friendly to me indeed, but then again they consider me a "celt" and thus one of them I suppose.

No I miss people with the ability to make decent and interesting conversation. And what do I see on the front page of the Sunday Age Melbourne magazine this morning?? An article entitled "Flat chat, why small talk is so hard, and how to get better at it".

Obviously my aussie husband is not one of the many Australians I find as dull as ditch water or we'd never have gotten this far.
I find the Dandenongs completely different to what you describe - the people are extremely friendly and engage in conversation readily. But that's just my neck of the woods - 20 mins down the road and it could be the opposite.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 10:36 pm
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

It doesn't, it isn't the same country for crying out loud. Most sensible people realise that. Everyones expectations and likes and dislikes are different. There are things I hate about the UK that others will like, things about Australia I like others won't and vice versa. Only the blinkered will see things in black and white.
I agree, some will find the UK crap some will find Australia crap...it what floats YOUR boat, 2 great Countries to be honest and I could happily live in either.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 10:42 pm
ABCDiamond

Why do those who love Australia try and insist to those that prefer the UK that they shouldn't because Australia has everything the UK does..
Most people don't do that, and some people complain when they get told that if they prefer the UK why not live there ? A bit different to being told to like it here ?

Who has said that Australia has everything that the UK has ? They must have been pulling your leg, because no-one would think that.

People that live Australia rarely actually say that everyone SHOULD love it. most of them understand that people are different, and want different things and accept that.

However, when some people just say how bad Australia is, and can't understand how anyone can like it, they will get comments that disagree with such a one sided view.

The people that have that one sided view (a mono view) should try to accept that many people actually like things that they don't.

Why do those that dislike Australia try and insist to those that do like Australia, that they shouldn't because it doesn't have all the good things that the UK has.

And of course the UK has good things, but quite often different good things to the good things in Australia, although sometimes the same good things. It varies, it's a different country.

But you are right to remind people that Australia is different to the UK. But not necessarily worse, or better, just different.

Old Feb 6th 2010, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Sorry, only boring people would get bored in Australia.

Dull, boring, predictable response.

I bet you thought you were the first person ever to think of the "only boring people get bored in Australia" response..... despite the fact its rolled out in every thread where somebody says they find Australia boring.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 10:48 pm
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Dull, boring, predictable response.

I bet you thought you were the first person ever to think of the "only boring people get bored in Australia" response..... despite the fact its rolled out in every thread where somebody says they find Australia boring.
I agree...I got bored in perth and I am not a boring person...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.