Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do you find Australia boring/dull?

Do you find Australia boring/dull?

Old Feb 6th 2010, 9:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you find Australia boring/dull?

No I don't.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 10:04 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I feel that I have had plenty of entertainment recently
I know you have was thinking that as I quoted you
Old Feb 6th 2010, 10:28 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

No I doot find it boring. When I lived in the UK I didnt find Covent Garden, Oxford Street etc boring as such but I was tired of it and it did not float my boat.

Perth suits me, I do not need to fill each weekend with an activity. I am not motivated nor excited by designer clothes shops. Although I like an old English pub, I have never had a local pub and dont care much for pub culture.

I grew up in historical city that has a Roman town built under it - Verulamium and was positively smothered in history so do not crave the history fix, I can get that from research. Where i am now I have personal effects older than the suburb I live in but I have no hang ups about that.

I have 'done' the museums and the only thing 'rolling' green hills do is make me crave for the opposite.

Robins and starlings are wonderful, but wagtails and parrots excite me more. Where I lived in the UK, I couldnt cycle because in my area there wasnt anywhere decent to go.

Here I can cycle to the beach, to the lakes and regional parks and I can do so without fear. Where I lived before we had trouble with the travellers - I couldnt have left my dog in the garden as they would have stolen her like they did with others down my street.

I never at any point fancied going camping in the UK, but here I have started to go and I enjoy it and I am spoiled with the choices of bush camping, by the ocean or driving a few hours either way and finding myself in what seems a million miles away from anywhere. I love being woken up in my tent by the sound of the kookaburras or the red tailed black cockatoos we saw in Dwellingup the other week which I might add is such a short drive away from where I live, but is remote enough to really get away from it all.

Bored? no, I enjoy my life here but it depends on what some people like. Some people like shopping, pub culture, museums and those green fields.

That is up to them, I am happy and that is up to me, if I wasnt then I have the capacity to do something about it and change it.

What one person likes, I have no desire for - we are all different and we all have choices and we all have the ability to open our eyes to what is around us and appreciate it - or not.

Last edited by Cheetah7; Feb 6th 2010 at 11:44 am.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
... That is up to them, I am happy and that is up to me, if I wasnt then I have the capacity to do something about it and change it. ...
That's really important, to have the means to escape if you wanted to. You might never need the escape hatch, but I think you need to have one.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 11:17 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mono
I do.

Do you?

By the way, do try and think of something more intelligent than ''piss off back to the UK then''. You know who you are.
Well you have had 20 replys with ,not one in your favour..that says some thing about the crap you post, do your self a favour ....you know the rest..mm
Old Feb 6th 2010, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

UncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud of

100 Things To Do In Australia Before You Die

The 100 Things To Do In Australia Before You Die. It’s a big country out there. But with so many ways to experience it all – and only one lifetime – where on Earth do you start? That’s where we come in . . .

http://www.australiantraveller.com/h...nces/2804-1405

So I guess the original poster has done all these things then and still feeling jaded ???

Anyone who finds Australia boring and dull is probably just a boring dull person leading a boring dull life.

If you want bright lights, clubs, throbbing cosmopolitan night life, world class restaurants, do what I do and visit Paris, New York, London on a regular basis.

If you want to have adventure, activity and excitement come to Australia.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 11:38 am
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mr mover
Well you have had 20 replys with ,not one in your favour..that says some thing about the crap you post, do your self a favour ....you know the rest..mm
Hey I voted yes maybe this thread should be put in the "back to the UK forum" then you would get the opposite.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 11:42 am
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by UncleKev
100 Things To Do In Australia Before You Die

The 100 Things To Do In Australia Before You Die. It’s a big country out there. But with so many ways to experience it all – and only one lifetime – where on Earth do you start? That’s where we come in . . .

http://www.australiantraveller.com/h...nces/2804-1405

So I guess the original poster has done all these things then and still feeling jaded ???

Anyone who finds Australia boring and dull is probably just a boring dull person leading a boring dull life.

If you want bright lights, clubs, throbbing cosmopolitan night life, world class restaurants, do what I do and visit Paris, New York, London on a regular basis.

If you want to have adventure, activity and excitement come to Australia.
Hey I have only listed Perth because I have never really worked or lived anywhere else in Oz...Melbourne next though
And I am not boring I am buzzin and want to enjoy my self while I still can...for me Perth was boring but as someone has said "what suits one will not suit the next person"
Old Feb 6th 2010, 11:43 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neil52
Hey I voted yes maybe this thread should be put in the "back to the UK forum" then you would get the opposite.
ah yes, but then it probably wouldn't have the desired effect it was intended for with that audience, would it
Old Feb 6th 2010, 12:29 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Do you find Australia boring/dull?

I do.

Do you?
Yes I do and so does everyone I know. Is that what you wanted to hear?

By the way, do try and think of something more intelligent than ''piss off back to the UK then''. You know who you are.
How about "Don't dream it, do it!"?
Old Feb 6th 2010, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Where we live and what we've done over the past four years, has been fan-bloody-tastic - couldn't be further from boring
Old Feb 6th 2010, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

West Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to all

I find most Australians I meet are boring. And i'm far from a boring person myself, I must say. Getting a bit of "craic" out of them is like pulling teeth.

Even today at K Mart when I returned something I had a great chat with the lady behind the counter. We were having great banter, talking about how quickly life goes by as you get older, and how it's all down hill after 21. Just silly, pass the time stuff. But the thing is that's not the norm here, whereas at home that's completely normal. I do find them very reserved and not really up for, or capable of, a debate. Find it so hard to get them passionate about something.

But sure we can't all be blessed with the gift of the gab I suppose!
Old Feb 6th 2010, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

UncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by West Vic
I find most Australians I meet are boring. And i'm far from a boring person myself, I must say. Getting a bit of "craic" out of them is like pulling teeth.

Even today at K Mart when I returned something I had a great chat with the lady behind the counter. We were having great banter, talking about how quickly life goes by as you get older, and how it's all down hill after 21. Just silly, pass the time stuff. But the thing is that's not the norm here, whereas at home that's completely normal. I do find them very reserved and not really up for, or capable of, a debate. Find it so hard to get them passionate about something.

But sure we can't all be blessed with the gift of the gab I suppose!
What part of the UK are you comparing Australia to? I lived in Norwich, Reading, Leeds, Bradford, Edinburgh, St Ives, Barking, Lewisham. They are all different. I found that people in Edinburgh were much more friendly than people in Norwich. In Barking a lot of the people were very unfriendly. My wife and myself feared for our lives at times after coming home to Barking station after attending the theatre in the West End. In St Ives, some of the local Cornish people seemed to hate outsiders. Maybe you are missing people like this .......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJLaJar6lFA
Old Feb 6th 2010, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Australia boring ??????????????

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1225827352758

Flood joy riders leave emergency workers fuming

EMERGENCY service workers are fuming after a jet ski and a speedboat careered through flooded streets in the southwest Queensland town of Roma.

Emergency Management Queensland's area director Scott Walsh says the jet ski and speedboat created havoc for flood prevention and management plans and police had to be called in to stop the joy riding.

The town of 7000, 475km northwest of Brisbane, is on flood alert with Bungil Creek, which runs through the town, peaking at seven metres yesterday, although it is now receding.

"I thought I had seen it all, but as always you're pleasantly surprised by the lack of intelligence of some people," Mr Walsh told AAP.

"In a public area that backs onto houses, a couple of individuals took it upon themselves to get their recreational vehicles out and give them a test run in the middle of town.

"We had to get police assistance to stop the person in the speedboat putting bow waves into properties.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

I do.

Do you?

Sorry, only boring people would get bored in Australia.

maybe you should move to Afghanistan or the projects of LA?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.