Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do you drink tap water?

Do you drink tap water?

Old Aug 19th 2008, 4:09 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you drink tap water?

Originally Posted by Sam
i drink the tap water here in Perth but only if i want a quick drink

i normally use filtered water from the fridge (britta)

the water is not bad but over here tastes very clorinated!
Pregnant women aren't supposed to drink Perth tap water. There is too much of a particular metal in there (have forgotten what metal it was). They announce this on the radio every so often.

We use a Britta filter for the kettle and drink bottled water. That's because I like my water "sparkling" .

Gina
Old Aug 19th 2008, 11:29 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Wow, I'm quite surprised by the amount of people who don't drink tap water. I drink it all the time -2-3l of the stuff a day. Have thought about getting a Brita jug but never got round to it.

Are there more chemicals in tap water here than UK then? Or is just that people don't like that taste?
Its just that some people don't like the taste. There seem to be far more people who bang on about this in Aus than back in the UK...and I don't remember UK tapwater tasting all that great.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markallwood
Its just that some people don't like the taste. There seem to be far more people who bang on about this in Aus than back in the UK...and I don't remember UK tapwater tasting all that great.
Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up. I'm not fussy me! (well when it comes to water, can't say the same for just about everything else LOL!).
Old Aug 19th 2008, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for replies everyone, not banging on at all...just curious as I am living in the Middle East where you would SOOOO not want to drink it unless you like the taste of rat and the inside of a hospital....

It was vile in London also but ok in Nottingham...just wondered what was 'normal' in Aus, seems there is no normal its a preference seeing as the 'Authorities' say it's ay ok and some folk say nay...

Off to ingest a non ratty cool drink o water from a bottle The plastic might kill me though.....
Old Aug 19th 2008, 11:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markallwood
I don't remember being asked on here about drinking UK tap water. Given half a chance I will bang on about it though Hated that as well. Only drank it filtered and chilled. Very very hard and yuk. Here it's just yuk
Old Aug 19th 2008, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Are there more chemicals in tap water here than UK then? Or is just that people don't like that taste?
In Manchester (near Bolton, it is different in different areas) the TDS level (total dissolved solids) of our tap water was 80ppm. Here in Adelaide it is 500odd ppm. Some of that is chemicals, some is minerals etc depending on where the water has come from. Personally I think the water here and Manchester water taste equally foul.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Ok just to try and clarify, Water treatment is not a unique science. It depends on a number of factors. In particular the source, upland,low land water is generally soft, same for river sources. However water from a borehole is hard, (think London type water). As a result of that the treatment will differ accordingly hence the differences in taste.

Again temperature and time of year will also affect the composition, the taste may alter with it.

In addition depending on the type of disinfection used this will also give rise to different tastes.

If you are used to drinking water from one source, then move to another location where the water is treated differently, you will notice a difference, though it doesnt necessarily mean that it is unfit.

Water companies sample their potable supplies regularly here, however you may find that as you go inland or more remote the supplies (if treated) may not be subject to the same scruitiny.

Water companies are obliged to provide details of their water quality performance if you are concerned check their parameters and performance looking at Ecoli, total coliforms, for bacteriological compliance.

This according to my Husband!!!!!!!!!