Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do you drink tap water?

Do you drink tap water?

Old Aug 18th 2008, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you drink tap water?

I won't drink the tap water unflitered here in Adelaide, but we do put it unflitered into the kettle, which now has brown scum in it, not limescale, not sure what it is?
I have tried the water here once, and it was just as disgusting as Manchester water! I am a Cambridge girl and would gladly drink the water from the tap there, but as soon as we moved to Manchester I stopped, yuk yuk.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 12:42 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Rudi, I should have poured you a glass of water in our house; it comes out cloudy white and stays that way for ages.

I had no objection to drinking tap water in Singapore, other than it was always warm, but here I use a filter jug. It makes a hell of a difference. If I wasn't in a rental I would have a proper filter fitted to the pipes.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Britta filters!

I am not a green but I have thought for a long time that bottled water drinkers do great harm to the environment.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 10:44 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

The tap water here is safe to drink, but tastes disgusting. Like the bottom of an old dustbin that's been rinsed out.

We have a Zippy instant hot water heater under the kitchen sink - don't even *know* where the kettle's gone - and that filters the water and makes it drinkable.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

In Adelaide the tap water quality varies from suburb to suburb.

Where we live it's very good and no problems drinking straight from the tap, where I work it's the same, I tried once water in one of the southern suburbs and it undrinkable.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 11:18 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
The tap water here is safe to drink, but tastes disgusting. Like the bottom of an old dustbin that's been rinsed out.

We have a Zippy instant hot water heater under the kitchen sink - don't even *know* where the kettle's gone - and that filters the water and makes it drinkable.
Does it chill your cold water too - I have that, have always fitted filter sytems to the past few houses here and in Aus but happy to drink tap water as well if cold.

PS whats a Kettle?
Old Aug 18th 2008, 11:19 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranston
Britta filters!

I am not a green but I have thought for a long time that bottled water drinkers do great harm to the environment.
Ditto. I bought the 19l ones for a cooler in Sg but it's not the greenest method, and it's not good to refill plastic so much, so I'm trying to avoid buying them here.

Originally Posted by Wol

Wol - do they heat the water as it comes through (like an instant gas water system) or maintain a certain temperature? I was reading about them at the weekend and thought they looked good but couldn't work that out and, if it's the latter, that's not very green. Ta.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 12:17 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I never said it was green!

Just very convenient. Some have a fridge side but ours is just the hot water model. It does keep some water hot then heats the throughput as well, I think. It's certainly almost boiling and you make tea with it instantly.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 12:19 am
Auntie Fa

It wasn't a criticism, although would affect my own decision when the time comes. Cheers.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 12:55 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

We are having a entire house filter system put on our house...although the tap water here won't give you a tummy bug, the level or chemicals (especially chlorine) cannot be good for you

We have always had filtered water for cold drinks, but used tap water for the kettle and cooking....but after some thought realised that we are just condensing the chemicals even more by boiling.

I will try to find the link which quite alarmed us...
Old Aug 19th 2008, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

My hubby deals with water quality here a bit and did in the UK. When he says its safer to drink tap than bottled then that'll do for the Evans' thank you very much!! I can assure you the Gold Coast water is safe to drink!!! We do it all the time!!!
Old Aug 19th 2008, 2:15 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Not since our water in N.Wales was contaminated a few years back, no.....never touched it since...
Old Aug 19th 2008, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I'm quite surprised by the amount of people who don't drink tap water. I drink it all the time -2-3l of the stuff a day. Have thought about getting a Brita jug but never got round to it.

Are there more chemicals in tap water here than UK then? Or is just that people don't like that taste?
Old Aug 19th 2008, 4:03 am
Just Joined

shandy720 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive always drunk tap water in Sydney, never considered anything different.
It tastes fine to me, wy is there such a concern/issue with tap water?
Old Aug 19th 2008, 4:06 am
Auntie Fa

If it tastes fine to you, that's great. Ours does not taste or look fine until it's filtered. Old house, maybe. I remember I did drink tap water in some places in Leeds, but not in others, including my Victorian terrace.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.