Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do you drink tap water?

Do you drink tap water?

Old Aug 18th 2008, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Do you drink tap water?

Just wondering if you drink tap water if you live in Sydney? I read about giardia in the system somewhere ages ago. Do people have water coolers and big bottles of water? Or buy small stacks from the supermarket or just drink the water from the tap....

PP
Old Aug 18th 2008, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Do you drink tap water?

tap waters fine here in Qld!!
Old Aug 18th 2008, 9:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WelshSarah
tap waters fine here in Qld!!
Yuk Mind you I never drank straight from the tap water in the UK and tried it here once - never again. Filtered and chilled yes but not straight. Tastes foul - to my mouth anyway
Old Aug 18th 2008, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Yuk Mind you I never drank straight from the tap water in the UK and tried it here once - never again. Filtered and chilled yes but not straight. Tastes foul - to my mouth anyway
So filter jugs are readily available like say Britta? I have been in the ME where you certainly DON"T drink tap water..think chlorine, rats droppings and desalienation...
Old Aug 18th 2008, 10:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Filter jugs, including Brita, under sink filters, fridge water/ice filters - you can get them all here. We are now on tank water and I recently had a sip of tap water at work to take some meds - gagged. Probably as good as anywhere, but it's what you get used to.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 10:45 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

i drink the tap water here in Perth but only if i want a quick drink

i normally use filtered water from the fridge (britta)

the water is not bad but over here tastes very clorinated!
Old Aug 18th 2008, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

rangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nice

thing is do you really want your organs to be a filter or about $100 a year to change under the sink filters for the whole family, its a no brainer
Old Aug 18th 2008, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rangersman2
thing is do you really want your organs to be a filter or about $100 a year to change under the sink filters for the whole family, its a no brainer
Whats the difference in 'under the sink' filters and jug filters?

So the water is not good then....
Old Aug 18th 2008, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey!!! I had never even thought about it!!! I lived for 5 years in Sydney and always drunk water straight from the tap. I do the same in Qld now.

Is this a problem?!!!

Rudi
x
Old Aug 18th 2008, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rudi
Blimey!!! I had never even thought about it!!! I lived for 5 years in Sydney and always drunk water straight from the tap. I do the same in Qld now.

Is this a problem?!!!

Rudi
x
Dunno Rudi, i just read that there was a nice giardia outbreak so now they publish the levels daily on their website, not knowing about water anyway don't know if this is normal or not but the smell of chlorine might put me off...maybe I will do the jug filter thing....
Old Aug 18th 2008, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

emigratingherberts will become famous soon enoughemigratingherberts will become famous soon enough

We all drink it straight from the tap. Researched it on the web when we got here and its supposed to be fine - bit late now if it isn't.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 11:21 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by plantpot
Whats the difference in 'under the sink' filters and jug filters?

So the water is not good then....
Under the sink ones, have a separate tap on the sink for drinking, no different from the jug except it's always there and you don't have to top the jug up.

I'm totally sure the water is fine, I just don't like the taste and I didn't in the UK.
Originally Posted by Rudi

Is this a problem?!!!

Rudi
x
I don't think there's a real problem. They are good at doing panic mode about stuff like that when there is really nothing wrong. There was a thought here about recycled water and many people including government officials were convinced poo was going to come out of the taps and refused to have it ever.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you like it drink it, if you don't, filter it. Don't need to buy bottled though.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Under the sink ones, have a separate tap on the sink for drinking, no different from the jug except it's always there and you don't have to top the jug up.

I'm totally sure the water is fine, I just don't like the taste and I didn't in the UK.

I don't think there's a real problem. They are good at doing panic mode about stuff like that when there is really nothing wrong. There was a thought here about recycled water and many people including government officials were convinced poo was going to come out of the taps and refused to have it ever.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you like it drink it, if you don't, filter it. Don't need to buy bottled though.
Ta... filter it is then for us...
Old Aug 18th 2008, 11:52 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

we drink from the taps and no belly bugs yet
Old Aug 18th 2008, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Adelaide is the only place I wouldn't drink tap water.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.