Do you call Australia home?

Wikiposts

Do you call Australia home?

Old Jun 4th 2009, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

PamK will become famous soon enoughPamK will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Do you call Australia home?

Originally Posted by viviennef
I always refer to Wales as home and here as "out here". My children are Australian, I have an Australian passport and we have no intentions of moving home any time. But funnily we both would want, in the event of death, to be sent back home to be buried with everyone else we know in the cemetery overlooking Andrew's mam's house. I was laughing the other day saying to him "why do you want to be there if your dead" and he said in all seriousness - I dont know, I dont want to be on my own, thats where everyone else is.

For us thats true - my dad, my grandad, my grandmother, my aunties, my first boyfriend and countless others I know are all entrenched in this acre plot. I wouldnt dream of finishing off anywhere else

If I got cancer tomorrow, I think I would go home. As the children get older, I guess that option will fade away

Vivienne
That's interesting re: being sent back to be buried...as I have always said the same to my hubby.....wonder if my thoughts about it will change the longer we stay in Australia....hmm
Old Jun 4th 2009, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

PamK will become famous soon enoughPamK will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I tried very hard for the first couple of years, deliberately calling Australia "home" in the hope that it would sink in to my subconscious. I've now given up, as I've realised when someone says "home" I automatically think "UK".
Hahahaha –Polly, this made me giggle! You are a rather tolerant ‘expat’…..from some comments made by others in threads on here, you would have been long gone back to the UK me thinks…..

Do you intend to ever return there to live for good? Or will it be a case of you will continue to live here forever but your heart always in the motherland……
Old Jun 4th 2009, 7:40 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Home for us is where we are as a family. We left the UK and were homeless for a few days until we landed in Australia. Where we live now is home and the UK is the UK.

I wouldn't be happy calling the UK home and it wouldn't occur to me to do so, it would make me feel my life here wasn't 'real' or valid.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 12:11 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Home to me is England and always will be. Australia is where I live at the moment but I really hope not forever.
Mark feels differently about this so we will see where we end up.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
On the basis that an Expat is usually only temporarily placed in the host country & most of the time plan on returning to their home country, many on here will still call the UK home
As I've said before, the question of whether you consider yourself an expat or a migrant, and or happy, is key here.

Originally Posted by moneypenny20

I wouldn't be happy calling the UK home and it wouldn't occur to me to do so, it would make me feel my life here wasn't 'real' or valid.
I wouldn't be too keen on living like an expat and feel 'invalidated' myself. When I lived in Europe I saw myself as an expat as it was temporary, even though I loved it. Australia is much more permanent. Even if I lived in the UK, life in Australia would still leave it's mark, as Europe did. Just a thought, people never mention this when they return, they tend to say they were glad to have the experience, or more often than not, were not glad..

Originally Posted by jond
Without a doubt Australia is my home.
But I will never class myself as an Australian.
I reckon whether or not you consider yourself an Australian is something else again. I consider myself to be a new Australian as I have citizenship, simple.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

BigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud of

IMO home is where u love to be and you are comfortable being yourself and you want to stay there forever..............so in our case....Home is Sunny Qld
Old Jun 5th 2009, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Reedy
Yep Australia is home.... Home as they say is where the heart is

Hey Babs - long time since I have responded to a thread with you!!! Sounds like you are loving life here

Lau xx
Hi Laura, good to hear from you! Yeah, we are happy, it has still been hard, OH no job, eldest son had problems all round, usual stuff but we are happy to be back and we are staying.OH is currently in UK for family things and is miserable, can't wait to get back so that made me feel better coz he was the one who had the probs last time and I just wondered if going back might affect him but all good. How are you, you sound very settled too?
Old Jun 5th 2009, 1:49 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I call here home, i call there home. I hold an Aussie passport but I'm not Australian, I will always be English, but I am at home and happy here...
Old Jun 5th 2009, 9:22 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Lived in HK from being 1 to 9 yrs and have never considered UK home. Makes no difference to me, I could live in most places in the world and be happy - just don't forward my address to the wife and kids

Cooler
Old Jun 5th 2009, 9:39 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

England is home to me.

I reckon if i'm here for 50 years blighty will still be home....time will tell
Old Jun 5th 2009, 11:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viviennef
For us thats true - my dad, my grandad, my grandmother, my aunties, my first boyfriend and countless others I know are all entrenched in this acre plot. I wouldnt dream of finishing off anywhere else
If you have a cool place to get buried then great.

I still call the UK home, referring to family home, occasionally but there is no real emotional tie to the home, or physical location, just the place where myself and my parents spent a lot of time.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 12:02 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peepster
Afternoon everyone,

I'm interested to hear your views on whether the UK is still 'home' or whether it's Australia. Is 'home' where your heart is or where you actually live?

Over to you guys,
Rellies say 'when are you coming home?' - I have to tell them that I AM home!

The most important members of my family are here - kids, Himself, dogs and cats - it'd be pretty insulting to them if I didn't consider them to be home. Well, possibly the cats wouldn't care.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

kendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nice

Never be home, even if I spend the next twenty years here!
Old Jun 6th 2009, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

robclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nice

I think of a home as a place where old people start eating with their tongues, are tied to chairs, horse whipped with electric flex and charged a fortune for the pleasure!
Old Jun 6th 2009, 11:26 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Felt like home as soon as we arrived so yes I definately call Australia home. As with a lot of other expats the Uk is just the UK or 'back there'.

Even when we have visitors over from 'back there' I don't have any pangs of homesickness at all.

Loz x

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.