Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do it Now? Or wait til May?????

Do it Now? Or wait til May?????

Old Oct 17th 2011, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do it Now? Or wait til May?????

Oklie doklie, getting close to crunch time... I missed out by a few weeks to become one of those who had to wait 4 YEARS for citizenship...

Within a few days Kevin will have served her time here too... (she went back to the uk for a coup,e of months, then had a week in Bali... Or was it thailand... i forget)

Anyway... We are within days of being able to apply for the test etc... But now I'm thinking...

The Grey Nomads are making thier permanant move in May (via a month in Jamaica on their way over) .... Should we wait til then?

Can we take the test now and delay the ceremony til they are hereto share it with us?

Its so bloody special to US... We would want them here with us...

What do you reckon?
Old Oct 17th 2011, 7:07 pm
Humble vaudevillian

benny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Do it Now? Or wait til May?????

I think it says on immi, the whole process could take around six months anyway.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 7:28 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eddie007
Oklie doklie, getting close to crunch time... I missed out by a few weeks to become one of those who had to wait 4 YEARS for citizenship...

Within a few days Kevin will have served her time here too... (she went back to the uk for a coup,e of months, then had a week in Bali... Or was it thailand... i forget)

Anyway... We are within days of being able to apply for the test etc... But now I'm thinking...

The Grey Nomads are making thier permanant move in May (via a month in Jamaica on their way over) .... Should we wait til then?

Can we take the test now and delay the ceremony til they are hereto share it with us?

Its so bloody special to US... We would want them here with us...

What do you reckon?
Take the written test anytime and then wait until May for the ceremony. Easy peasy.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Wot they said ......got 10 months before I can do it.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Take the written test anytime and then wait until May for the ceremony. Easy peasy.
How can you arrange to attend a ceremony on the date you want?
We haven't been given an option of which date/month we would like to do our ceremony, we just have to wait until our council runs one and DIAC invites us. Our council don't run them every month either. I think the only date that every council runs one is Australia day.
We got our 'approval' letter from canberra 4wks ago, told to wait for the invite...

Last edited by AlliF; Oct 17th 2011 at 8:26 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

You should do it ASAP just in case they decide to change the rules again. You never know, they may up it to 5 years. They could revoke your visa in the meantime then you would be able to post in the MBTTUK forum.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Well ours was really fast I called & got the test date for a week later & two weeks later me & my eldest son had private ceremony with the Mayor & got sworn in.
2 months after we had ours hubby had his public ceremony with our youngest two, so wait don't go for it now.xx
It doesn't take 6 months.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 9:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
Well ours was really fast I called & got the test date for a week later & two weeks later me & my eldest son had private ceremony with the Mayor & got sworn in.
2 months after we had ours hubby had his public ceremony with our youngest two, so wait don't go for it now.xx
It doesn't take 6 months.
All depends on your council, and how often they do ceremonies. Very few will do private ones, thats been discussed in several threads in the Immi forum, and you were very lucky. If its a council that doesn't do ceremonies often (or if DIAC lose the application like they did with mine) it can take months. I think mine was 10 months start to finish, due to DIAC and their stuff-ups.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If its a council that doesn't do ceremonies often (or if DIAC lose the application like they did with mine) it can take months. I think mine was 10 months start to finish, due to DIAC and their stuff-ups.
Ooh that's a bummer, hope the DIAC don't go and lose ours too! I know there is a ceremony end of next month so we are hoping to get an invite for that.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Dont mind taking the test now..... Its whether they will let me wait for a ceremony AFTER the grey nomads arrive... The blue rinsed grey nomad has to have surgery in the uk.... Then wait three months before she can fly... As its major orthapaedic... Just so want them to be there for us...

We have friends down the road who applied, tested and were doned within weeks.....
Old Oct 18th 2011, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
All depends on your council, and how often they do ceremonies. Very few will do private ones, thats been discussed in several threads in the Immi forum, and you were very lucky. If its a council that doesn't do ceremonies often (or if DIAC lose the application like they did with mine) it can take months. I think mine was 10 months start to finish, due to DIAC and their stuff-ups.
Polly I'm special you see, I get special treatments.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by eddie007
Dont mind taking the test now..... Its whether they will let me wait for a ceremony AFTER the grey nomads arrive... The blue rinsed grey nomad has to have surgery in the uk.... Then wait three months before she can fly... As its major orthapaedic... Just so want them to be there for us...

We have friends down the road who applied, tested and were doned within weeks.....
We had our ceremony date 2 weeks after passing the written test, there was no option to choose but it may be different in different states. We did our test in October in the hope that we got a Australia Day ceremony in the January and it worked out perfectly but that was probably more luck than judgement.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 4:05 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

We qualify to apply for citizenship on 8th March which was the date we landed in Australia, does anyone know how soon before we can actually apply or does it have to be the precise landing date?
Old Oct 18th 2011, 4:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
We qualify to apply for citizenship on 8th March which was the date we landed in Australia, does anyone know how soon before we can actually apply or does it have to be the precise landing date?
Yes, or later if you prefer.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 2:19 pm

lancastrian48 is an unknown quantity at this point

STILL waiting for ceremony date, council and beurocracy..hmm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.