Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do I have a drink problem? ...

Wikiposts

Do I have a drink problem? ...

Old May 10th 2008, 4:22 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I have a drink problem? ...

Originally Posted by Three Legs
Last night, the missus & her coven went for a few sherberts down 'The Boat' whilst I was left holding the baby and the rest of the 3 legged tribe ...

So, as is nearly always the case, I decided to crack open a bottle of my finest vintage BWS Merlot cleanskin ($6.99 a pop for the purists out there) ... I digress ... Needless to say, within an hour, the bottle was empty and I had opened another

I'm worried as it didn't really have any effect on me ... I didn't even have a dizzy moment as I peeled myself off the sofa after an hour of Bikini Beach and Naked Wild On ....

Should I contact Oz Clarke or form a Northern Suburbs support group ... ?

Love

A. Lush

Mindarie

x
I went to the First Choice Liquor Superstore today and noticed the big jump in the price of premixed drinks like Scotch and Cola/Dry. Used to be $55, now $73. Apparently due to new 30% Federal Gov't excise to curb binge drinking. Both I and the shop assistant couldn't see how it would possibly work, seeing that you can now buy alcohol straight and then get some softdrink from a store, cheaper.
Old May 10th 2008, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Bloke
I went to the First Choice Liquor Superstore today and noticed the big jump in the price of premixed drinks like Scotch and Cola/Dry. Used to be $55, now $73. Apparently due to new 30% Federal Gov't excise to curb binge drinking. Both I and the shop assistant couldn't see how it would possibly work, seeing that you can now buy alcohol straight and then get some softdrink from a store, cheaper.
...and not just that when buying alcopops, you are only permitted to by one slab at a time (Dan Murphys)... though it's quite ok to come back in after you've put the slab in the car, to come back in and buy another 'un
Old May 10th 2008, 4:58 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dtox
...and not just that when buying alcopops, you are only permitted to by one slab at a time (Dan Murphys)... though it's quite ok to come back in after you've put the slab in the car, to come back in and buy another 'un
I think premix drinks are alcopops. It's almost as bad as you now have to show photo ID to buy a copy of "Underbelly", just to prove your not a Victorian.
Old May 10th 2008, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Yes but people who drink alcopops are not the kind who think about buying a bottle of vodka and mixing it. Alcopops play to the instant gratification society that we have become (you know, the sort of people who buy ice cubes or ready made Yorkshire puddings). So yes I think it will act as a deterrent.

But back to original thread.

If you drink a bottle of wine and then start thinking about opening another then yes I suspect you do have a drink problem. In fact its exactly (some of the attitude) expressed on here (i.e. that drinking too much is either funny, big or clever) that ultimately rubs off on the younger generation. In my view that is at least a big part of the cause of binge drinking.
Old May 10th 2008, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

bithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nice

hMMM I work in detox unit and yep sounds like you have answered quite a few of the current assessment questions in your posts indicating a problem ..
Old May 10th 2008, 7:13 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Icarus
repent ??
Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Oh yes, 'cos we all know that you don't drink!
Originally Posted by asher
Avaunt thou art demonkind
Yeah - sorry about that. I'd drunk most of a bottle of wine when I typed it
Old May 10th 2008, 7:15 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinH
Yes but people who drink alcopops are not the kind who think about buying a bottle of vodka and mixing it. Alcopops play to the instant gratification society that we have become (you know, the sort of people who buy ice cubes or ready made Yorkshire puddings). So yes I think it will act as a deterrent.

But back to original thread.

If you drink a bottle of wine and then start thinking about opening another then yes I suspect you do have a drink problem. In fact its exactly (some of the attitude) expressed on here (i.e. that drinking too much is either funny, big or clever) that ultimately rubs off on the younger generation. In my view that is at least a big part of the cause of binge drinking.
Perhaps we are flippant about drinking too much, to be honest I am far from an alcoholic and rarely drink more than one or two glasses of wine, my children are responsible drinkers too
Old May 10th 2008, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really nice

Originally Posted by bithbheo
hMMM I work in detox unit and yep sounds like you have answered quite a few of the current assessment questions in your posts indicating a problem ..
#20... you got any spare beds?...
Old May 10th 2008, 7:35 pm
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute

My brother once bought me a small assortment of wine stoppers, i asked him 'What are they for'????

Nev
Old May 10th 2008, 7:38 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

I LOVE the fact that Donna hasnt posted on this thread!

As regards the drink problem - No more than the rest of us honey, welcome! sit down and have another drink...
Old May 10th 2008, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by asher
Perhaps we are flippant about drinking too much, to be honest I am far from an alcoholic and rarely drink more than one or two glasses of wine, my children are responsible drinkers too
I wasn't making a comment about you - it was a general observation that if adults (??) make light of it then children don't see it as a problem.
Old May 10th 2008, 8:06 pm
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinH
I wasn't making a comment about you - it was a general observation that if adults (??) make light of it then children don't see it as a problem.
Does this come under the 'I am offended so please delete this thread' banner? hmmm interesting

Nev
Old May 10th 2008, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

What's wrong with buying Aunt Bessies ready-made Yorkshire puds then?
I don't think that makes me a bad parent, just makes a more successful roast dinner!
Old May 10th 2008, 9:43 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
What's wrong with buying Aunt Bessies ready-made Yorkshire puds then?
I don't think that makes me a bad parent, just makes a more successful roast dinner!
because they are easy to make and you can add stuff into the batter mixture.
Old May 10th 2008, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
because they are easy to make and you can add stuff into the batter mixture.
No sorry! Just going for instant gratification on this one!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.