Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do folk eat out less in Aus?

Wikiposts

Do folk eat out less in Aus?

Old May 20th 2008, 11:37 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do folk eat out less in Aus?

Originally Posted by JoolsB
We went to a place called Hobsons in Sandringham for the Sunday lunch I referred to-not one other customer the whole time and then drove by a number of other places along the bayside during the week-max 2 tables full at most. Walking around Port Melbourne on a Monday lunchtime-very quiet everywhere & the pub we had planned on going was shut Mondays. Looked in at a pub we saw online & thought looked good in Collingwood-only 2 customers. Just seems v quiet wherever we go-but then could just be because there's 1/4 of the population we're used to in London...
Yea - it's the same here - lots of restaurants are shut on Monday or Tuesday or both. Seems to be that you go out to eat Wed-thru-Sunday.
Old May 20th 2008, 11:39 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

We went to a place called Hobsons in Sandringham for the Sunday lunch I referred to-not one other customer the whole time and then drove by a number of other places along the bayside during the week-max 2 tables full at most. Walking around Port Melbourne on a Monday lunchtime-very quiet everywhere & the pub we had planned on going was shut Mondays. Looked in at a pub we saw online & thought looked good in Collingwood-only 2 customers. Just seems v quiet wherever we go-but then could just be because there's 1/4 of the population we're used to in London...

Jools monday is definately a funny day, lots of eating places closed on a monday (its a bugger when your looking for a carryout as you aint been to the supermarket). It all does seem pretty quiet on a Monday.
Old May 20th 2008, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Get yourself a copy of The Cheap Eats Guide - some fantastic places all over Melbourne, even the burbs!

HTH
Old May 20th 2008, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OzSheila
Get yourself a copy of The Cheap Eats Guide - some fantastic places all over Melbourne, even the burbs!

HTH
good thinking batman,am gonna do that
Old May 20th 2008, 12:15 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzSheila

HTH
Cheers for the tip -I have found loads of good places but just wondered why they are empty much of the time
Old May 20th 2008, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

We eat out loads more here- not good for the weight gain.

Sometimes it is hard to decide where to go, as there are to many good places to chose from.

H (whose Vietnamese mum was a fab cook) is very particular about his Asian food and we have found some awful Chinese and some amazing places. Still the bad ones do not get repeat business.

Here in Newport/Willy there are some fab places and no matter what day of week/time of year, they are busy.

You just have to look around!
Old May 20th 2008, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Ask Buzzy
Old May 20th 2008, 1:20 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Curry (where you live) is no way as good as UK. Bloody excellent indian restaurant here (in fact just last night I had a stunning Jhinga Malabari, Pilau Rice and a Garlic and Corriander naan bread for the princely sum of $16).

Chinese food (where you live) is full of crappy veg and fatty meat. Where we live, the Chinese restaurants are mediocre, the noodle bars are really good and the Thai is bloody excellent.

But let's be honest - if Gordon Ramsay opened up in your local high street and was charging $20 a meal all-in, you'd still think it was shit.
Maybe it's just over here that its crap!

There's only a handful of places that I will pay my hard earned cash for good food....

As for the Indians/Chinese/Thai..... I would rather lick a light switch.
Old May 20th 2008, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

[QUOTE=Hutch;6372941

But let's be honest - if Gordon Ramsay opened up in your local high street and was charging $20 a meal all-in, you'd still think it was shit.[/QUOTE]

Curry where i live is definately not as good as UK, you got that right.
And if Gordon opened a restaurant here i'd give it a go, but i don't like the way he cooks his meat, far too rare, so yeah you're right again. You shouldn't take offence. He wouldn't

p.s..i had a nice piece of chicken last night from KFC..all breast too, so no, not everywhere is shit, although you'd like me to think that!

Last edited by Nu-Shooz; May 20th 2008 at 1:36 pm.
Old May 20th 2008, 2:07 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

The Perth curse rears its head again ...
Old May 20th 2008, 2:13 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Curry where i live is definately not as good as UK, you got that right.
And if Gordon opened a restaurant here i'd give it a go, but i don't like the way he cooks his meat, far too rare, so yeah you're right again. You shouldn't take offence. He wouldn't

p.s..i had a nice piece of chicken last night from KFC..all breast too, so no, not everywhere is shit, although you'd like me to think that!
Oooh there's a couple of good curry places up here. If you're ever up, let me know. We'll go out and splurge.
Old May 20th 2008, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

My observations...

Food is generally better quality than in England, though often it's more expensive.

Asian places are fairly cheap, but anywhere else (eg, pubs/restaurants) are pricey. In the pubs near us the cheapest main courses are all around $20, which would be 10 pound, so I certainly don't think that's cheap. The portions are often not that big either.
Obviously you can find areas (like St Kilda) and establishments that have cheap deals/offers on most days of the week, but there aren't may of these near us!

I've found most eating places very busy most of the time, except on a Monday which seems to be a day off for most of the bar/restaurant trade.

I've given up on Chinese as I usually like chicken dishes but over here every one I've tried (and I've tried a few) use some kind of horrible, slimy, inedible part of the chicken (I dread to think what part )
Have not found the same problem so often with Thai, which are usually very good.

Greek restaurants are fab, numerous and popular over here. They have rapidly become my place of choice.

Takeaway pizzas are dangerously cheap! We can get two large pizzas for 18 bucks delivered ... so that's becoming quite common in our house

All in all, I find eating out a better experience here, though not as cheap as some people seem to find it.
Old May 20th 2008, 6:37 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hutch
The Perth curse rears its head again ...
Thing is you're in Sydney. We loved everything about the place when we went. Even the food
Now come over West and eat the stuff they serve here, write all about it in your journal...i'm sure you'll understand me abit better.
There is one mean Indian i will take you to, i'll buy
Old May 20th 2008, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DianneH68
My observations...

Food is generally better quality than in England, though often it's more expensive.

Asian places are fairly cheap, but anywhere else (eg, pubs/restaurants) are pricey. In the pubs near us the cheapest main courses are all around $20, which would be 10 pound, so I certainly don't think that's cheap. The portions are often not that big either.
Obviously you can find areas (like St Kilda) and establishments that have cheap deals/offers on most days of the week, but there aren't may of these near us!

I've found most eating places very busy most of the time, except on a Monday which seems to be a day off for most of the bar/restaurant trade.

I've given up on Chinese as I usually like chicken dishes but over here every one I've tried (and I've tried a few) use some kind of horrible, slimy, inedible part of the chicken (I dread to think what part )
Have not found the same problem so often with Thai, which are usually very good.

Greek restaurants are fab, numerous and popular over here. They have rapidly become my place of choice.

Takeaway pizzas are dangerously cheap! We can get two large pizzas for 18 bucks delivered ... so that's becoming quite common in our house

All in all, I find eating out a better experience here, though not as cheap as some people seem to find it.
You've got me looking forwards to eating out in Pubs in the UK, How much is the average meal in a pub ? It's probably going to seem cheap now with the exchange rate etc, which will be a novel experience. I avoid pubs in Melbourne except for the really good ones, like the Robert Burns in Fitzroy , which specializes in Spanish Seafood. They seem overpriced compared to restaurants. 25 bucks upwards for a decent steak in a lot of pubs in Melbourne, whereas the average ethnic main course, whether that be, Turkish, right through to Afghan and beyond is around 15-16 bucks.

Wow eating out in the UK feeling cheap, thats damn different

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 20th 2008 at 7:33 pm.
Old May 20th 2008, 7:29 pm
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't know who said it but I do think that some of the food is different to the uk because it is made to authentic recipes. In my experience tho this doesn't apply to curries, pretty shocking in some places. Went out and had a Madras with the neighbours Saturday night. I've had hotter Kormas, and the Korma was shite. Naan breads superb tho

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.