Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do dog whistles work?

Do dog whistles work?

Old Aug 20th 2017, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do dog whistles work?

Every time I come within 500 miles of the neighbours' dogs, they bark their heads off. I asked him if 'introducing' us would help, get used to our scent, etc. He just told me to tell them "shut up dogs".. helpful (and it doesn't work).

I've seen an automated thing on eBay, so when the dogs bark this gizmo works its magic. Or even a cheap one I blow myself. However cheap, I don't want to waste my money though.

Happy Monday y'all
Old Aug 21st 2017, 1:24 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do dog whistles work?

A dog whistle is a training aid, not a magic remote control for dogs. Save your money.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 1:52 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
Every time I come within 500 miles of the neighbours' dogs, they bark their heads off. I asked him if 'introducing' us would help, get used to our scent, etc. He just told me to tell them "shut up dogs".. helpful (and it doesn't work).

I've seen an automated thing on eBay, so when the dogs bark this gizmo works its magic. Or even a cheap one I blow myself. However cheap, I don't want to waste my money though.

Happy Monday y'all
We bought one that looks like a bird house for the neighbours dogs. It emits a sound they don't like when they bark which trains them not to. So far that along with the complaint to the council has helped. They still bark occasionally when we go out to the back shed, but only once instead of the constant hours on end barking they used to do.
https://www.petbarn.com.au/petsafe-o...rk-control?p=1
Old Aug 21st 2017, 2:43 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
We bought one that looks like a bird house for the neighbours dogs. It emits a sound they don't like when they bark which trains them not to. So far that along with the complaint to the council has helped. They still bark occasionally when we go out to the back shed, but only once instead of the constant hours on end barking they used to do.
Ouch!

They really do push their profit margins, particularly when you know the electronics in those things.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High...b-458fe175f94b
Old Aug 21st 2017, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Yes, we had one and it worked all right - but it was pretty expensive and the batteries didn't last long. Also, it had to be placed with a clear line of sight to the dogs. We also tried a dog-whistle, but it was of dubious benefit. What fixed the barking for me was yelling really, really loudly. The dogs didn't take much notice at first, but the neighbours did; and the yelling late at night eventually embarrassed the owners so much that they put electric-zapper collars on the dogs. Now, the dogs recognise my voice (when yelled at) and shut up themselves, which is nice! They're comforted by the familiar voice, I think.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 2:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
..... What fixed the barking for me was yelling really, really loudly. The dogs didn't take much notice at first, but the neighbours did; and the yelling late at night eventually embarrassed the owners .....
Old Aug 21st 2017, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
On one occasion, in the early days of my anger, I went out into my front yard in the middle of the night with no clothes on and yelled at the dogs over the road. I followed that incident up with a letter to our local newspaper, reporting my action and complaining about the inconvenience. One sympathetic lady - a neighbour from two hundred yards down the street - responded with her own Letter to the Editor asking if I would be kind enough to give her advance notice of any repeat performance.
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 12:28 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we had one and it worked all right - but it was pretty expensive and the batteries didn't last long. Also, it had to be placed with a clear line of sight to the dogs. We also tried a dog-whistle, but it was of dubious benefit. What fixed the barking for me was yelling really, really loudly. The dogs didn't take much notice at first, but the neighbours did; and the yelling late at night eventually embarrassed the owners so much that they put electric-zapper collars on the dogs. Now, the dogs recognise my voice (when yelled at) and shut up themselves, which is nice! They're comforted by the familiar voice, I think.
Electric zappers - nice Why don't the lazy bastards just train their dogs properly and humanely, instead of subjecting them to this crap.
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Electric zappers - nice .....
It's enough to cause a little discomfort, you're not hooking it up the mains!
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Electric zappers - nice Why don't the lazy bastards just train their dogs properly and humanely, instead of subjecting them to this crap.
It's pretty hard to train yard-dogs, I should think. Many (irresponsible) dog-owners are reluctant to let them stay in the house overnight. Left outside in the yard at night, dogs seem to find it hard to distinguish between burglars and leaves. Any suggestions?
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 7:15 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

It's pretty hard to train yard-dogs, I should think. Many (irresponsible) dog-owners are reluctant to let them stay in the house overnight. Left outside in the yard at night, dogs seem to find it hard to distinguish between burglars and leaves. Any suggestions?
I have a few suggestions, most of them unprintable.

If people have to resort to giving their dog electric shocks to force it to adapt to a situation they've put it in, then they shouldn't have a dog.
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 7:29 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Here the laws seem to be about the value of an animal, and the laws are stringly against praedial larceny [stealing the neighbours tomatoes...]. If you find a goat eating lunch in your garden you can kill and eat it. If you find a dog you can kill it as its clearly threatening your livestock [best to have a goat] , if you find a cow you have to tie it up and ask for compensation from anyone who appears to own it and if theres no agreement call the cops who will have them in court and fined quite readily.

Theres quite a lot of dog poisoning in some areas, nasty habit...

A cousin shoots all dogs on his farm on sight, and as its hundreds of yards from his gate to the nearest house, his neighbours are careful and he sleeps quietly. Luckily my neighbour hates cockerels, and keeps a quiet dog so pretty quiet round here.
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have a few suggestions, most of them unprintable.
If people have to resort to giving their dog electric shocks to force it to adapt to a situation they've put it in, then they shouldn't have a dog.
I would go further, spouse: people who can't keep their dogs quiet at night (especially at night) shouldn't be allowed to have dogs at all. And roosters, Grenada - and roosters!
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 7:37 pm
Concierge

I would go further, spouse: people who can't keep their dogs quiet at night (especially at night) shouldn't be allowed to have dogs at all. And roosters, Grenada - and roosters!
Can't argue with that Gordon, in fact I'd even carry a banner supporting it. As long as they kept their dogs quiet by having them in the house or trained them using positive reinforcement methods.
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Can't argue with that Gordon, in fact I'd even carry a banner supporting it. As long as they kept their dogs quiet by having them in the house or trained them using positive reinforcement methods.
In my book, allowing one's dog(s) to bark in the night is just plain bad manners, and actually amounts to bullying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.