Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do Aussies and ex-pats wear Sunscreen Daily!?

Wikiposts

Do Aussies and ex-pats wear Sunscreen Daily!?

Old Apr 14th 2009, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Aussies and ex-pats wear Sunscreen Daily!?

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Something I've often wondered, do Aussies, and people from other countries, living in Australia, wear sunscreen (or suncream) on a daily basis? Like is it part of the daily routine, have shower, dry off, put suncream on, get dressed, go to work!? lol

I just know when I eventually get out there in 2020 (I've applied for a 175 non CSL/MODL 'slowwwwwwwwwww' visa) that me being of the freckly kind, if I don't, I'll end up looking like a 'dot to dot' book gone wrong!? lol
A lot of aussie kids don't, my daughter went to school wearing some and they were all sniffing her as it was rare amongst the 11yr old class!

A grandmother of an aussie kid also said, aussie's are slack with the sunscreen!!
Old Apr 14th 2009, 12:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sammyg

A lot of aussie kids don't, my daughter went to school wearing some and they were all sniffing her as it was rare amongst the 11yr old class!
Agree, in highschool if you wear sunblock, hat or sunnies you are a nerd.

Much cooler to have a skin cancer scar, a face and neck covered in black moles, or lines around eyes already appearing at 17.

Sun here destroys your skin, dont mess with it, and dont kid yourself clothing or being in a car totally protects you from it, Ive had sunburn from driving in AC car, all windows closed. 15yr old just had malignant mole removed from his back, ( under shirt, just above where the backpack goes ) some clothing offers virtually no protection either.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Nope, easier and cooler to wear long sleeves and stay indoors out of the sun most of the time. Saves everything getting a coating of greasy cream too.
I'm with Polly on this . . . a big sombrero and a poncho keep me cool and covered.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 2:16 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
I'm with Polly on this . . . a big sombrero and a poncho keep me cool and covered.
That's fine for days when you're not doing much but totally impractical for sport, outdoor recreation or work.

It's mid-April and the sun is still pretty ferocious here in NSW. I'd be interested to see the studies RE vit D deficiency in Australians because you actually don't need a whole heap of sun exposure to be adequate, but then I do recall once reading somewhere that Australian kids spend more time indoors than kids from any other Westernised country so perhaps it's not su unbelievable.

It's far too early days for me to draw serious conclusions but so far I think there's as many minuses to 'living in the sun' as pluses, but my feelings on that may change as we're now in the best weather and there's no endless grey winter in front ...
Old Apr 14th 2009, 2:29 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Only a few days in summer when l am going to be out in the sun alot like the the beach, l live in Victoria half the year its cold and grey and not much sun, so l hardly ever put it on, in summer you can wear a hat or long sleaved shirt instead if you are outdoors alot. Most AUssies hardfy ever put on sunscreen unless they are going to the beach, most of the year you don't need sunscreen or a hat, but it depands on what part of the country you live in. Putting on suncream is defently not part of the daily routine of people in OZ .
Old Apr 14th 2009, 2:58 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
, l live in Victoria half the year its cold and grey and not much sun
Things you learn on here, must be a different Victoria to the one I've lived in for the last 4 years
Old Apr 14th 2009, 3:22 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Something I've often wondered, do Aussies, and people from other countries, living in Australia, wear sunscreen (or suncream) on a daily basis? Like is it part of the daily routine, have shower, dry off, put suncream on, get dressed, go to work!? lol

I just know when I eventually get out there in 2020 (I've applied for a 175 non CSL/MODL 'slowwwwwwwwwww' visa) that me being of the freckly kind, if I don't, I'll end up looking like a 'dot to dot' book gone wrong!? lol
yes the sun is so strong here, just do it as part of our routine instead of moisturisng after the shower use sunscreen, can get some really nice ones that are non greasy. even in winter I at least use a factor based face moisturiser.

so many people around here with skin cancer, its just not worth the risk slip slap slop get out and enjoy
Old Apr 14th 2009, 3:27 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Agree, in highschool if you wear sunblock, hat or sunnies you are a nerd.

Much cooler to have a skin cancer scar, a face and neck covered in black moles, or lines around eyes already appearing at 17.
that really is scary
Old Apr 14th 2009, 3:32 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fraser
Things you learn on here, must be a different Victoria to the one I've lived in for the last 4 years
Yes those long hot summer days in Melbourne in July without a cloud in the sky.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 3:35 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by fraser
Try getting a tan in Melbounre in July then. How many people are swimming at the beach that time of year in Victoria?
Old Apr 14th 2009, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Try getting a tan in Melbounre in July then. How many people are swimming at the beach that time of year in Victoria?
Buzzy Bee
Old Apr 14th 2009, 5:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Buzzy Bee
Oh no, one of those spit-the-drink-over-the-laptop moments
Old Apr 14th 2009, 5:05 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Yes those long hot summer days in Melbourne in July without a cloud in the sky.
You said 6 momths of grey skies did you not? Not just July!

Even in the winter here in Melbourne there are more sunny days that cloudy ones, and the sun is just as strong here.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 6:15 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

We do, by jo we have to or we fry like a fly in hot oil

We've got burnt on dull cloudy days here and i hate suncream with a passion

We do have pale blue celtic skin though, which doesn't help!
Old Apr 14th 2009, 7:23 pm
(^v^)

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
We do, by jo we have to or we fry like a fly in hot oil

We've got burnt on dull cloudy days here and i hate suncream with a passion

We do have pale blue celtic skin though, which doesn't help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.