Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Did you pick up the accent??

Did you pick up the accent??

Old Sep 9th 2008, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

badassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to all
Default Did you pick up the accent??

Just wondering how long it took you and your family to pick up the aussie accent, or if his has never stuck with you!!
our kids are only 5 and 9, so hopefully they will pick it up quickly.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 1:08 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did you pick up the accent??

Originally Posted by badassbrickie
Just wondering how long it took you and your family to pick up the aussie accent, or if his has never stuck with you!!
I have found alot of English people who say that adults never pick up an accent, to actually have an Aussie twang themselves.

It appears to me that people with a strong regional accent seem to take longer if at all, to pick up an Aussie accent where as some of the southerners have picked it up - albeit some more than others.

I dont think it is fake, I think that some people are prone to mimicking accents without being aware of it.

My Dad said he can hear me say things differently although I dont hear it myself.

Some people might not think they have picked up an accent but when I hear them, they most certainly have.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 2:15 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

I phone the U.K and people say 'You sound really Australian' but then somedays all I have to do is utter a small sentence and it will be 'Where in England are you from?' So I don't really know? but I do sound 'very London' in old home video films lol!

Jan (been in Australia for four years and from a North London background)
Old Sep 9th 2008, 2:49 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

I'm terrible for picking up accents, apparently cause I'm musical! People think I'm taking the mick but I really don't know I'm doing it! I have a mixed Irish accent now (from living in different parts) with some Scottish thrown in (five years there) although I've been in London for 7 and no sign of a cockney twang yet. Will be hilarious to see what happens Dahn Undah...

tx
Old Sep 9th 2008, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

gazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nice

I moved from Brighton to Northampton and alot of people say " oh no not another bludy ozzie" but i'm a suvner!! so from this i think i will pick up the accent as if i'm taking the mick and will be quite conscious of it! My kids have a northampton accent which sounds simple and i hate it so i hope they do get it. My hubby has already started using some oz terms from being on BE but he is a bit of a cockney so i don't think he will be that bad.lol.x
Will soon find out.
Claire.x
Old Sep 9th 2008, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Rastis will become famous soon enough

I have a mate who was born in England, grew up in Australia, moved to Scotland when he was in his thirties and lived there for ten or so years then moved back to Australia, he has an English accent with an Aussie twang but when he gets over excited, like at the footy or races, a Scot accent appears!
Old Sep 9th 2008, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan3kids
I phone the U.K and people say 'You sound really Australian' but then somedays all I have to do is utter a small sentence and it will be 'Where in England are you from?' So I don't really know? but I do sound 'very London' in old home video films lol!

Jan (been in Australia for four years and from a North London background)
Same, except I've been here 8 years. Both my kids have the full Aussie number though.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 10:42 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I caught myself saying 'hey?', yesterday instead of 'eh?' (rude, I know! ). I think my conversion is underway!
Old Sep 9th 2008, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I have mixed accent, English, Yarpy,NZ and Aus all mixed up. My husband has a geordie accent and still has after 30 years.

My sisterinlaw who lives in NZ and been there since her early 20's speaks geordie too but has picked up NZ accent and sounds really strange. Yees. Chups
Old Sep 10th 2008, 1:32 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Not picked up the accent but have picked up some of the expressions.

I've got the obvious ones like G'day and No worries down pat. Also use shonky, squiz, truck and a few other that don't come to mind now. In the family we still talk about trousers but seem to automatically say pants when talking to Aussies.

Can't get yard to work. Just doesn't sound right
Old Sep 10th 2008, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

I've only been here 4 months & working for 3, but I have changed the way I say some things & say it that way naturally now, if you know what I mean. Being in IT I have changed the way I say router & data for example. Also changed the way I pronounce my name cos that confuses people

My Aunt has been here 40 years & she sounds Australian to us, but her kids say she sounds English....especially when she is around us
Old Sep 10th 2008, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

And.....when I was talking to Tiddlypom at the weekend....there are a few words she says with a bit of an accent & I wasn't the only one to notice!
Old Sep 10th 2008, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by badassbrickie
I first moved out here with my family when I was 11 and my brother was 7. Me and my brother picked it up really strong within a few months to a year and my mum had her pommy/Irish accent blend for a while.

I then moved back to Ireland at 15 and within about 3 months completely lost the aussie accent and had a full Irish accent back, went back and forth a few times and the Irish accent stuck more, but now it’s a mix – to people in Oz I don’t sound Aussie but they can tell I’m from somewhere else but not sure where, and in Ireland I don’t sound Irish but they can tell I’m from somewhere else but not sure where and I get mistaken with being anything from American to South African! Lol

My brother and mum both sound like natural aussies now.

So your kids will definitely pick it up.

Mikey

Last edited by Mikeyc; Sep 10th 2008 at 2:13 am.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

My kids picked up a kiwi accent so am hoping to 're-train' them into speaking with an aussie twang!
Us? We still sound British, I think!
Old Sep 10th 2008, 3:46 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by medwaymark
Being in IT I have changed the way I say router & data for example.
I work in IT too, but I could never bring myself to say rowter (router) or cayche (cache). I'm agnostic when it comes to da-ta & dayta though!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.