Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Did the UK do the right thing in voting to leave the E.U.

View Poll Results: Brexit the aftermath, did the people of the UK vote correctly ?
Yes
40.95%
No
50.48%
Not more bloody navel gazing for gawd sakes !!!
8.57%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Did the UK do the right thing in voting to leave the E.U.

Old Apr 4th 2017, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did the UK do the right thing in voting to leave the E.U.

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Details

The British people voted to leave the EU. End of. It is up to the government of the day to decide how they want to implement this decision. They will live or die by how they do this at the next election. That's how it works in a democracy champ

A 2nd Scotch referendum is up to the governments of the UK and Scotland to decide on. The Westminster government is well within their right to deny another vote and any move by Scotland to ignore that and go for independence is a virtual UDI and the EU would take a dim view of it
Details? That's my point, people didn't vote on the details just the bald in or out and most of those who voted out saw it merely as a curb on immigration and no more.

Scotch is a drink. May is not saying you can't have a referendumactually; she's saying not before Brexit; Sturgeon wants it before.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 5:01 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

A 2nd Scotch referendum is up to the governments of the UK and Scotland to decide on. The Westminster government is well within their right to deny another vote
As usual you only ramble on about "the will of the people" or democracy prevailing when it suits your agenda. As soon as it doesn't you do a quick 180.

Denying Scotland a vote is quite undemocratic. They're being dragged out of the EU against their will, so asking the people which road they would like to follow (stick to Downing Street's brexit madness or go it alone and seek quick re-entry into the EU) definitely seems like something they should be allowed to do in the very near future.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 5:40 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
As usual you only ramble on about "the will of the people" or democracy prevailing when it suits your agenda. As soon as it doesn't you do a quick 180.

Denying Scotland a vote is quite undemocratic. They're being dragged out of the EU against their will, so asking the people which road they would like to follow (stick to Downing Street's brexit madness or go it alone and seek quick re-entry into the EU) definitely seems like something they should be allowed to do in the very near future.
yep I think that's right with the very near future being just after the actual Brexit
Old Apr 4th 2017, 8:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you underestimate the Scottish public, Sturgeon thinks the begging bowl will be fuller if rattled towards the EU but in reality the Austerity imposed on them as a condition of membership will be the end of the SNP. If they held another referendum now the result would be the same.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 11:36 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Rubbish

The UK government does have the right to block a 2nd Scotch vote - whether they do or not is up to them - and the voters will judge them on this decision. Democracy or "the will of the people" at work again

I personally think it would be a bad idea for Scotland to leave the UK - but it's not up to me is it

Democracy, as opposed to left-wing me, me, me politics is a wonderful thing
Old Apr 5th 2017, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Details? That's my point, people didn't vote on the details just the bald in or out and most of those who voted out saw it merely as a curb on immigration and no more.

Scotch is a drink. May is not saying you can't have a referendumactually; she's saying not before Brexit; Sturgeon wants it before.
Sturgeon wants it when the terms are known and at the same time as the EU countries vote. This means that May cannot trade away Scotland's assets to gain a better deal for the south of England.

Last edited by Gibbo; Apr 5th 2017 at 1:47 am.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Rubbish

The UK government does have the right to block a 2nd Scotch vote - whether they do or not is up to them - and the voters will judge them on this decision. Democracy or "the will of the people" at work again

I personally think it would be a bad idea for Scotland to leave the UK - but it's not up to me is it

Democracy, as opposed to left-wing me, me, me politics is a wonderful thing
Technically they do, but not a very good idea. The Scots will have their referendum whether May agrees or not. Independence is the best thing that could happen to Scotland.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 2:20 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Technically they do, but not a very good idea. The Scots will have their referendum whether May agrees or not. Independence is the best thing that could happen to Scotland.
Technically they could go ahead with a referendum if Westminster doesn't allow one but it would be fraught with difficulty. There are many separatist movements in Europe - Flemish, Northern Italian, Catalonian etc - that the EU does not want and allowing Scotland to unilaterally declare independence would be taken with a dim view by them

Not my fight BTW. I think independence for the Scotch would be a bad idea but it's not up to me
Old Apr 5th 2017, 2:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Scotch is a drink
Details

Scotch, Scots - same thing
Old Apr 5th 2017, 5:53 am
Account Closed

Sturgeon wants it when the terms are known and at the same time as the EU countries vote. This means that May cannot trade away Scotland's assets to gain a better deal for the south of England.
The full terms will take 2 years to thrash out, and they won't be the finished article, The EU will be like an exam admistrator, aaaaaaannndd pens down

I'm from the south of England from this place, don't get hung up on us having the best deal, we didn't. Estate of the nation: The real life of UK's council flat tenants - Mirror Online

If the Scots get their independance, and I'm neither here nor there on it, how long before they stop blaming the English for everything?

As a bi-stander a deficit of 10% GDP is going to mean the SNP will be known as the Austerity party, which they'll blame on England and eventually Europe. Westminster has been very kind to the Scots, but by the time that's realised, it may be too late.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat098; Apr 5th 2017 at 5:56 am.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
The full terms will take 2 years to thrash out, and they won't be the finished article, The EU will be like an exam admistrator, aaaaaaannndd pens down

I'm from the south of England from this place, don't get hung up on us having the best deal, we didn't. Estate of the nation: The real life of UK's council flat tenants - Mirror Online

If the Scots get their independance, and I'm neither here nor there on it, how long before they stop blaming the English for everything?

As a bi-stander a deficit of 10% GDP is going to mean the SNP will be known as the Austerity party, which they'll blame on England and eventually Europe. Westminster has been very kind to the Scots, but by the time that's realised, it may be too late.
The only thing I want to say is Westminster has never been kind to the Scots and as the Scots parliament cannot borrow it has to balance the books with the pocket money that Westminster returns to it. Westminster apportions a percentage of its debt to the devolved administrations. Scotland doesn't blame the English for anything, only Westminster. There is a difference. Sorry I said more than one thing.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 10:44 am
Account Closed

The only thing I want to say is Westminster has never been kind to the Scots and as the Scots parliament cannot borrow it has to balance the books with the pocket money that Westminster returns to it. Westminster apportions a percentage of its debt to the devolved administrations. Scotland doesn't blame the English for anything, only Westminster. There is a difference. Sorry I said more than one thing.
Westminster screws whoever they can get away with screwing, the Scots are nothing special in that respect. Do you think the EU is going to be any kinder?

Last edited by scrubbedexpat098; Apr 5th 2017 at 10:54 am.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Any evidence for that? Because as someone that has been campaigning to leave the EU for decades, what I have seen on the ground is the exact opposite
Old Apr 5th 2017, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

You do know that Scotland currently receives between 10 and 20% more than it generates in income under the Barnett formula?
Old Apr 5th 2017, 3:35 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

what assets did you have in mind?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.