Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Did I really see a Woolworths ad....

Did I really see a Woolworths ad....

Old Jul 11th 2010, 6:35 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did I really see a Woolworths ad....

What about the $100 dollar discount offers where you have to send off for a refund rather than them reduce the price

I once applied for a *discount* on line and it was that hard, I gave up the will to live:curse:
Old Jul 11th 2010, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen adverts but largely ignore them like I would anything similar. Bit of a curiosity. Why advertise food?Nisky - these adverts are not directed at you but the tabloid proletariat who would seize on these things. Was this a tabloid newspaper or a more serious paper?
Old Jul 11th 2010, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I've seen adverts but largely ignore them like I would anything similar. Bit of a curiosity. Why advertise food?Nisky - these adverts are not directed at you but the tabloid proletariat who would seize on these things. Was this a tabloid newspaper or a more serious paper?
WA Sunday Times.
Probably a sign of our hard times that I jumped at the thought of a price reduction.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
WA Sunday Times.
Probably a sign of our hard times that I jumped at the thought of a price reduction.
Tabloid or serious paper?

Targeting blue-collar or professional readership?
Old Jul 11th 2010, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Tabloid or serious paper?

Targeting blue-collar or professional readership?
Well, when I first came to Perth I thought it was garbage. The light weight of the News of the World but with the conservatism of the Daily Mail.

After 5 years of having to cope, now I quite like it. Which is a major concern. It makes me worry that if I ever moved back to England I wouldn't understand the Sunday Times or the Observer (apart from the comic section). And I won't be able to hold my own in any half-decent discussion in a pub on a Sunday lunchtime (unless it's about the finer points of chair-sniffing, a peculiarly WA political practice)

Whatever, it's the only Sunday paper in Perth.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well, when I first came to Perth I thought it was garbage. The light weight of the News of the World but with the conservatism of the Daily Mail.

After 5 years of having to cope, now I quite like it. Which is a major concern. It makes me worry that if I ever moved back to England I wouldn't understand the Sunday Times or the Observer (apart from the comic section). And I won't be able to hold my own in any half-decent discussion in a pub on a Sunday lunchtime (unless it's about the finer points of chair-sniffing, a peculiarly WA political practice)

Whatever, it's the only Sunday paper in Perth.
(From someone who tends to shy away from sensationalism): You should worry. In fact you've tabled one of the most important socio-economic issues in WA. A state without a decent paper and more importantly, an industry that feels that the state doesn't warrant it.

It's not good that you have to look at those awful adverts which shout 'Look at this you bunch of c**** nts!!'.

I was going be very surprised if you chose to read this paper when there was a broadsheet available.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 8:52 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
What about the $100 dollar discount offers where you have to send off for a refund rather than them reduce the price

I once applied for a *discount* on line and it was that hard, I gave up the will to live:curse:
To be fair, that is not the retailer's fault. Those "discounts" are issued by the manufacturers and vendors. We used to do this ourselves. The research shows that only 30% of consumers actually make the claims to get the cash back, so it is an easy way of getting the consumer to buy your product. If you then add to the fact that the manufacturers deliberately make it difficult for you to claim then you can only imagine how few would bother claiming.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

(From someone who tends to shy away from sensationalism): You should worry. In fact you've tabled one of the most important socio-economic issues in WA. A state without a decent paper and more importantly, an industry that feels that the state doesn't warrant it.

It's not good that you have to look at those awful adverts which shout 'Look at this you bunch of c**** nts!!'.

I was going be very surprised if you chose to read this paper when there was a broadsheet available.
All good points.

This is what niggles me about my current state of mind. As you know I've really ridden a rollercoaster of emotions with regard to whether I like it here or not.
Now that I do like it, I worry that it's because I've become so brain-dead and desensitised to all that is bland, boring and just plain wrong about Australia.

I'm struggling to find a term that describes it - I suppose it's a kind of assimilation relativism.
Hmm quite like that. Sounds sufficiently pretentious. I think I'll talk to myself about it tonight when I'm getting quietly pissed on a cleanskin in front of another repeat of Man vs Wild.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 9:13 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
To be fair, that is not the retailer's fault. Those "discounts" are issued by the manufacturers and vendors. We used to do this ourselves. The research shows that only 30% of consumers actually make the claims to get the cash back, so it is an easy way of getting the consumer to buy your product. If you then add to the fact that the manufacturers deliberately make it difficult for you to claim then you can only imagine how few would bother claiming.
Mate its all about market and market acceptance. If companies told the manufacturers to get f****d they wouldn't offer this crap to the customers in the first place. Supply and demand and all that.

The truth is the manufacturers give the retailers a great deal, a sweetener, and sod the customers. It's this shite practice that creates a nasty taste in the consumers mouth in this country. Cartel behaviour is rife:curse:

Customer is king? Yeh righto
Old Jul 11th 2010, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

All good points.

This is what niggles me about my current state of mind. As you know I've really ridden a rollercoaster of emotions with regard to whether I like it here or not.
Now that I do like it, I worry that it's because I've become so brain-dead and desensitised to all that is bland, boring and just plain wrong about Australia.

I'm struggling to find a term that describes it - I suppose it's a kind of assimilation relativism.
Hmm quite like that. Sounds sufficiently pretentious. I think I'll talk to myself about it tonight when I'm getting quietly pissed on a cleanskin in front of another repeat of Man vs Wild.
Lol!!

Hmmm.....I can only say one thing. Collect and cultivate friends and acquaintances that don't do the brain dead Australian thing. It is a state of mind. You know me - I don't accept that Australia is universally brain dead and bland - only that certain demographics behave like that - that there is a segment of society that pains. There is a UK equivalent I recognise - it's just that they do other tedious things.

At least you are a teacher and do not have to hang around with a bunch of office oiks, or work in Autobarn.

If I could - l could send you The Age - you might be pleasantly surprised - the online version does not give justice to the print version.

As for Woolies - much of this constant sale thing is just a business model.
Kathmandu are terrible for it - all of their stuff is on continual discount and noone should ever be caught, or admitting to, paying RRP. But most people know that. Maybe it's an American model - I don't know and don't realy care either. I'm not a c****t nor are you and that's all that matters.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 9:25 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

I said to my little girl, hmmm.. think we need a rug in the living room. Ah Mum, she replies, you better get to Rugs a million.. they ALWAYS have 60% off ALL the time.

Says it all really....

(I did sit her down and talk to her selling strageties and bs offers!)...

Em x
Old Jul 11th 2010, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by emelems
I said to my little girl, hmmm.. think we need a rug in the living room. Ah Mum, she replies, you better get to Rugs a million.. they ALWAYS have 60% off ALL the time.

Says it all really....

(I did sit her down and talk to her selling strageties and bs offers!)...

Em x
Have you seen the price of their shite even with the 60% off
Old Jul 11th 2010, 9:32 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Have you seen the price of their shite even with the 60% off
Nah, never been in there - I think she was referring to the everlasting sales banners that are permantly in position on the outside of the shop!

Em x
Old Jul 11th 2010, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by emelems
Nah, never been in there - I think she was referring to the everlasting sales banners that are permantly in position on the outside of the shop!

Em x
I think his buyers are on drugs. The styles and prices are on another planet
Old Jul 11th 2010, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Lol!!

Hmmm.....I can only say one thing. Collect and cultivate friends and acquaintances that don't do the brain dead Australian thing. It is a state of mind. You know me - I don't accept that Australia is universally brain dead and bland - only that certain demographics behave like that - that there is a segment of society that pains. There is a UK equivalent I recognise - it's just that they do other tedious things.

At least you are a teacher and do not have to hang around with a bunch of office oiks, or work in Autobarn.

If I could - l could send you The Age - you might be pleasantly surprised - the online version does not give justice to the print version.

As for Woolies - much of this constant sale thing is just a business model.
Kathmandu are terrible for it - all of their stuff is on continual discount and noone should ever be caught, or admitting to, paying RRP. But most people know that. Maybe it's an American model - I don't know and don't realy care either. I'm not a c****t nor are you and that's all that matters.
The people that I have met through work have been great. It's more a comment on the general state of what I see and hear through the media.

Thank the Lord for ABC radio - which I love. The Australian isn't too bad either although as a political centrist (and not at all a fan of the performance of the Labor govt) I have become really concerned at the blatant attacks on anything Labor in that particular newspaper - it isn't even subtle anymore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.