British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   did i hear right,cheap airfare to kl (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/did-i-hear-right-cheap-airfare-kl-515793/)

supersonic4 Feb 20th 2008 9:33 am

did i hear right,cheap airfare to kl

Hi there,am I going mad I thought I heard that there was cheap airfares to kuala lumpur for $150 but I can't see them anywhere on the net,has anyone heard about it?

moneypenny20 Feb 20th 2008 11:06 am

Re: did i hear right,cheap airfare to kl

Tiger and AirAsia (I think the name is) run cheap flights to KL - I think from Brissie and or Melbourne. They are similar to Ryanair or Easyjet in the UK. Don't know where around KL they land. Generally the low cost lot find an obscure airport an hour or so further away than the main one.

I hope that helps but having read it back, I think it may not :blink:

Centurion Feb 20th 2008 11:17 am

Originally Posted by supersonic4 (Post 5958161)
Hi there,am I going mad I thought I heard that there was cheap airfares to kuala lumpur for $150 but I can't see them anywhere on the net,has anyone heard about it?

http://www.airasia.com/site/au/en/home.jsp

$155 AUD one way but includes all taxes and charges. Now how bloody good is that. $310 return !!!!

somme Feb 20th 2008 11:30 am

That is really good value ;)

Timbo-Em Mar 1st 2008 2:00 pm

£90 from KL to the goldie. Sensational. We are looking at coming over in mid June and one way flights with the major carriers are £500 if your lucky.

Now I just need to find a cheap flight to KL from Europe... any ideas?

Kooky. Mar 1st 2008 2:17 pm

I've flown Tiger to Hanoi from Sg and I really hope their long-haul service is better than their short-haul.

No assigned seats, causing everyone to jostle for prime position at the gate so they can run down the bridge and be first on the plane (although the website says you can now select them, for a fee).

15k luggage allowance so everyone tries to take the kitchen sink on as cabin baggage (I paid for extra in advance as it's a lot cheaper than paying at the airport, though at Hanoi they tried to charge me for it anyway).

In-flight catering consisting of curled up sarnies you have to pay for (and you are not allowed to take anything of your own on board).

Add to that the number of babies asleep on tray tables, and it wasn't one of my most enjoyable flights. :lol:

TiddlyPom Mar 1st 2008 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 6003519)

Add to that the number of babies asleep on tray tables, and it wasn't one of my most enjoyable flights.

:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Pollyana Mar 2nd 2008 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 6003519)
I've flown Tiger to Hanoi from Sg and I really hope their long-haul service is better than their short-haul.

No assigned seats, causing everyone to jostle for prime position at the gate so they can run down the bridge and be first on the plane (although the website says you can now select them, for a fee).

15k luggage allowance so everyone tries to take the kitchen sink on as cabin baggage (I paid for extra in advance as it's a lot cheaper than paying at the airport, though at Hanoi they tried to charge me for it anyway).

In-flight catering consisting of curled up sarnies you have to pay for (and you are not allowed to take anything of your own on board).

Add to that the number of babies asleep on tray tables, and it wasn't one of my most enjoyable flights. :lol:

Typical budget airline, pays your money, takes your choice :blink:

Kooky. Mar 2nd 2008 12:59 am

Absolutely. Ok for a short flight, if money is an issue, although the costs do add up. I won't bother with them again.

I was just thinking about the only other flight I've been on with unassigned seats. I think it was Air Caribe (if one of the Latin Lovers from The Lounge is lurking, they may correct this) from Cancun to Merida. Being anal, and a bit scared of such a small plane, I was stressing about the seating until a Mexican guy just said to me with a smile, "sit anywhere, man, no problem". The plane was like a bus, kept dipping down and dropping off/picking up passengers, and the staff brought round decent coffee and donuts.

So chilled, nobody pushing for the best seats...the difference in the cultures, I guess. :D