Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Depression / anxiety

Depression / anxiety

Old Oct 13th 2013, 9:10 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Depression / anxiety

Originally Posted by paulry
You're a mental health nurse aren't you? ......
Was going to ignore your post except for this - Sparkles is because I am a sparky - an electrician which I thought most people knew
Old Oct 13th 2013, 9:34 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Was going to ignore your post except for this - Sparkles is because I am a sparky - an electrician which I thought most people knew
Sorry, my mistake.

Now carry on and ignore
Old Oct 13th 2013, 9:40 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, my mistake.

Now carry on and ignore
No worries
Old Oct 13th 2013, 10:37 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

There seems to be a brigade here who are muddying the discussion with non-mental health treatments and therapies. Nice try though

--------------

[/URL].
Excuse me for muddying the discussion. I thought the Barbie was more a 'talk about anything' forum -I saw a post that struck a chord with me and answered it. I'll leave you to it.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Just an update as the OP of this thread. I have been off all depression / anxiety meds for nearly 8 months

I still struggle on many fronts but have been coping as well as any time over the last 20 years or so.

It is always in the back of your mind that you could head back down again and I have felt that I have been heading that way some days. But thankfully I seem to be keeping on an even keel these days.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Jon77
Just an update as the OP of this thread. I have been off all depression / anxiety meds for nearly 8 months

I still struggle on many fronts but have been coping as well as any time over the last 20 years or so.

It is always in the back of your mind that you could head back down again and I have felt that I have been heading that way some days. But thankfully I seem to be keeping on an even keel these days.
That's good to hear

Everyone has bad days - things happen outside of our control, bad news, etc. As long as you recognise it's a bad day, and talk about it if needed, things usually get better. I think we all learn coping mechanisms in one way or another so hopefully you've found what works for you
Old Oct 13th 2013, 11:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Errrm as you said earlier: "I will deal with any side effects as they come up, and keep assuring the doctor that if she stops them again I will just go elsewhere". That sounds like self medicating to me. You are grown up, your choice, you have assessed and balanced the pain versus the risks. And actually, given we are on the Depression/Anxiety thread, I understood you were taking the steroids to deal with depression or anxiety. There seems to be a brigade here who are muddying the discussion with non-mental health treatments and therapies. Nice try though

Likewise with the cannabis pot shot

Wrong
I will find a doctor who will work with me to prescribe the medication which works for me. I will not be getting the pills by any method and taking them without medical supervision.
I am not taking them for depression or anxiety, those are a side effect of the original condition. The steroids are actually controlling the side effect of a physical illness by preventing me from being deeply depressed, and yes at times verging on the suicidal. Is that good enough for me to be allowed to post on your thread? Not that I am really bothered, I will just go and post somewhere else, on a thread where I do not get accused of taking "mind-altering drugs" The nearest I get to those - and have ever got - is alcohol, and I'm not sure i want to listen to you lecturing me about that.............

=========================================

Paul, with my Mods hat on, I should remind you that people can actually post in whatever threads they like, as long as they do not break forum rules. Therefore they do not have to be posting only about depression/anxiety in order to join "your" thread. it doesn't necessarily "muddy" the discussion, but rather widens it and keeps the conversation alive.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Wrong
I will find a doctor who will work with me to prescribe the medication which works for me. I will not be getting the pills by any method and taking them without medical supervision.
I am not taking them for depression or anxiety, those are a side effect of the original condition. The steroids are actually controlling the side effect of a physical illness by preventing me from being deeply depressed, and yes at times verging on the suicidal. Is that good enough for me to be allowed to post on your thread? Not that I am really bothered, I will just go and post somewhere else, on a thread where I do not get accused of taking "mind-altering drugs" The nearest I get to those - and have ever got - is alcohol, and I'm not sure i want to listen to you lecturing me about that.............

Paul, with my Mods hat on, I should remind you that people can actually post in whatever threads they like, as long as they do not break forum rules. Therefore they do not have to be posting only about depression/anxiety in order to join "your" thread. it doesn't necessarily "muddy" the discussion, but rather widens it and keeps the conversation alive.
As the OP I didn't start this thread with the intention of it becoming quite this long running.

If people feel they are getting something out of it then great, perhaps mods should change the title to something a little more generic or perhaps shut this one down and start something else afresh ?
Old Oct 14th 2013, 1:04 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

That's great. If you don't mind answering, what strategies did you put in motion to help keep yourself on an even keel?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Wrong

I have to admit, I find your mod hat off stuff to be a bit contradictory so I'll steer clear from there in that case - too many potholes.

Your mod hat on comments: of course anyone can post anything that they like but on this thread I have always been about encouraging drug free mental health treatments - especially for the young but I found that some of the responses coming through suggested that I disapproved of all drugs used for all ailments. That is what my muddying the water comment was all about.

Otherwise, you know as well as I do that it's not my thread and it never was.

As the OP I didn't start this thread with the intention of it becoming quite this long running.

If people feel they are getting something out of it then great, perhaps mods should change the title to something a little more generic or perhaps shut this one down and start something else afresh ?
Apart from my belief that talking about mental health problems and awareness of the different ways that people have dealt with them is a benefit to all who are treading that nightmarish path, I have to concede that you as the OP are the thread owner and have every right to ask that it be shut down. Your call really ...Assuming some of the mods and their 2facebook buddies agree, that is.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 5:27 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

That's great. If you don't mind answering, what strategies did you put in motion to help keep yourself on an even keel?

I have to admit, I find your mod hat off stuff to be a bit contradictory so I'll steer clear from there in that case - too many potholes.

Your mod hat on comments: of course anyone can post anything that they like but on this thread I have always been about encouraging drug free mental health treatments - especially for the young but I found that some of the responses coming through suggested that I disapproved of all drugs used for all ailments. That is what my muddying the water comment was all about.

Apart from my belief that talking about mental health problems and awareness of the different ways that people have dealt with them is a benefit to all who are treading that nightmarish path, I have to concede that you as the OP are the thread owner and have every right to ask that it be shut down. Your call really ...Assuming some of the mods and their 2facebook buddies agree, that is.
I haven't made much contribution to this thread. My daughter was diagnosed with mild depression and our GP chose not to go down the anti-depressant route. Even after an unsuccessful suicide attempt her psychologist didn't feel it necessary. However, we know many other teenagers that take them along with counsellor visits and other advice such as diet and exercise and are just fine.

Medication has it's place as do many other therapies. They can happily co-exist. The only thing standing in the way is the judgemental attitude you have shown on this thread.

Last edited by northernbird; Oct 14th 2013 at 5:29 am.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 5:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

There is no reason for the thread to be shut as long as it stays within the rules. Not quite sure why you think facebook has anything to do with it, I have better things to talk to my mates about on there than BE moderating decisions - those are only discussed within BE, as they should be, they are nothing to do with any other site.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 9:32 am
Banned

Originally Posted by northernbird
I haven't made much contribution to this thread. My daughter was diagnosed with mild depression and our GP chose not to go down the anti-depressant route. Even after an unsuccessful suicide attempt her psychologist didn't feel it necessary. However, we know many other teenagers that take them along with counsellor visits and other advice such as diet and exercise and are just fine.

Medication has it's place as do many other therapies. They can happily co-exist. The only thing standing in the way is the judgemental attitude you have shown on this thread.
You clearly have a great GP. I hope that you share your good fortune and recommend them. From experience I find that good GPs are far more common than good psychiatrists.

I really don't care what you and your friends opinions are of me. All I know is I have some valuable knowledge to share and for as long as I believe it can help others then I shall continue to spread that message.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 10:20 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

You clearly have a great GP. I hope that you share your good fortune and recommend them. From experience I find that good GPs are far more common than good psychiatrists.

I really don't care what you and your friends opinions are of me. All I know is I have some valuable knowledge to share and for as long as I believe it can help others then I shall continue to spread that message.
'my friends' what do you mean by that? I have no problem with you spreading your message but I do have a problem with you judging other peoples choices.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 10:27 am
Banned

Originally Posted by northernbird
'my friends' what do you mean by that? I have no problem with you spreading your message but I do have a problem with you judging other peoples choices.
And you never judge anyone yourself?
Old Oct 14th 2013, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Mental unwellness is mostly linked to experience or perception traumas, stress and even by high intellect and creativity. Examples of the latter two include: Ludwig van Beethoven, Vincent Van Gogh and Isaac Newton. Imagine if their treatments included the chemically lobotomisations such as those applied to modern day sufferers. Dumbing them down would have rendered these people incapable of their greatest works.

Absolute twaddle, every aspect of your pronouncement.

Why do you think the brain isn't subject to physical disorders which manifest themseves as mental illness?

Depression does not generate inspired creativity. Bipolar sufferers are known for periods of huge energy and possibly creativity, but they have a different disorder from depression.

Anti-depressants which work properly free the patient of the impediment of dead-end thinking and restore a feeling of well-being and openness to ideas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.