Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Depression / anxiety

Depression / anxiety

Old Jun 2nd 2012, 3:57 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Depression / anxiety

OK, I have to get my nutritional angle in ... Since I started my research and changed my diet I am noticeably brighter and the world just seems 'more normal' again.

I guess I have been a bit down for such a long time (exacerbated by poor nutrition) that I had lost sight of what normal was. I seem to have been running on half power by default.

It makes intuitive sense to me that feeding anybody the right mixture of food/drink/vitamins is the logical first step to health, be it physical or mental.

Of course, some issues require further intervention but something as simple as good nutrition cannot be bad to start off with.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 4:56 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Just like Jenny McCarthy's son is "cured" of his autism?

Sorry, Paul, but your assertions that mental illness can be cured by diet and other 'natural' remedies is a load of shite. Manic depression is a chemical imbalance, just as many other illnesses are. It cannot be cured by eating different foods any more than cancer or MS or any other true illness can.
It could be that it works for some people and it doesn't work for others, but here every day I'm seeing proof that an orthomolecular approach using megavitamins does work for some mental ilnesses. It's been a miracle-like cure for us so it most definately isn't a load of shite. Maybe you haven't rigorously tried it? Maybe you haven't been guided by non-mainstream experts or in-depth research? Or maybe your circumstances are just different?

No personal views yet about a suggested cancer cure, etc - though it's something I'll seriously consider from a preventative point of view once we're completed the current challenge.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 5:01 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
It could be that it works for some people and it doesn't work for others, but here every day I'm seeing proof that an orthomolecular approach using megavitamins does work for some mental ilnesses. It's been a miracle-like cure for us so it most definately isn't a load of shite. Maybe you haven't rigorously tried it? Maybe you haven't been guided by non-mainstream experts or in-depth research? Or maybe your circumstances are just different?

No personal views yet about a suggested cancer cure, etc - though it's something I'll seriously consider from a preventative point of view once we're completed the current challenge.
If you look into the whole cancer thing then there is a widespread acceptance of the idea that correct nutrition has a huge preventitive influence and, in some cases, a big role in treatment.

It's not just the weirdy beardy tie-died hippy types either ...

But I guess mainstream is called that for a reason ... let's all just continue to treat the symptoms and write the prescriptions ...
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 5:34 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
If you look into the whole cancer thing then there is a widespread acceptance of the idea that correct nutrition has a huge preventitive influence and, in some cases, a big role in treatment.

It's not just the weirdy beardy tie-died hippy types either ...

But I guess mainstream is called that for a reason ... let's all just continue to treat the symptoms and write the prescriptions ...
The contrast between the approaches of the mainstream and non-mainstream is staggering.

I feel a profound mixture of relief and anger about it all. Relief that the nightmare is at last over but anger that the people who we turned to for help handed us only pharmaceuticals and hopelessness. I'll never trust a mainstream again.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 6:28 am
Mostly Harmless

The contrast between the approaches of the mainstream and non-mainstream is staggering.

I feel a profound mixture of relief and anger about it all. Relief that the nightmare is at last over but anger that the people who we turned to for help handed us only pharmaceuticals and hopelessness. I'll never trust a mainstream again.
Aye, it's the same with the people entrusted with dispensing conventional nutritional wisdom. They all trot out the same lines without thinking "Hey, is there actually any solid science behind this?".

I'm breaking the OH down gradually, she is on high blood pressure medication and I'm trying to convince her that cutting back on the carbs would probably help immensely.

She has her own blood pressure monitor and a long history of related issues so I don't see the big deal of just trying (properly) for a month and monitoring as she goes.

I'd put a large wedge of money on the numbers improving, and she'd drop some excess fat that she's been moaning about but all the while continuing on the same path And lecturing ME about how we have to have our healthy whole grains, 'everything in moderation' and the freaking food pyramids.

I, as ever, digress ...
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 7:21 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Where did I say I haven't tried it? Or that I haven't been guided by non-mainstream experts or in-depth research? Or where did I say my own personal circumstances had anything to do with my view?

Is it your son who has Asperger's? Has orthomolecular whatzit worked to cure him yet? If not, why not? And if this is such a wonderful treatment, why is it not being used mainstream?
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 7:52 am
Banned

Dot, I'm not going to be drawn into a stupid argument with you.

Folks, if you or anyone near you suffers from depression, psychosis, ADD, bipolar or been pidgeonholed with a similar mental illness diagnosis then you owe it to yourself and your loved ones to give orthomolecular treatnent a try. It might not work for everyone but it's worked for me and countless others. You'll never know unless you try.

Last edited by paulry; Jun 2nd 2012 at 7:58 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 9:23 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Dot, I'm not going to be drawn into a stupid argument with you.
I don't think it's a stupid arguement, but if you don't care to answer my questions I'll unsubscribe.

I think though, as someone who has close family history of bipolar, schizophrenia, Aspergers, psychosis and depression it's dangerous advice to suggest people try diet for their illness rather than proven medical treatments. The people in my family who suffer with these illnesses have tried all sorts of treatments - including lotions, potions and all manner of herbal remedies and diets - and the only thing that has provided any sort of relief from their illnesses has been medications. With the exception of my son, who has Asperger's, for which there is no treatment other than behaviour modification.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't agree more with Dorothy.

Non-mainstream methods can have a powerful placebo effect which makes the patient better. BUT there are no clinical tests that prove that the alternative mega-vitamins or whatever had any bearing on that outcome. Sugar pills would have the same effect if given the right hype.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

I have just looked up
http://www.orthomolecular.com/?mod=p...act=show&id=25

It is deceitful rubbish, the sort of thing that gives false hope or leads people to delay proper treatments (eg Steve Jobs).

If you have depression or any other mental illness please get mainstream treatment. I know what happens if I stop taking my meds - I get very ill, very quickly.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 4:52 pm
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lesleys
I couldn't agree more with Dorothy.

Non-mainstream methods can have a powerful placebo effect which makes the patient better. BUT there are no clinical tests that prove that the alternative mega-vitamins or whatever had any bearing on that outcome. Sugar pills would have the same effect if given the right hype.
I have just looked up

It is deceitful rubbish, the sort of thing that gives false hope or leads people to delay proper treatments (eg Steve Jobs).

If you have depression or any other mental illness please get mainstream treatment. I know what happens if I stop taking my meds - I get very ill, very quickly.

I wanted to give you karma for this, but wasn't allowed to, so here it is
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 5:23 pm
Banned

I have just looked up

This thread is not about cancer, it's about depression/mental illness and that is what I've been talking about here.

Your words above suggest that you haven't really got a grasp on how orthomolecular therapy is responsibly applied to sufferers of depression/mental illness.

Dismiss orthomolecular and megavitamin treatment if you like but for me, giving it a try has ended two years of despair and hopelessness.

What's that saying about a horse?
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 5:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

T

What's that saying about a horse?
If wishes were horses, beggars (and expats) would ride?
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 5:28 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If wishes were horses, beggars (and expats) would ride?

Old Jun 2nd 2012, 5:28 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.