Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Decent Chinese in Gold Coast

Decent Chinese in Gold Coast

Old Jun 2nd 2008, 3:30 am
Just Joined

Location: Originally from Glasgow, recently emigrated to Gold Coast from Northern Ireland
suzi27mcd is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Decent Chinese in Gold Coast

Anyone know of a good chinese restaurant / take-away in the Gold Coast. Have tried a few but not impressed so far. Any recommendations most useful !!!
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 3:54 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decent Chinese in Gold Coast

Originally Posted by suzi27mcd
Anyone know of a good chinese restaurant / take-away in the Gold Coast. Have tried a few but not impressed so far. Any recommendations most useful !!!
chinese food tastes completely different here to chinese in the UK, I loved chinese takeaway but have given up on it here its vile.

never been to china so dont know which of the two most resembles the real thing
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 4:04 am
Just Joined

Location: Originally from Glasgow, recently emigrated to Gold Coast from Northern Ireland

Originally Posted by Possums
chinese food tastes completely different here to chinese in the UK, I loved chinese takeaway but have given up on it here its vile.

We've found that it is so different too, which is why i asked. Hoped we'd just been unlucky !! Ah well, will have to make my own. Thanks for the reply though.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

None does.
Not even close in most of the places.

The only tip that can be offered is look for places where most of customers are Chinese.
Rare but happens.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all

I've had one from Kampung Malay in Bundall http://www.kampungmalay.com.au/

and also Parkwood Chinese, which is Parkwood Central Plaza, Cnr Central St & Olsen Av. has good food.

It's a good takeaway but I wouldn't eat in as the restaurant is not particuarly nice. Also they can't tell the time. They will tell you about 5 minutes when you ask how much longer the order will take, they actually mean 45! It is good food though, just give it about an hour before collection
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 4:18 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

We've found that it is so different too, which is why i asked. Hoped we'd just been unlucky !! Ah well, will have to make my own. Thanks for the reply though.
your welcome about the best I've had is china town in sydney but even that isnt the chinese we know, like I say who is to say which is traditional? I mean its chinese people cooking the stuff both here and UK but its just so disimilar

yep cooking it yourself is the way to go not the same though is it.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 4:19 am
(^v^)

Originally Posted by Mipik
None does.
Not even close in most of the places.

The only tip that can be offered is look for places where most of customers are Chinese.
Rare but happens.
soory missed this before I typed the other
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 4:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

soory missed this before I typed the other
No worries.

The main reason for this is that they cook what local customers want to eat.

Nowhere in China you can see chow mein on menu.

That it is very different from the food served in China is another story (probably applies to Indian/Thai as well).

The other thing to remember is that China is a rather large country with very different food in every area.

Sort of like saying European food, that would include Italian, Russian, Swedish and Irish food, all from the same place but a bit different.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 4:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mipik
No worries.

The main reason for this is that they cook what local customers want to eat.

Nowhere in China you can see chow mein on menu.

That it is very different from the food served in China is another story (probably applies to Indian/Thai as well).

The other thing to remember is that China is a rather large country with very different food in every area.

Sort of like saying European food, that would include Italian, Russian, Swedish and Irish food, all from the same place but a bit different.
Yeh, totally agree. Will just have to perfect my cooking to suit !!!
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh, totally agree. Will just have to perfect my cooking to suit !!!
Or venture up to Fortitude Valley
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

Don't know where you are, Suzy, but the Kampung Malay in Mudgeeraba is fab - as nice as any Chinese I've ever had, only tastier - mainly Malaysian menu, but with Chinese "favourites" as well. The Nasi Goreng is fab as is the Sizzling Beef
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:19 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

We like the one in Norfolk Village - Ormeau.

Nothing special to look at, but the food we all like and get's a from us ...
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JohnandMichelle
Don't know where you are, Suzy, but the Kampung Malay in Mudgeeraba is fab - as nice as any Chinese I've ever had, only tastier - mainly Malaysian menu, but with Chinese "favourites" as well. The Nasi Goreng is fab as is the Sizzling Beef
Thanks, menu sound fab. Currently in Coomera, but moving to Biggera Waters next week. Work in Burleigh so a minor detour on way home from work might be possible. Thanks for tip !!
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
We like the one in Norfolk Village - Ormeau.

Nothing special to look at, but the food we all like and get's a from us ...
Thanks for tip. must try that one before we move !!
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Stella340
I've had one from Kampung Malay in Bundall http://www.kampungmalay.com.au/

and also Parkwood Chinese, which is Parkwood Central Plaza, Cnr Central St & Olsen Av. has good food.

It's a good takeaway but I wouldn't eat in as the restaurant is not particuarly nice. Also they can't tell the time. They will tell you about 5 minutes when you ask how much longer the order will take, they actually mean 45! It is good food though, just give it about an hour before collection
thanks for tip. Must try these too !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.