Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Debut pronunciation drives me mad!

Debut pronunciation drives me mad!

Old Mar 16th 2012, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

buzz will become famous soon enoughbuzz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Debut pronunciation drives me mad!

The one that gets me is the way they pronounce Cannes (as in the film festival) - sounds more like Cairns.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by buzz
The one that gets me is the way they pronounce Cannes (as in the film festival) - sounds more like Cairns.
And Vice Versa - I got quite excited when I thought my company were sending me to the Sth of France for a conference, but it turned out to be Australia instead
Old Mar 17th 2012, 10:31 am
FiP
Forum Regular

FiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really nice

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
my main thing that pisses me off with Aussie pronunciation is oe sound. They seem to all pronounce it as a soft 'i'. McDonalds almost always becomes MicDonalds, Dymocks becomes Dymicks. There are many examples of this on TV and Radio
And stomick (stomach) and paddick (paddock) and butticks (buttocks)............
Old Mar 17th 2012, 10:36 am
FiP
Forum Regular

FiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really nice

And the Taubmans Endure paint advert on TV with the interior designer Shaynna Blaze (made up name methinks), Taubmans Enduwar??????
Old Mar 17th 2012, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Be careful in NZ - particularly with the words "six", "sucks" and "sex" - I'm sure there's much potential for comedic confusion.
My fave is from an Aussie child-minding friend. One day she had a new client mother from NZ who came in on the first morning, left her child to play with the five others already there, and asked my friend in a strangled flat-voweled accent "So, how often do you have six?"
Old Mar 17th 2012, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I do like gently copying my Aussie colleagues and caricaturing their accents. I enjoy altering 'merlot' to 'merlooooow' with the emphasis on the 2nd syllable or 'Maureen' to 'More eeeeeeen' in the same vein.

Another aspect of Aus-speak I've noticed is the incredible number of malapropisms that creep in, even on ABC radio etc

Like "tenants" for tenets etc you mean? Is that wot yous means?
Old Mar 17th 2012, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by FiP
And stomick (stomach) and paddick (paddock) and butticks (buttocks)............

Aaarrrrggghhhh